Gelling

As a Widnes fan, I'm quite happy with this, better for both parties. Gelling is a quality player for the Championship but he isn't a game changer. The current squad + Gelling wouldn't get top 4 so is there any point paying him? Would be nice to sign a half back but we can't risk paying these salaries with such a competitive league and looking at the situation Leigh are in. I'd rather sit 7th in the Championship every season than risk the longevity of the club by attempting to be ambitious and paying extortionate salaries for players that won't change much on the field.

43 minutes ago, nathanfilkins said:

As a Widnes fan, I'm quite happy with this, better for both parties. Gelling is a quality player for the Championship but he isn't a game changer. The current squad + Gelling wouldn't get top 4 so is there any point paying him? Would be nice to sign a half back but we can't risk paying these salaries with such a competitive league and looking at the situation Leigh are in. I'd rather sit 7th in the Championship every season than risk the longevity of the club by attempting to be ambitious and paying extortionate salaries for players that won't change much on the field.

Wonder how fit he is.

As a Dracs fan I like this signing of Gelling. He's a very good SL player. Will beef up the centre. Or do well at back row too. Happy to see him come on board. 

Much better than a player with a attitude issue. It's OK to have a couple like that with great talent but not half the squad. 

I think we can be top 5 this year as long as half backs click well. 

Allez! 

4 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Rumour mill says he's altered course from Widnes to Catalans.

Catalans supposedly submitted his name to the FFR XIII as one of their players last week. I wonder whether there's been some discussion with Widnes about transfer fees?

https://www.lindependant.fr/2018/11/26/dragons-catalans-anthony-gelling-nouvelle-recrue,4982423.php

Be interesting to know who this Jodie Buchanan they've signed is ? - maybe he's taken his half-brother's name?

7 minutes ago, JonM said:

Catalans supposedly submitted his name to the FFR XIII as one of their players last week. I wonder whether there's been some discussion with Widnes about transfer fees?

https://www.lindependant.fr/2018/11/26/dragons-catalans-anthony-gelling-nouvelle-recrue,4982423.php

Be interesting to know who this Jodie Buchanan they've signed is ? - maybe he's taken his half-brother's name?

I’d be more interested in how fit he is.  

Not sure whether he’s been playing or not and I remember the last player who’d been on ice for some time arriving, Willie Mason.  The single most embarrassing entrance I’ve ever witnessed in the game.

Gelling will be going to Catalans for the same reason he went to the NZ Warriors. You get to stay in a hotel every fortnight.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I was never a fan at Wigan. He is a liability at times and some fans seemed to like him more because he was a bit of a clown rather than because of his playing ability. He can certainly be a strong runner and often has a good work rate but the bad often outweighs the good.

As a Saints fan I used to love seeing Gelling in their side when he first come over. He was a liability. I just didn’t see anything in him to suggest he was any good and thought he was in the same class as David Vaeliki, Jerry Seuseu etc. However, towards the end of his spell at Wigan, he’d improved tenfold and looked a dangerous centre as you could get in Super League. 

Think he’ll prove to be a good signing in Super League. 

5 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

As a Saints fan I used to love seeing Gelling in their side when he first come over. He was a liability. I just didn’t see anything in him to suggest he was any good and thought he was in the same class as David Vaeliki, Jerry Seuseu etc. However, towards the end of his spell at Wigan, he’d improved tenfold and looked a dangerous centre as you could get in Super League. 

Think he’ll prove to be a good signing in Super League. 

Thank you. I agree totally. He was very good towards the end. That he did get a NRL contract in the season past and play 7 times shows he's no waste of option either. He got that deal in difficult circumstances and still was able to do so. Speaks highly of him. 

He's a good signing for any SL team really. Particularly my team where we don't have a great deal of depth. I may love Dracs however I know we don't have a great depth of talent. 

Archived