2.2m people paid for live Rugby League matches in 2018

I found this interesting:

https://twocircles.com/eu-en/articles/sports-golden-decade-takes-attendance-and-spending-records-into-2018/

where we stand in relation to soccer, crciket and onion, among other sports.

2.2 million out of 74.6 million sports tickets sold in the UK were for RL matches.

5 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Union must've forced them to use the union calculator when they worked out the union attendance

Did nearly 50m go to football? There must be official records and to me the numbers seem way to high.  And we have not finished 2018 anyway.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

As I said on the other thread where this was mentioned it is great news. It is also news which the RFL and the sport generally should be shouting from the roof tops to attract sponsors.

I did look but found no thread....

5 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Did nearly 50m go to football? 

Almost certainly. It's 25m for just the Premier League and Championship excluding every other league and all the internationals.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Did nearly 50m go to football? There must be official records and to me the numbers seem way to high.  And we have not finished 2018 anyway.

I'd have thought that the true figure for Football would have been higher.

16 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Don't forget that that is the number of tickets sold, not the number of different people who attend - divide by the number of games played to get an idea of the number who go to games, for instance I reckon we get about 130k watching RL regularly.

My maths is normally decent, but dividing 2.2m by the number of games will get you the (not very useful) average attendance of all pro' RL matches at all levels, from internationsla nd cup finals to league 1. How you extrapolate how many individual RL fans there are is a bit of guesswork isn't it?

That does show how biased media is as well, when attendances show how close we are to cricket. What we have to remember as well is how much of that cricket is internationals, take away internationals and domestically we are miles ahead of cricket. When you think, less that 100k of our figure is internationals domestically we are pretty good! 

Further on the internationals, it would be interesting to see the figure for internationals in Union. Think of all the autumn internationals and six nations games for the home nations, take that away and that is a massive chunk lost off their figure.

Just shows the importance of a strong international game. That is where the publicity and thus the advertising and money comes from. I would argue we are stronger than cricket domestically and probably not as far away from union as people like to make out we are and yet because they have massive international games they get all the coverage. I imagine as well that domestic attendances are made stronger by the international game. More publicity for the sport, more money filtering down to clubs to advertise and get people through the gates. 

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

That does show how biased media is as well, when attendances show how close we are to cricket. What we have to remember as well is how much of that cricket is internationals, take away internationals and domestically we are miles ahead of cricket. When you think, less that 100k of our figure is internationals domestically we are pretty good! 

Further on the internationals, it would be interesting to see the figure for internationals in Union. Think of all the autumn internationals and six nations games for the home nations, take that away and that is a massive chunk lost off their figure.

Just shows the importance of a strong international game. That is where the publicity and thus the advertising and money comes from. I would argue we are stronger than cricket domestically and probably not as far away from union as people like to make out we are and yet because they have massive international games they get all the coverage. I imagine as well that domestic attendances are made stronger by the international game. More publicity for the sport, more money filtering down to clubs to advertise and get people through the gates. 

I sort of agree, but do domestic cricket and domestic rah rah really get that much more publicity than us?  Maybe in the print media they do but neither are exactly high profile in this country.  I wouldn't have a clue who the dominant domestic rah rah clubs are or who gets to their big finals. 

12 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

I sort of agree, but do domestic cricket and domestic rah rah really get that much more publicity than us?  Maybe in the print media they do but neither are exactly high profile in this country.  I wouldn't have a clue who the dominant domestic rah rah clubs are or who gets to their big finals. 

In some newspapers they certainly do and for a long time they were far and away the dominant media where nearly all of the population got their news.

16 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

The point I was making was that those sports get a lot more coverage because of the international game and because of that coverage people want to advertise and invest money in those sports more.

If you take internationals out of the equation I agree with what you're saying. I get a lot of my sports news from BBC sport website and in terms of domestic cricket there are sod all stories on the main page about it. If you didn't know it you would think all cricket is is the international game. Much the same with union as well. When I read what union pundits and fans talk about, everything is about the six nations and the next world cup.

No doubt the fans of Twickenham motif is true for a lot of union fans. You see this when harlequins or saracens have a league game at twickers. 10,000 at their own ground and 50,000 in Twickenham. Odd mentality. No question league fans are more dedicated to their clubs than either cricket or union. I've sort of gone into another point there; I'd love to see some graphs on dedication and involvement of fans. Not really a way of doing it but you could get season ticket numbers, season ticket renewals, ask fans without passes how many games a year they go to, ask fans how much they spend on merchandise, that kind of thing. Bet a tenner Football #1, rugby league #2. 

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

10-20-30

That should be the plan. There is 200k difference between RL and cricket. 10 new events by 2020 with a 30k average will take us above that.

That should be the aim for the game right now. Create 10 new events that average 30k and that will out is in 4th place.

We have the GF the CC final the magic weekend they already counted in.

So 10 new annual events averaging 30k. So internationals, 9s, first game of the season, heritage games ' the final round' we can also look to add 30k to the cc semis so 60k, for the SL semis so about 50k.

Overtaking cricket is a big headline, it's a sign of growth, it's something to show to broadcasters and sponsors and fans nd newspapers. 

Cricket has their World Cup and an Ashes next year while we have no international fixtures. RL will probably be a million behind in 2019. 

In 2020 the hundred will launch and probably be at least an initial success. 2021 could be very interesting though. 

3 hours ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Union must've forced them to use the union calculator when they worked out the union attendance

3,200,000 attended either internationals at Twickenham, murrayfield or Cardiff or a premiership rugby game in 2018 so far with a few weeks to go and an invitational game at Twickenham this coming weekend....not counting pro14 games or either of their euro comps here either...... That figure includes 1.8 million at 17 Internationals at those 3 national stadiums, highlighting both the importance of a regular national stadium and regular home games in boosting a sports appeal.

3 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

There won t be many more tickets sold at pro RL games this year. I ll have to work out the football figures but it seems quite accurate.

2 hours ago, parklandswolf said:

Cant get my head round why the Beeb give tennis so much prominence as it is quite a way behind the rest, maybe its due to participation numbers.

plus they are grovelling to sir cliff quite a bit at the min

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 hours ago, parklandswolf said:

Cant get my head round why the Beeb give tennis so much prominence as it is quite a way behind the rest, maybe its due to participation numbers.

And athletics, if there is even the most minor of athletics events going on in the deepest, darkest reaches of nowhere, it is top story on beeb with live updates and analysis and all sorts.  Amazing the amount of athletes on bbc sports personality every year when they have seemingly done sod all.  51 times athletes have been in the top 3 placing for the main award, next highest is formula one at 14.  

I'd like to have seen the RFL acknowledge this. A statement along the lines of thanking everyone who has attended a game in the UK this year and how we aim to move higher up the list and increasing the figure in years to come.

It's a good news story and we should be publicising it.

Some good points on here about the RFL using these stats for leverage with media , sponsors and broadcasters.

Plus the value of internationals as if that wasn't obvious enough already.

It shows just know loyal club RL fans are. 

And how soccer dwarfs all else in UK sport.

Quite right marklaspalmas, football is the juggernaut that is hard to match for any other sport.  The figures are quite interesting, Rugby League and Cricket are almost equal and there are only 3 sports selling more tickets than those 2 in the UK.  The figures don't really fit with the view that RL is not a national sport or that it is a minor sport.

It also doesn't fit with the idea that attendances are declining in recent seasons.  SL has gone down slightly but it is more than made up by the increase in the lower leagues.

Archived