Public Meeting at the Vestacare Stadium

Dave Naylor

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No excuses now for the detractors and folk who question the club. Chance now to listen and contribute. 

Lets await the excuses anyway, wrong date/time, its at Whitebank,they wont listen etc ,after this public meeting i expect that this forum will be a better place after the negative brigade have attended the meeting and asked all the questions they desperately need answering. 

Well done Oldham, progressive move to involve the fans,lets hope many positives come from this meeting, its a good turnout and the club and fans can go forward together for a brighter future.

Great to see the club moving forward proactively, echo 34's sentiments.

Certainly think it would be fantastic to see some ideas put forward to get more youngsters interested and involved with the club.

After all we need them to become future supporters.

Great initiative.

As someone who looks on from afar, I  can only offer these observations rather than attend.

Inevitably, people suggest discounts, free games etc. When Latics have done this there has been practically no knock on effect. Only lasting 1 game.

Success on the field will be the biggest driver, and that is looking promising for 2019.

I'd say aim for longer term lower cost. Get the players out into schools as much as poss. Although 1 year deals hamper this, there is a trend now to players being loyal to Roughyeds despite only 1 yr deals, so something to build on.

Why not spend some time with Latics Community Trust. (OACT), they are doing some amazing work.
Dave's social media work is second to none, but fans need to do there bit. Although I much prefer Twitter, Facebook is undoubtedly they more popular reach. facebook Advertising specific to Oldham can be comparatively cheap. I did it for a community page to the town I live in. Only cost £50, Oldham is about 10x the size. Maybe more effective to specifics, like this meeting, or a popular game such as the opening fixture(s) or Keighley etc
2811 media is a new company owned by Dave Broadbent, I don't know costs, but he has been succesful with clubs like Fylde, Guiseley as well as LAtics, and seems to work on a deal by deal basis rather than the full time cost of a marketing team (I appreciate it should not overlap  the work Jule Collins is doing)

Maybe a squadbuilder, or stadium builder fund for people to contribute to. Fans will find their won ways, publicise on here.

Mad celebrations for tries!
https://www.thedrum.com/news/2018/01/12/how-brave-and-bizarre-social-strategy-put-bristol-city-fc-the-map

Hopefully this will spur other suggestions.

It's a difficult one for me, a great incentive for an inclusive we are in this together. 

The buck does stop with Chris, apart from the players and coaches together with Anne, I assume, the rest of the staff are volunteers. 

For me the first thing that the club needs is a commercial member of staff, this will also be linked to brand Oldham. Get the message back out to the people of Oldham, that in fact there's a good news story. 2019 may provide Oldham a chance to play at Wembley. That will Contect with the folk. 

Let kids in for free with an adult, get the player into schools, post crb check. 

Give families discount on tickets offer on line ticket facilities 

Bring the commercial side upto date. 

But most of all stop the lies 

Agree with all of the above posts,

From my own point of view (and im sure its been mentioned a few times lol),

1. Getting kids interested in the game/Oldham is a must, flood schools in Oldham,Tameside and also the amateur clubs in the area with offers/deals/free tickets, give them a specific area at the ground like the standing bit down by the scoreboard so they have a little area to call there own and a identity within the ground (without being sexist similar to the old "boy pens" at many past grounds) 

Bring back a Junior Roughyeds club to give the kids something they feel part of and are proud of.

2. The club needs to have to have more presence around town, flyers in pubs, advertisements in the shopping centre, radio adverts etc

3. The supporters club ORSA, to have a push for new recruits and branch out a bit from the Quiz nights, have a trip to the GF, night at the dogs/races as was done before, sportsmans dinners and the like. They do a good job but i always feel that we miss a trick not expanding events.

4. Have a "family" day at a specific game with activities for the kids and players not involved with the matchday squad mixing with them.

5. Do something like a "expansion team" buy 2 get 1 half price ticket offer, maybe for Coventry.West Wales and London which are possibly the anticipated lowest gates of the season (no disrespect to any of those sides) tbf Coventry brought a few last season.

