Most picturesque Rugby grounds?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Rob said:

Papcastle Road (Broughton Red Rose, Cumbria).

Great views of the mountains in one direction, River Derwent a field away in another direction and no buildings in the immediate vicinity (other than the changing rooms).

The pitch is about as flat as the Cumbrian fells and on more than one occasion I recall herding sheep off the pitch before training.

It's a shame the first team has folded, only junior rugby there at the moment I believe.

Had a look at this. Very nice

FE22D415-C0EE-46F1-B26C-207D94E20230.jpeg

BFB63F79-9642-48AD-86AD-4A99916407E3.jpeg

15 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Yup, if you're on the wing, always cut inside. And they'll have some seventeen stone monsters waiting for you!

:bye:

Rugby Union, I know ... but Pontypool Park is the prettiest rugby ground in Britain.

image.png.0ab12be3a4e586de509847017de1ec80.png

even playing at second row you could end up in the wall when it was wet... slip and slide!

24 minutes ago, Rob said:

Where is the second picture? (Not Papcastle Road, but a very nice backdrop regardless)

Taking a guess but I think that could be the pitch East of Cockermouth as you are heading toward Keswick, Tarn Close I think it's called. I'm basing that on the football posts, definitely not Broughton Red Rose

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

7 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

I recall Huyton's ground had a row of poplar trees giving a nice view from the stand; shame the surrounding area was not so pleasant. 

Blimey, we're clutching at straws now! Trees at Huyton. :-)

How about Riddlesden from Lawkholme Lane?

B.C. (Before Cougermania)

If we're having Huyton, Whitehaven should get a look-in...

Haven Calling

Millom ARLFC's Devonshire Road is pretty good for scenery. Nice views of Black Combe and the Kirkby fells on the far side of the Duddon estuary. The view of Black Combe is better from Millom RU's Wilson Park. This shot was taken during a Millom-Wigan St Judes NCL ARL match, switched from Devonshire Road because the pitch was being relaid...

Get Fell In

8 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

I seem to recall Wiggington Road/Clarence Street in York was a nice location, but that was in my youth when lots of things looked attractive that no longer do! Sorry no pictures.

You could see the Minster through the trees at the south end. It's Wigginton, by the way - no third g.

York programmes of the Sixties often used that view of the Minster on the cover.

This aerial shot (below) was on the cover of the programme for York's last game at Wigginton Road/Clarence Street. All that survives is the little oblong building to the right of the main stand. Flats cover the site now. Wigginton Road is to the right of this view. Below that is where York went next, Huntington Stadium (as depicted on the programme for its opening game, against Keighley). At the bottom, two shots from the last York match at Huntington Stadium, against Hunslet. This is the site for the 8,000-capacity community stadium being constructed for York's rugby league and football clubs to share.

12949075954_022ffbb95c_k.jpg

22445892404_4b8c38f521_k.jpg

15203214689_a0c70d750d_k.jpg

15203377058_af3e97d984_k.jpg

St Gaudens when they played at the Sports Centre with view of Pyrenees. Limoux ground was nice until the urban expansion caught up with it !

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Always enjoyed my trips to Clarence Street, a proper, homely RL ground like Post Office Road or even Thrum Hall,full of atmosphere with a good crowd in, but sadly of another era (like much of RL) My true favourite is North Sydney Oval, pitch like granite in the centre where the cricket strips were and lots of wonderful old fashioned stand's and tree's surrounding it, perfect.

Archived