Super league club asks players to pay for preseason camp

Davo5

1 hour ago, Rioman said:

Circa £5k to take a squad of players to Tenerife for a week in January.  I suggest you do a bit of research on holiday prices.

The club asked players to CONTRIBUTE £250 towards pre-season training, no-one has said that's how much it will cost, It probably will be all-inclusive, as it IS well out of Tenerife holiday season, so prices are going to be cheaper, and very few (if any) restaurants or bars are going to be open at that time of year

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

The club asked players to CONTRIBUTE £250 towards pre-season training, no-one has said that's how much it will cost, It probably will be all-inclusive, as it IS well out of Tenerife holiday season, so prices are going to be cheaper, and very few (if any) restaurants or bars are going to be open at that time of year

But they did say how much it was, £250 from the players and £17K from the club.

2 hours ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Don't get the issue. Players given a choice, contribute £250 for a week away in the sun or slogging it out in the rain and snow in northern England.

Doesn't affect anyone else other than the club and it's players so again why are people having issues with this.

FWIW, clubs scratching around for players to finish off a season is small time. 

Surely the question should be which location allows for the best prep? Then take them there. No asking where they want to go. 

17 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Riu Bravo in Palma, Majorca do 7 nights all inclusive for £461pp, for 2 people, from 10.01.19, flying from Manchester, I am sure a club could negotiate a cheaper deal than that for 30 people

It would be nice to think it wasn't just Chris Chester checking Teletext, while Michael Carter gets on the blower.

But, this being RL, it is probably exactly that.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

It is a nonsense to even put this to players. Peer pressure comes into situations like this which just isn't fair for people who have families and bills to pay. 

If clubs can't afford to cover the options, they shouldn't be options.

But, in true RL style, this is just a moan from the likes of Carvell who isn't known for facts and detail - it could easily have been the players demanding an abroad trip and the owner just saying 'if you fund it'.

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

They’re not going for a holiday, you know that right?

There’s a couple of decent training facilities in Tenerife that sport clubs regularly use, they probably went to one of those rather than an all inclusive holiday surrounded by pensioners. 

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Not wanting to go too far off topic, but Tenerife is open all year round. Much different to mainland resorts that turn into ghost towns by Oct

24 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

They’re not going for a holiday, you know that right?

There’s a couple of decent training facilities in Tenerife that sport clubs regularly use, they probably went to one of those rather than an all inclusive holiday surrounded by pensioners. 

yeah but to be fair the coach can at least put them into Kids club for half a day and actually get some rest by the pool with a pint watching people walking past if they go to a resort.... bet he cant do that at one of those swanky training centres!

26 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Come on, were talking 250 quid here. RL players probably pay that weekly for thier Nandos tab.

Its not that the players can't afford it  Just shows the club up for bad planning.  If they needed it that much, why not reduce the player wage budget by £5k-£10k

27 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Its not that the players can't afford it  Just shows the club up for bad planning.  If they needed it that much, why not reduce the player wage budget by £5k-£10k

Although I do not know all the factt, it was implied as a choice so not deemed necessary.

28 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Not understanding the power dynamic between employer and employee isn't a strong argument. Confusing it with the dynamic between customer and supplier is even worse. 

Not sure what you're argument is about. There are plenty of work places where you may be asked or to pay for trips, expenses, parties, uniforms, food etc... just becuase it is a sporting organisation shouldn't really make a difference. 

It seems as though it was a choice of what the players wanted to do, and I assume the club will be paying for the majority of the expenses. 

I agree it does seem small time, but it is what it is. Businesses do have to draw lines somewhere. That 5k raised by the players may be the difference in keeping the part time tea lady in a job. You never know.

Depends on where they are going. If they are going to somewhere like the T3 sports camp then that will cost a substantial sum. It has some of the best facilities in Europe, Olympians like Adam Peaty go there to train as do many football clubs and world class boxers.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

10 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Not sure what you're argument is about. There are plenty of work places where you may be asked or to pay for trips, expenses, parties, uniforms, food etc... just becuase it is a sporting organisation shouldn't really make a difference. 

It seems as though it was a choice of what the players wanted to do, and I assume the club will be paying for the majority of the expenses. 

I agree it does seem small time, but it is what it is. Businesses do have to draw lines somewhere. That 5k raised by the players may be the difference in keeping the part time tea lady in a job. You never know.

What kind of places do you refer to out of interest. I'm not disagreeing, but I'd never work anywhere that would want me to work away and pay for myself.

The club asked the players if they wanted a warm weather training camp and if so then it could be done if they contributed £250 each towards the cost. It not as if they said they must go. Carter himself also paid up.

Also to suggest the club pays the players less so they didn't have to contribute, well that's just six of one and half a dozen of the other.

If the players didn't have an issue with it, why is everyone else getting so bent up about it? 

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I guessed a rough group of 20 players and they are being asked to pay £250 each.

So that's £5k the club doesn't have.

I stand by my statement that if they're lacking money for that then there will be gaps elsewhere too.

Such as halfway through the season asking the players to wash their own uniforms and bring their own balls to games. And then taking a 10% paycut to finish the season.

The SL ought to be looking into this.

£250 taken from pre tax earnings and transfered into a club jolly.  £15 per day for 10 days all inclusive in the sun.  Poor buggers.

BTW has Mr Integrity tweeted any facts yet?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

19 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What kind of places do you refer to out of interest. I'm not disagreeing, but I'd never work anywhere that would want me to work away and pay for myself.

You have never heard of work places charging for uniforms , work parties or not paying for travel expenses to meetings etc..

2 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

You have never heard of work places charging for uniforms , work parties or not paying for travel expenses to meetings etc..

Not a professional sports team. That'd be downright...unprofessional.

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Very few workplaces ask employees to pay for the costs of performing their job. 

It's not a complex idea that being offered a choice isn't always a choice and this is especially true when there is a clear differential in power in the relationship.

Is a 19 year old fringe player who may only be earning 12-15k a year really going to say now when all his teammates have said yes even if he can in no way afford it?

It is an unethical abuse of power to even ask. 

You have no idea how it was presented to the players, just like I don't 

I think you underestimate how many workplaces may ask employees to help out or are even forced to buy equipment necessary to do there job.

In a perfect world it wouldn't happen at all.

Archived