6. Bring a mate half price with a voucher in the programme.

7. For some away games may be try official transport, it doesnt have to be a 52 seater but even a 17 seater to start might get fans without transport to go to aways too.

8. Lapsed fans and "stayaways" need to be brought back into the fold, the product on the pitch is excellent and the atmosphere around the fans is generally good, lovely clubhouse now and for whatever people think of the Vestacare the viewing is pretty decent although of course facilities inside the ground are basic (but much improved), they are more than acceptable for this level -a couple of portaloos around would help. 

Somehow a way needs to be found to encourage people to give it a go, forget the surroundings and concentrate on the game and support the lads on it.

The list is pretty much endless and as imaginative as people want it to be, but this meeting is a start and a very welcome surprise, i didnt expect one to happen.

Its a case of use it or lose it really, time is ticking now for most if not all lower division sides and something has to be done, we know we have been terrible at marketing etc in the past.

Dave has dragged us into the 21st century with the social media side and that deserves massive credit for the effort and time Dave has put into everything,im sure im not alone in thanking him for that.

Hopefully ideas will be thrown about on Tuesday, Julie and co will im sure have there own thoughts and schemes and that will be interesting in itself, as long as a marketing strategy is implemented by the club and its not just lip service then its a positive move by the club to actively be trying to increase crowds and interest in ORLFC.

Spot on again 34, especially for me getting youngsters through the gates.

As we've mentioned a few times in our conversations it's certainly the time to think about forming a Junior Roughyeds.

Will be a trek for me on Tuesday night, however I'm determined to be there.

All the above were fired at Chris in 2015, and the only thing that happened is dave naylor came back after years away. I think Dave's first game back was at Rochdale and Dave was hooked. With his IT skills set up an independent website which was better than the official one, Chris gave Dave the IT stuff, social media, photographer, video man. 

So what I am saying is, if dave hadn't come to the Rochdale game nothing would have happened, with the best will in the world Chris hasn't a clue about the inter Web. 

I don't know if I want to go, been bitten before, we need kids to come back to the games but that means getting the parents in. 

So for me, the club should try and get the team to visit pubs in the Oldham area for a rugby night, give tickets away, win shirts get the players known in the area. Bill the spirit 

If we have a run in the 1895 Cup that will be good for the town that's for sure 

I understand that nothing was "done" after those meetings but tbf its the club this time holding the olive branch for supporters to attend a meeting to outline the plan going forward and asking for fan input,something that has not happened previously iirc.

Different scenario imho to the delegation that approached CH in 2015.

The benefit and value of the meeting will only be worthwhile if the club implement the new marketing strategy etc and aggressively pursue the possibilities. With a seemingly new direction with more people involved on the club side and a wave of optimism for the coming season i think that people should give the club a chance and see where it goes.

I sense a bit of a wind of change coming,wether that is actually the case will not be decided on Tuesday but in the coming weeks/months/years as the marketing takes hold (hopefully) and results are positive.

If the club are 100% committed to increasing the crowds,visibility,profile of the club then im all for it,regardless of past short comings and failures.

One thing is for sure, if marketing etc fails because of general apathy from the town/lapsed fans/anti CH brigade/ground critics and so on ,then we wont have a club in a few years time its that simple, we will know then that there is no appetite for ORLFC in the town/area.

The 1895 cup is a good new competition, but realistically our chances of getting to Wembley are still pretty slim,but it is theoretically possible. If that happened and we got to Wembley and took x number of fans how many would be at Vestacare the following week. We know how fickle some fans are, everyone loves a final. To retain the interest for all games not just the "glory" ones is the $1m question.

However its done everyone needs to get behind the new initiatives or else pretty soon there will be no ORLFC to even discuss,never mind watch.

Guess we will all have to wait and see what plans are in the pipeline and then wait to see if the plan is carried out and is successful.

Benefit of the doubt with the club for me at the moment.

This meeting is certainly very welcome and is a great opportunity for ideas to be forthcoming from all who really care about the future of the club. No doubt there will be suggestions from the fans that can be worked on, as well as the initiatives that the club may have in mind, but we have to bear in mind what is achievable without the appropriate resources. Those resources are not just financial, as clubs below Super League level rely heavily on volunteers to fulfil most roles, a resource that is known to be generally disappearing from the scene in most organisations.

