20/40 Kick

SamRLYC

For me the 40/20 is a good reward for working out of your red zone area and then having a great kick into touch on the 20 yard line you deserve to be rewarded...

The proposed 20/40 kick will make a sham of rugby league, we base our players on being tough and defending hard, the reward for keeping a team in the 20m zone is lost if you can kick it out of play into the opponents 40m area and get the ball back. Teams will opt for a kick to save effort rather than driving the ball out. 

I personally think this rule is very close to the Rugby Union one of kicking it out of the 25m zone. we want the ball to be in the hand more not booted up field to get out of the hard areas. 

27 minutes ago, SamRLYC said:

For me the 40/20 is a good reward for working out of your red zone area and then having a great kick into touch on the 20 yard line you deserve to be rewarded...

The proposed 20/40 kick will make a sham of rugby league, we base our players on being tough and defending hard, the reward for keeping a team in the 20m zone is lost if you can kick it out of play into the opponents 40m area and get the ball back. Teams will opt for a kick to save effort rather than driving the ball out. 

I personally think this rule is very close to the Rugby Union one of kicking it out of the 25m zone. we want the ball to be in the hand more not booted up field to get out of the hard areas. 

Why would it? It requires the exact same level of skill as the 40/20 does but under arguably a lot more pressure (as the ball will be your opponents from where you kick if it goes out on the full) so I think the reward on offer if it is achieved is fair. It's also worth bearing in mind we get a successful 40/20 kick on average once every 2 games - personally I think the 20/40 would be utilised (and therefore successful) even less than that, so let's not be worried about turning into union where pretty much any ball inside the 22m is kicked to touch. 

16 minutes ago, SamRLYC said:

I don't know.... I would like to see it trialled.... It would force teams to keep some players deep which will create space... And even open up opportunity for counter attack when teams botch up a attemped 20-40.....

It would actually be hard to execute too as there is very little time in RL after the PTB to set up for a kick like this.... Particularly if on the back foot. 

Worth a trial this... Let's see it. 

10 minutes ago, SamRLYC said:

I just feel it is turning the game into a kicking game and the driving out will be less necessary 

See I don't see it that way. RL is often accused of being a little one dimensional (5 drives and deep kick) - especially the NRL with it's obsession with completed sets. For me this allows the creative players to change it up a bit and as Southern just said, have the defensive team make decisions about dropping players out of the line etc.

Like I said previously I don't expect this to be utilised anymore than the 40/20 currently does and the rarity of that means that it is applauded as a piece of great skill when it works - I think this will be the same. Some will cry it kills the 'arm wrestle' of the game - well I say good, the arm wrestle can be very boring sometimes. 

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

See I don't see it that way. RL is often accused of being a little one dimensional (5 drives and deep kick) - especially the NRL with it's obsession with completed sets. For me this allows the creative players to change it up a bit and as Southern just said, have the defensive team make decisions about dropping players out of the line etc.

Like I said previously I don't expect this to be utilised anymore than the 40/20 currently does and the rarity of that means that it is applauded as a piece of great skill when it works - I think this will be the same. Sone will cry it kills the 'arm wrestling' - well I say good, the arm wrestle can be very boring sometimes. 

Yea i can understand that, and possibly will be used more to get the defenders to think. A trial of it would be good to see. 

We might as well just have a small round ball and play tennis.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I think its good to trial Possible new Rules. Some will be a waste and others will be more of a success. The game needs to keep evolving. I am not too sure what this rule will bring to be honest but lets see it in action and see if its worth looking further in to. I think we need to keep an open mind on such things just the same as Coaches need to keep an open mind on new Training and playing patterns.

6 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Why would it? It requires the exact same level of skill as the 40/20 does 

No it doesn't. The distance might be the same, but the target is twice is big. It is effectively twice as easy to do.

Kicking the ball towards a 40m touch line will make the game into a kickathon.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

2 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

No it doesn't. The distance might be the same, but the target is twice is big. It is effectively twice as easy to do.

It could also add excitement. Team A goes for the 20-40, they are caught short by the deep lying winger of team B.... Who proceeds to run it back, crossing the field to start a fast counter attack..... 

It would add to the game imo....anything that helps the game offer other things to 5 drives and a kick is good, as it offers different strategies to win then...

Presumably the idea is to force teams to drop their wingers back more which might allow for teams to attack wide in their own red zone.

But I doubt it will happen that much.

If they’re adding 20/40 to 40/20 surely any 40m plus kick to touch should have the same result. It has always been an arbitrary rule.

Cricket, not long ago they changed the rules to discourage a side kicking the ball dead in order to force a 20m restart as that was thought to be an advantage for teams under pressure in their own half. Now they are making it positively worth while! A definite increase in salary for accurate distance kickers who’ll be the heroes of the the guys who currently have to try and get their team up field from their own line by hard yards. A side under pressure in their 20 loses nothing as they’d be trying to kick it as far as possible anyway.

Haha! A sham! Farce! ...or just an interesting idea worth trialling?

This would be a high risk play that teams playing the percentages will rarely go for. But it would give teams pinned in their own end a potential way out, and if wingers dropped back to defend it, it would even encourage backline attacks from your own goal line. I like the concept and think it's worth trialling in pre-season games. 

3 hours ago, Tonka said:

We might as well have hoops instead of posts and all wear bibs and skirts.

Netball crowds in Australia are often bigger than Super League crowds so they probably could teach you something.

8 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

When are the authorities going to learn that genuine RL followers are tired of having various rule changes every season ? Also, how can newcomers to the game be expected to understand it when the rules are constantly altered ?

Who makes the suggestions for all these changes and are supporters ever asked for their opinion ?

I suspect the answer to the second part of that question is "No" while I also suspect it is some coaches who often suggest new rules just so they can organise situations for their own advantage.

OK .. you want a rule change ?  What not do away with scrums following a knock-on or a forward pass, etc and instead just have a handover to the other team ?

Why ? Because scrums thesedays are a farce  - even the players don't bother packing down properly thesedays because they know whoever puts it in gets it out ... so why bother ?

At least scrums used to get twelve players out of the way of open play for a short while but nowadays the forwards more often than not quickly get back into play before even one tackle has been made.

Oh yes, I forgot, scrums will be wanted by the coaches to give their highly-tuned and ultra-fit athletes a rest.  Any other reason why they are required ?

A magnificent post.

It starts by ranting about 'genuine' fans being sick of rule changes, and ends by suggesting a significant rule change.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

11 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

That’s a good point, but what about if the zone for that kick was reduced to between the opposition 40 and 20m line, effectively bringing the whole thing 20m forwards?

14 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

That’s a good point, but what about if the zone for that kick was reduced to between the opposition 40 and 20m line, effectively bringing the whole thing 20m forwards?

So basically the rule would become: "If you can kick it 40m and it bounces before it goes out, you get the ball back."

I'd query how difficult it would be to officiate that. It was easy before when it was just one line you need to think about, but when there are several it must be hard to keep an eye on.

Is it really needed?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Archived