Club Chaplain

Michael Ashton

Supporters may remember that a few years ago we had Father Jim as Chaplain of our Club and after sometime he moved to Carlisle. He was a very popular figure around the Club but was never replaced.

I now see in the Club Website that the new Vicar of St Marks has asked to be the Club Chaplain. He played semi-pro Rugby League for various teams including Salford,Rochdale & Oldham. There is a very interesting article on the WEb site which is worth reading.

I understand your view and I might be wrong but I think the basic idea is if anybody connected with the Club, male or female, has something private or confidential they want to talk about other than close friends or family he is the man. No idea whether that's the sole purpose and I don't know what Father Jim did last time.

I think this is the guy that was club chaplain at Oldham.

His last game as their chaplain was when they played the Bears last season.  He did a little speech and explained he was moving to Barrow. He seemed to be a nice guy.

I have no religion but lots of people do and so I think it is a good idea that a sounding board is available.  Especially if players are troubled. Terry Newton comes to mind.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Tony was Chaplain at Oldham for about 8 years and is a great bloke. Well liked by players and fans alike. He obviously didn't divulge the pastoral stuff he did but i know he was a great help to a mate of mine whose dad died and really looked after one player who had drugs issues. I also see someone mentioned Terry Newton, i believe Tony and other Chaplains spoke to the RFL  about the care of players suspended, banned and in retirement which brings great pressures on some lads and now we have State of Mind and Chaplains in most clubs. You've got a good un! 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived