Sharks Troubles

“More details are emerging on the Cronulla Sharks’ financial woes, after the club yesterday sacked 10 staff members following a $3 million loss on the 2018 season.

That move should save $1.5 million, but the club faces around a $2 million revenue hit after the loss of key sponsors Opal Solar (front of jersey), Bang and Olufsen (back), and Martec (sleeves).

According to The Daily Telegraph, the club nearly secured a $6 million major sponsor for the next five years, but it fell through following Andrew Fifita and Josh Dugan’s antics on a podcast three months ago.”

‘To lose one might be considered as misfortune; to lose two or three...looks like carelessness’ as Oscar Wilde nearly said.

3 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

Exactly what Holmes is going to say when he gets found out in the NFL...

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

• 2 weeks later...

Remember in 2014 when Flanagan was banned from contacting Sharks players because of that Supplements problem at the club?

Well it appears that he did contact players.

Club statement:

Cronulla have released a statement surrounding the recent news regarding head coach Shane Flanagan.

On Wednesday morning, news surfaced that Flanagan made contact with his players during his 2014 year-long ban, despite rules stating he was to leave his players alone during those 12 months.

The Sharks have released the following statement, and have stood behind Flanagan.

The full statement can be seen below.

In response to media reports this morning, the Sharks will continue to fully cooperate with the NRL Integrity Unit to bring the relevant matters before them to a conclusion.

After self-reporting a salary cap indiscretion to the Integrity Unit, further issues relating to the 2014 season have been uncovered and have come under investigation.

The NRL Integrity Unit has informed the Club the investigation into the 2014 matter will be finalised prior to Christmas, while the salary cap investigation is unlikely to reach a conclusion until the New Year.

Shane Flanagan is our Head Coach, he is contracted to the Club for 2019 and he will remain in his role as Head Coach.

With a face like that he is the little boy that Santa Claus forgot. Rumours on Sharks forum of Holbrook being sounded out. Of course Sharks say he will not be sacked  giving him the dreaded vote of confidence.Sharks respond to Flanagan allegations

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

I'll have the same face if Barrett somehow becomes the next coach as rumored in some places.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Surely there can't be any more painful twists and turns at Sharks this off season?

Well:

A third Cronulla Sharks director has handed in his resignation, as the NRL continues to look into the salary cap issues at the club, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.

Paul McCarthy, who was a member of Cronulla’s audit, risk and compliance sub-committee, spoke to the Sharks’ board earlier in the week and tended his resignation with immediate effect.

McCarthy joins Craig Ayrie and Paul O’Neile in exiting the club over the past three months, with McCarthy only in the position for less than nine months, after joining the board in March of this year.

The NRL’s investigation into the club’s salary cap stems from the Sharks’ self-reporting six months ago.

Cronulla CEO Barry Russell was believed to have contacted the league after finding an undisclosed payment, although the NRL still need to determine if that was the only breach of the salary cap, or if the Sharks have more to answer for.

Daaada. Daaada. Da da da da......

(Jaws)

Farmduck's post on another thread

NRL de-registers Shane Flanagan and Wests Tigers CEO

The NRL has de-registered Cronulla Sharks coach Shane Flanagan and Wests Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe over separate breaches.

Cronulla have installed John Morris and Jim Dymock as interim coaches while the Tigers will need a new CEO after the club was punished over an undisclosed agreement to pay Robbie Farah as an ambassador when he finishes his career.

The Flanagan decision stems from revelations he had dealings with the club regarding the recruitment and retention of players while he was suspended in 2014 over the Sharks' peptides scandal.

"Part of those conditions was a requirement that the club not allow Mr Flanagan to be concerned directly or indirectly with the club whilst he was suspended," NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said.

"That message was reinforced a number of times to the club, and to Mr Flanagan during his suspension.

"The conditions that applied to Shane Flanagan's 2014 suspension were crystal.

''Shane and the club appear to have ignored those conditions."

The Sharks have also been fined $400,000, the amount that had been suspended from the $1 million fine handed down in 2014, and handed an additional fine of $400,000 for the breach.

This is from another forum sums up how I feel

"There we were, lucky to be even surviving the whole saga and our coach and club are being smartarses and completely ignoring the conditions. The NRL were probably tempted to rub us out there and then.
But no humility from us, no take your medicine and learn from the mistakes, no we just ignore it all and chuck a big brown eye at the governing body."

