Fixtures 2019

Bedford Roughyed

Well we know what has to be done now , not a bad set of opening fixtures, nice to start with a couple at home. The two openers wont be easy, always tough against the Cumbrians but home advantage hopefully sees us get the points, North Wales will be a banana skin and not an easy place to get a result, Skolars i expect to beat at home, Newcastle away is possibly the biggest test in the first 5 fixtures coming relatively early. They look like potentially one of the strongest sides we will face with some very good recruitment. Donny and Hunslet are also very tough matches and will be up at the top end. Every single game is vital and some of the so called weaker clubs will be desperate to claim some scalps along the way.

Im fairly confident with our squad we can match anybody at home but our away form needs to be spot on. Its been a bit of an achilles heel for a few seasons.

Looking forward to seeing how the season pans out. Although people knock league 1 there are some pretty good matches across the league. I dont make predictions because they generally bite you on the arris, but i would hope we will be there or thereabouts come the final shakeup.

Going to be tight throughout the season, a good start will be massive to our chances of promotion.

Let the games begin......

@roughyed34 definitely, if we can keep our composure and see games out we should be fine. Sometimes winning ugly is what's required.

Defence was good on the whole last season it was being on the wrong end of a tight game too many times. 

Some of the experience we've brought in should help to control these games 

The thing I remember about Foster in that game is that he must have punched every member of Hornets pack that night ! Some obvious, some not so obvious.

It reminds me of John Cogger. He was playing for Runcorn Highfield at the time and all their first team players had gone on strike over wages. Runcorn turned up with Cogger ( their only contracted player so he had to play ) and their " A " team. Obviously Hornets won at a canter about 80-0 but Cogger really impressed me.

You could have forgiven him for taking it easy but he played like it was cup final, he was everywhere trying to stem the tide. He went a few better than Foster, he must have punched every Hornets player at some point in the game.

When I saw he'd signed for Oldham a bit later on I thought we'd missed a trick there. I'd have signed him on the strength of that performance alone.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 7:23 PM, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The thing I remember about Foster in that game is that he must have punched every member of Hornets pack that night ! Some obvious, some not so obvious.

It reminds me of John Cogger. He was playing for Runcorn Highfield at the time and all their first team players had gone on strike over wages. Runcorn turned up with Cogger ( their only contracted player so he had to play ) and their " A " team. Obviously Hornets won at a canter about 80-0 but Cogger really impressed me.

You could have forgiven him for taking it easy but he played like it was cup final, he was everywhere trying to stem the tide. He went a few better than Foster, he must have punched every Hornets player at some point in the game.

When I saw he'd signed for Oldham a bit later on I thought we'd missed a trick there. I'd have signed him on the strength of that performance alone.

If telling a tale please get it right Runcorn played Wigan on that day 

I may be mistaken regarding the striking players, it's a long while ago, this game was certainly around the time the Runcorn players were on strike. My recollection is that their players were still in dispute with the club. You'll have to take my word that Hornets won in a canter and Cogger was the only Runcorn player to really have a go that day. Maybe you were at the game ?

• 2 months later...

Make a note of these fixture changes

OLDHAM fans, and especially those who travel to away games, are advised that there are changes to two of our Betfred League 1 away games later in the season.

The game against Keighley Cougars at Cougar Park, originally scheduled for Sunday, May 26, will now be played on the previous evening, Saturday, May 25 with a 6.30pm kick-off.

The game at Doncaster on Sunday, June 9 was originally given as a 3pm kick-off, but it has now been changed to 5.30pm.

Archived