Chalmers - RFL Board should half their pay.

Like him or not, he raises some very valid questions though...

1. Are the salaries for officers of the governing body at the correct level and retained regardless of performance?

- £2m loss, Control of SL handed over, Staggering drop in overall playing numbers, Payments due to amateur clubs not being paid, Continued approval of club owners who are not fit for purpose, Professional clubs not fielding full teams, etc

2. Is it acceptable that the leading, world famous, and indeed protected by law, RFL competition doesn't have a sponsor in place?

3. Should SL clubs exclusively determine the rules of the competition and impose them on the rest of the game without consultation?

4. What analysis has been done on player welfare if the number of interchanges are reduced?

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I read with interest today that Steve Brown who is the outgoing CEO of the RFU got paid around £400k. Considering the vast gulf in the size of the organisations and turnover I find it staggering that the RFL is paying £300k to its CEO.

That number is interesting as his predecessor was paid £600k per year plus £100k bonus in 2015.

I think Wood was a tough one as he had been in a senior position for almost two decades so will have had natural increases.

I still have no issues with that number, or higher to get the right person.

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

That number is interesting as his predecessor was paid £600k per year plus £100k bonus in 2015.

I think Wood was a tough one as he had been in a senior position for almost two decades so will have had natural increases.

Neither have I for the right person. I do have a major issue though with jobs for the boys and low calibre people being appointed on that sort of money.

34 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Neither have I but in the scale of things, for the size of the organisation and the difference between the rest of the RFL employees, it was high.  If you were in his shoes, you wouldn’t turn it down.

However, that’s yesterdays news and Chalmers wish, to reduce the salaries, would t have so much impact.  

29 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Neither have I but in the scale of things, for the size of the organisation and the difference between the rest of the RFL employees, it was high.  If you were in his shoes, you wouldn’t turn it down.

However, that’s yesterdays news and Chalmers wish, to reduce the salaries, would t have so much impact.  

Where it is difficult is that whilst some of the numbers may be smaller, the challenges and complexities are not necessarily so, making it difficult to compare directly.

I wonder what Elstone is on, for a simpler remit.

Maybe before throwing these comments around Chalmers should pay back the money he was paid by Salford for doing nothing but making poor decisions such as Noble, Harris, and endless players with the tag of "character "

We need to widen the talent pool involved in RL.

47 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Where it is difficult is that whilst some of the numbers may be smaller, the challenges and complexities are not necessarily so, making it difficult to compare directly.

I wonder what Elstone is on, for a simpler remit.

Could be on a lot more.  SL coughed £500k to move Wood on, so the moneys there and it’s the 2nd £500k !  

A whole year of European RL internationals could be run in a simple, tiered, organised way for much less than his pay packet but RL doesn't have the money to do so. That's not to say that the CEO shouldn't get that money, but the money could be found to do it. The fact is international RL it isn't a priority for the code. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Interesting some of his comments. Obviously he didnt have a great time running NZRL. Are his comments based on his hardships and problems? Has he learnt much from his time? Its easy to criticize-and we all do it. But its not an easy job running a Organization even more so a Sporting one. No doubt the RFL have made and will make many mistakes. But how much of that is down to the RFL/Rimmer and how much of it is down to the attitude and willingness of the Clubs to work WITH the RFL? I just get the feeling Chambers has a bee in his bonnet and no matter what Certain people do they will always be criticized by him.

17 hours ago, Red Willow said:

Maybe before throwing these comments around Chalmers should pay back the money he was paid by Salford for doing nothing but making poor decisions such as Noble, Harris, and endless players with the tag of "character "

Funny how you haven't mentioned Koukash in any of this? He had a big say in which players and coaches to sign.

18 hours ago, Red Willow said:

I think Chalmers was back in New Zealand when Dr Koukash was 'assisted' by the RFL in appointing Noble.Just as it was probably the case when the 'rich,new' owners of Crusaders took over,despite warnings from the soccer fans,and when rich folk created Toronto.

Noble then took over the signings,bar perhaps Chase,who Dr Koukash admired.

Harris was appointed after being interviewed by Koukash.

( Shame Ellery Hanley never made a return to the sport while Harris was at Salford.)

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

22 hours ago, Damien said:

I read with interest today that Steve Brown who is the outgoing CEO of the RFU got paid around £400k. Considering the vast gulf in the size of the organisations and turnover I find it staggering that the RFL is paying £300k to its CEO.

Its just not right.  You can't cut cost in important areas and have no marketing budget.

Then pay your senior staff over inflated wages.

It would be like the local newsagent paying himself 100k a year and not having any papers or paperboys.

A certain amount of money has to be reinvested back into an organisation to ensure its functional.

3 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

You pay peanuts you get monkeys. It's all very well criticising the pay packets of those at the top but a good leader for the game would pay for himself many times over. Staff, especially senior staff, are not an expense but and investment. If we pay our CEO £10m a year but he brings in £100m a year extra it's a good investment. 

The issue with RL is that we don't seem to have gone out and found experience and talent that wasn't in the game for nearly 20 years now. It has largely been a churn of the same people moving ups down and across. 

This is why the game is often stuck in a churn of received wisdom and 'That's how we have always done it' thinking while fiddling around the edges and calling it innovation.

I firmly believe that new blood is absolutely necessary and even Elstone coming back in has come back in with some preconceptions and influence of his previous experiences with RL

What would we do without the current high quality regime.

If we pay people based on money made, then lets took money off them for revenue lost.

You cant have it both ways.

Archived