I thought premier league football was rotten.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

The NRL needs to cull a couple of Sydneyside clubs to open up for other area's such as the second Brisbane team the oft touted Central coast area or even Perth. The actions of the Sharks and the forlorn West's are playing into their hands, the other club probably in their sights are the Bulldogs and they too seem to be going through the horrors at the moment.   It's really like these club's are playing into their hands, though It's interesting to speculate if the punishment's would be the same if it was the Rooster's, Dragons or Broncos involved, maybe they are just smarter at covering their tracks, salary sombrero and all!

51 minutes ago, Irish Saint said:

Farmduck's post on another thread

NRL de-registers Shane Flanagan and Wests Tigers CEO

The NRL has de-registered Cronulla Sharks coach Shane Flanagan and Wests Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe over separate breaches.

Cronulla have installed John Morris and Jim Dymock as interim coaches while the Tigers will need a new CEO after the club was punished over an undisclosed agreement to pay Robbie Farah as an ambassador when he finishes his career.

The Flanagan decision stems from revelations he had dealings with the club regarding the recruitment and retention of players while he was suspended in 2014 over the Sharks' peptides scandal.

"Part of those conditions was a requirement that the club not allow Mr Flanagan to be concerned directly or indirectly with the club whilst he was suspended," NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said.

"That message was reinforced a number of times to the club, and to Mr Flanagan during his suspension.

"The conditions that applied to Shane Flanagan's 2014 suspension were crystal.

''Shane and the club appear to have ignored those conditions."

The Sharks have also been fined $400,000, the amount that had been suspended from the $1 million fine handed down in 2014, and handed an additional fine of $400,000 for the breach.

This is from another forum sums up how I feel

"There we were, lucky to be even surviving the whole saga and our coach and club are being smartarses and completely ignoring the conditions. The NRL were probably tempted to rub us out there and then.
But no humility from us, no take your medicine and learn from the mistakes, no we just ignore it all and chuck a big brown eye at the governing body."

I thought premier league football was rotten.

Sharks, given the previous long running investigation and outcomes, seemed to have ridden the storm well. Then we have this behaviour from the club and Flanagan which just seems stupid to say the least, just asking for trouble. So now Sharks lose their coach and apparently have been fined a total of $800,000 (half being the amount that was suspended from last time - as a good behaviour bond!) Ye gods.

7 minutes ago, Irish Saint said:

Yesterday, I lost my Sharks, Premiers wolly beanie. Wonder if Sharks will be stripped of their Premiership?

Losing your hat an omen?

On the second point, wouldn't that already have been announced if it was to happen? Premierships have been stripped in the past!

Don't these guys know how to cheat properly?

I'm always astounded by the amount of people who are so computer illiterate that they even use their professional emails (It happens every single day in every business sector and probably is one of the reasons why the job of competent investigators is so easy, just need to read the papers to know). If you're going to break the rules/law, be smart about it. First rule: don't leave any written trace behind you.

Flanno was dumb for breaking the terms of his suspension back in 2014, and even dumber for leaving a trail that easy to pick up and follow. A good plumber he might be, a lousy spy he certainly is. Cloak & dagger stuff ain't his go.

I don't advocate cheating, I believe the NRL did the right thing in this instance (although they're not always that efficient and/or thorough in their investigations/handling of suspect matters), but this is typical Cronulla. That level of incompetence is staggering.

I thought I'd seen it all in my 20+ years following this club, but it's got to be the icing on the cake.... until next time.

* Subject to change

Surely not, or as my friend would say Shirley Knott! ...

If the Sharks are crippled financially the NRL would take immediate control of the cash-strapped club, according to reports.

Fines totalling $800,000 were dished out to the club over the Shane Flanagan saga on Thursday, and further penalties are expected once the salary cap breach investigation is completed in January.

These significant hits to Cronulla’s coffers would throw the club’s immediate future into doubt, with the Daily Telegraph reporting the NRL’s considering the relocation of the one-time premiers.

Veteran league writer Dean Ritchie claims the NRL have held “private talks at the highest level” because the governing body cannot afford for Cronulla to dive into bankruptcy without having a contingency plan.

Ritchie says the option of relocating the Sharks to either Brisbane or Perth has been raised.

Of course, the Sharks — who endured a $3 million loss in 2018 and are currently without jersey sponsors — are confident they can avoid such a scenario, and have reportedly guaranteed two financial injections to keep them afloat in the short-term.

Speculation surely... if... if ... if...

