Most picturesque Rugby grounds?

A bit of an off-season banter thread, but I saw an article recently about the most picturesque football grounds in the world and saw some stunning locations in Croatia, Andorra and Iceland.

Now I know Rugby League won’t have the same dramatic scenery for our grounds, but we do have some nice locations like WIN Stadium in Wollongong with its beach background and Central Coast Stadium with its palm trees. 

What are some nice Rugby grounds in the UK in terms of scenery? I’m not familiar with all of the grounds, but the amateur club Siddal has a very picturesque ground (below) with its dramatic backdrop.

What are some others?

D0F8EF32-9F53-43DE-8246-22B566EE5604.jpeg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, goldcoaster said:

This one? Very nice

I don't recall seeing this when I last visited underbank, unless they've changed grounds. They are set in the countryside, and have a stone wall that runs the length of the pitch, that comes very close to the corner flag in one of the corners. The odd cows head appears over the wall from time to time, ha

B1E2AB21-6648-4EF6-AD93-72F9F5D245FF.jpeg

Papcastle Road (Broughton Red Rose, Cumbria).

Great views of the mountains in one direction, River Derwent a field away in another direction and no buildings in the immediate vicinity (other than the changing rooms).

The pitch is about as flat as the Cumbrian fells and on more than one occasion I recall herding sheep off the pitch before training.

It's a shame the first team has folded, only junior rugby there at the moment I believe.

1 hour ago, goldcoaster said:

This one? Very nice

B1E2AB21-6648-4EF6-AD93-72F9F5D245FF.jpeg

Naughty boy :punish:

thats Huddersfield RUFC!!! will be there in a couple of weeks with my sons junior RU team.. i feel dirty even saying that ?

lovely ground though

Just now, Davo5 said:

Wath Brow.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Beat me to it Davo.

I was going to put that I hate to say it but The Brow's ground takes some beating and the old sportsfield was probably even better - apart from the walk back. Kells when they play on the welfare looking over Whitehaven to the fells isn't too shabby either on a nice day

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Certain of the French clubs play in some of Europe's most scenic spots.

Wingham Park, home of the West Coast Rugby League where NZ played GB in 1954, has a pretty scenic backdrop. Not much in the way of rainforest or glaciers around UK club grounds...

Show Reply

4 minutes ago, JonM said:

Certain of the French clubs play in some of Europe's most scenic spots.

Not a great photo, but Wingham Park, home of the West Coast Rugby League where NZ played GB in 1954, has a pretty scenic backdrop. Not much in the way of rainforest or glaciers around UK club grounds...

Show Reply

WinghamPark.png

I agree with you, JonM based on the pictures sometimes posted by audois and other French correspondents on here.  Perhaps we can se some more pictures of the French grounds, please?

45 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Beat me to it Davo.

I was going to put that I hate to say it but The Brow's ground takes some beating and the old sportsfield was probably even better - apart from the walk back. Kells when they play on the welfare looking over Whitehaven to the fells isn't too shabby either on a nice day

Walking down to the old brow pitch in horizontal sleet was never ever fun....

Archived