As a club, there is a lot of goodwill from a long standing group of volunteers, some out of necessity, fulfilling more than one role and many of those are aged over 65. So, whilst some good ideas may be forthcoming, it's perhaps worthwhile considering how those ideas are achievable without the addition of new volunteers becoming involved. 

I am looking forward to the meeting as much as anyone else and hope that some very positive ideas come out of it.

Hopefully, there will also be a new band of volunteers coming along to take the ideas forward! ?

14 hours ago, clifford said:

All the above were fired at Chris in 2015, and the only thing that happened is dave naylor came back after years away. I think Dave's first game back was at Rochdale and Dave was hooked. With his IT skills set up an independent website which was better than the official one, Chris gave Dave the IT stuff, social media, photographer, video man. 

So what I am saying is, if dave hadn't come to the Rochdale game nothing would have happened, with the best will in the world Chris hasn't a clue about the inter Web. 

I don't know if I want to go, been bitten before, we need kids to come back to the games but that means getting the parents in. 

So for me, the club should try and get the team to visit pubs in the Oldham area for a rugby night, give tickets away, win shirts get the players known in the area. Bill the spirit 

If we have a run in the 1895 Cup that will be good for the town that's for sure 

See Clifford, we have a hand in everything Ha Ha.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

Some great ideas there from R64 and others. Getting flyers out to pubs, shopping areas etc. should be a priority because it's a relatively low cost way to spread the word. There has been little publicity in recent years and I believe there are many Oldhamers who aren't even aware that the town still have a semi-pro rugby club. I'm not sure if radio advertising would be cost-effective but maybe a few press releases to local stations (eg. 96.2 The Rev, Tameside etc) could grab some free publicity (sorry if that's piling even more work onto poor Dave Naylor ?).

Logic raises a good point about needing more volunteers which again is about spreading the word. There may be potential volunteers out there but if they're not aware that they're needed or in what roles, they're unlikely to offer their services.

As R34 said, the Club are now offering the olive branch so it looks as if they're willing to listen and act upon at least some suggestions so maybe things will improve and there's an exciting year ahead for you all. Fingers crossed.

There are Rugby People still interested in ORLFC going forward but the meeting described above doesn`t get to the root of many long standing fans deep concerns especially seeing the current situation  re Chris` health challenge... Currently the club stands or falls totally on him...

As far as I am aware no other human being is in any way clued up in every nuance of running the club, whats at stake, how stressful it is (No Doubt), or the level of sustainability presently or a development plan...That must change...People need to buy in to the club...there is so much more that could be achieved with a relatively small change of ethos....If Only....

If only....

Rugby Oldham develop a "Pound" rush (aka penny rush) on the Whitebank road side (Avro on board)...terracing £1 transfer to be used by RO to develop the game locally.... a stake for Rugby Oldham to develop the ground to basic minimum standards...cos it aint there yet. Thats just one idea outside the box.

Year on year doing the same thing and expecting different results has got us where...Square one!

2 hours ago, eclecticsheep said:

First  lets be able to see the game on the Whitebank road side eh Dave?

The ground is not ours, so is surely not the subject of the meeting, so you can forget that and get on what really matters! 

Surely the point of the meeting, is to air views on how we can all pull together in a common interest of taking the club forward. What really matters, is to increase the fan and income base to ensure a squad that will hopefully, fulfil the aim of promotion.

That is the reality of the situation in League 1, with all the potential changes in central funding. 

Ground is not Oldham rlfc's club to alter. In addition planning would be required. AVRO from the sounds of things want to improve the ground further at some point. 

Let's see what happens on Tuesday, see what the total purpose of the forum. Remember stronger together 

Who is going to chair the meeting so as to keep order?

Also, how are the questions going to be put to the chair? Will it be hands up, shout the loudest, question on a card, only one question per person, etc. I feel this needs sorting, otherwise it will be a fiasco.

Nevertheless, a great chance to air our views and to listen to the decision makers about where they see our club is going.

Archived