Well If Cronulla do get two or more big money injections then maybe none of the bankruptcy, NRL takeover, or relocation talk would apply...

Within the positives of this report there are one or twoareas of concern to possibly keep in mind.

At least the club is putting forward some positives for its players and fans aiming I guess to reassure the NRL they ate viable where they are and relocation to Perth would be unwanted and unnecessary:

As reported by Sporting News Australia’s NRL Leaks the Sharks submitted solvency paperwork to the NRL on Friday to prove their short-term financial stability.

The NRL has accepted the Sharks’ financial model, quelling fears the embattled 2016 premiers could be forced to relocate to Perth.

And in further positive news for Sharks fans News Limited on Sunday reported Cronulla are set to receive a cash injection of $9 million before the start of the 2019 NRL campaign.

The much-needed funds will come from the multi-million dollar property development on land adjacent to Shark Park.

According to reports Cronulla recorded a loss in excess of $3 million in 2018.

After a series of off-field controversies, including remarks made by Andrew Fifita and Josh Dugan during a mid-season podcast, the Sharks are yet to secure any sponsors for 2019.

The Sharks are also nervously awaiting the completion of a salary-cap investigation after new CEO Barry Russell self-reported suspicious activity relating to the 2015 season.

That investigation uncovered more than 50 emails sent from Flanagan to club officials during his 12-month suspension in 2014, leading to his proposed deregistration this week.

But despite the constant cloud of controversies Mezzatesta told the Sunday Telegraph the ‘resilient’ Sharks will survive and thrive for several years to come.

The club is showing a good deal of resiliance in the face of all their problems.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished with Sharks. Went to their website on my phone scrolled down to shop. Sadly would not let in met with this message. "we have detected you are trying to connect us from a country that is a member of the European union we are not permitting such traffic at the moment" If i was on my laptop i would have pasted a copy of the screen shot.

I then went to the sites of 4 other NRL teams went to shop and gained access  no problem.

Thanks for the memories Cronulla but this  is basic racism.

I tried to order from the Sharks official store, never could. They don't ship overseas they told me! :D

Never told me that Japan sucks though.

* Subject to change

29 minutes ago, Vichyssoise said:

I tried to order from the Sharks official store, never could. They don't ship overseas they told me! :D

Never told me that Japan sucks though.

There was no problem shipping overseas when they won premiership.

I thought you were joking Irish Saint, then I went to look on their shop site and found this:

C0D2525E-A271-48EA-95C6-43ECB8C1A900.thumb.jpeg.dbd8be23ef214255562ba073e75ec84d.jpeg

Are they saying they can’t or won’t comply with these data protection rules? By the way Sharks there should be no new sentence at the ‘We are not permitting’ part. It is just the second part of your sentence. How complicated. Writing in completed thoughts. Is.

2 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

There was no problem shipping overseas when they won premiership.

Well, that's news to me. In 2016, I had to go through the NRL's online store to get all the memorabilia I wanted. I had an email somewhere of some sort of manager explaining me that.

I even thought they still held a grudge for the Kokoda Trail Campaign.

Edit: It looks like they have East Asia (does that include Japan?) on their list of destinations.

* Subject to change

2 hours ago, Graham said:

I thought you were joking Irish Saint, then I went to look on their shop site and found this:

C0D2525E-A271-48EA-95C6-43ECB8C1A900.thumb.jpeg.dbd8be23ef214255562ba073e75ec84d.jpeg

Are they saying they can’t or won’t comply with these data protection rules? By the way Sharks there should be no new sentence at the ‘We are not permitting’ part. It is just the second part of your sentence. How complicated. Writing in completed thoughts. Is.

Must be the consequence of Flanno's indiscretions... No risk taken whatsoever form no on. :D

* Subject to change

Shane Flanagan has resigned as head coach of the Sharks effective immediately.

The premiership-winning mentor and the club released a joint statement on Monday.

“Shane was our first premiership winning coach, he is the coach of our team of the half century and he has given exceptional service and dedication to our club,” Cronulla chairman Dino Mezzatesta said.

“He worked tirelessly to build our team and our club into a competitive force and he will forever hold a special place in the club’s history.

“While disappointed his tenure at the Sharks will come to an end, Shane can look back with pride on some outstanding achievements during his time at the helm.”

Flanagan was deregistered by the NRL last month after it was found he had breached conditions that he could not communicate with the Sharks during his 2014 suspension over the club’s peptides scandal

• 4 weeks later...

Archived