Widdop wants UK return

The Dragons statement pretty much reads as he will stay for 2019 but expect him to leave after. I'd expect his future post 2019 to be confirmed before the start of the season. In knowing this I think Leeds is a real possibility now. Myler would have a year left but I'm sure if he knew Widdop was coming he'd be looking elsewhere for a longer deal rather than sitting a year out at Leeds. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

Weird that they have been discussing his future at the club yet he is under contract for 3 years. Has he already made his mind up? 

You don't usually get a club statement unless there is something going on. Is this the usual, the player is going nowhere and we are committed for the upcoming season only for him to move the week after.

"finish my career in uk" is code for "once I'm past it in Aussie I can get a nice little earner in uk just passing the ball around without breaking sweat"

I guess it means that "past it" means either 31 or 32.  

But being deeply cynical it means that his agent has worked out that Leeds have more money than sense. 

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

The Dragons statement pretty much reads as he will stay for 2019 but expect him to leave after. I'd expect his future post 2019 to be confirmed before the start of the season. In knowing this I think Leeds is a real possibility now. Myler would have a year left but I'm sure if he knew Widdop was coming he'd be looking elsewhere for a longer deal rather than sitting a year out at Leeds. 

Leeds wouldn’t have a marquee spot would they?

23 minutes ago, Alffi 7 said:

Leeds wouldn’t have a marquee spot would they?

Hurrell and Merrin are the marquee players. Hurrell has a 3 yr deal and Merrin has 4yrs so he could sign when his contract at St George expires in 2021. Myler has 2 years left so you’d assume if he came he’d take that position

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

"finish my career in uk" is code for "once I'm past it in Aussie I can get a nice little earner in uk just passing the ball around without breaking sweat"

I guess it means that "past it" means either 31 or 32.  

But being deeply cynical it means that his agent has worked out that Leeds have more money than sense. 

Usually you would be right, but the club to put out a statement is not the norm.

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

True,  but if a club is putting out statements it usually means the player is already one foot out the door. 

1 minute ago, Mattrhino said:

True,  but if a club is putting out statements it usually means the player is already one foot out the door. 

I think they've had to though because other reports were suggesting he's leaving now and I think they wanted to clear up that he will be there next season but most likely not after that. It would require a hefty transfer fee for him to leave before the start of the season. Only way I can see Dragons allowing this is if they've agreed something with SJ. 

21 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Hurrell and Merrin are the marquee players. Hurrell has a 3 yr deal and Merrin has 4yrs so he could sign when his contract at St George expires in 2021. Myler has 2 years left so you’d assume if he came he’d take that position

Widdop has confirmed he’ll play on in 2019, I assume he’ll be over for the 2020 season.

2 hours ago, Alffi 7 said:

Widdop has confirmed he’ll play on in 2019, I assume he’ll be over for the 2020 season.

Or not.  It would just as easily be inferred by both parties that it could be the 2021 season or after.   Why sign a 4yr contract?  Who is going to pay off a 2yr contract for a 30 - 31 yrs old player to pay a record breaking salary?  A player on the cusp of going over the hill?

There are 2 clubs that spring to mind. To be fair one of them would appreciate a goal kicker whilst the other is just plain  desperate.  Nice work if you can get it if you're an agent.

18 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Maybe but if he does come here in 2020 he won’t go to Leeds as a marquee player if he goes to Leeds at all

We all know contracts mean very little these days. There’s no guarantee Merrin and Hurrell will stay the length of their contract 

On 11/27/2018 at 8:51 PM, The 4 of Us said:

Someone has posted on Twitter that they have heard from 2 sources that Widdop, Johnson and Sammut on way to Wigan. Not sure that isn’t a bit fantasy land but will melt the internet if it happens! 

One down two to go https://www.wiganwarriors.com/#xOESla7qRW5sw73q.97

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

Archived