2025 World Cup - Not in US

Damien

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Last year's World Cup in Australia gave the game a huge boost" but pitiful crowd's unfortunately, if they can be ar**d it looks like going there again. See big Nige is performing upto expectations and still spouting bulls**t.

An article with full of quotes from Wood but not a mention on the RLIF website. Even the 9s announcement was more of a NRL announcement than a RLIF one.

I do wonder if there is any point in having highly paid people at the RLIF when the RLIF has such limited resources and when that money could be spread so much better. Ultimately the RLIF just does whatever the NRL, and to a lesser extent RFL, decide anyway so they are powerless. Yes have the RLIF to drive the international game and develop in new markets but instead of wasting money at the top on powerless execs, that do little and jollys here there and everywhere, just let the head of the RFL and head of the NRL share the top roles.

I am not sure the criticism of the RLIF is justified in this context. The best things to have happened to our game in my lifetime have been the multi team world cups. These have been organised by the RLIF. 2021 has already locked in the largest guaranteed windfall for the international game. Even 2017, while in terms of Aussie engagement a chance missed, has resulted in the Pacific nations taking huge strides forward. If all it did was give us Tonga it did well. 

2025 was conditionally awarded to the US, on the basis that the financial arrangements being offered materialised. Clearly they have not done so. This shows that the process has worked, and we as a game have time to seek new bids for 2025. NSW could be fabulous. A festival of league on its home patch. Or across the Pacific, or France, or even over here again. All good. 

i would love france but wonder if 2 tournaments in the northern hemisphere in a row could do damage to any grounds being made in the pacific.. I dont know that area at all well enough but if they were to say along the lines of "as long as we are in it and our team is strong enough to compete (not the world cups issue) then we dont care whether it is northern or southern hemisphere our fans will travel, get behind the team and/or watch at home" then lets put it in France and give them a real boost.. if the pacific say "we need it in the southeren hemisphere for exposure to our fan base etc" then it needs to go down there. 

7 minutes ago, RP London said:

i would love france but wonder if 2 tournaments in the northern hemisphere in a row could do damage to any grounds being made in the pacific.. I dont know that area at all well enough but if they were to say along the lines of "as long as we are in it and our team is strong enough to compete (not the world cups issue) then we dont care whether it is northern or southern hemisphere our fans will travel, get behind the team and/or watch at home" then lets put it in France and give them a real boost.. if the pacific say "we need it in the southeren hemisphere for exposure to our fan base etc" then it needs to go down there. 

Australia played Tonga in South Auckland because there are more Tongans there than in Tonga. Give it lock stock and barrel to NZ..... The Pacific Island teams will all draw good crowds and I reckon they'd deliver a 20k average if given time to market it.... 

How about NZ? plenty of stadia, huge amount of support (potentially) for the likes of Samoa, Tonga, Fiji etc.. Not sure what the weather is like at the time of year it would be played though. Could be a big boost for the Kiwis who like so many crave games on home turf. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I aren't keen on seeing another tournament in oz for a while after how badly attended and marketed the previous one was. Like has been expressed, I i think two in a row in Europe might be overkill but I would say the logical choice is France in the end. Already got a following for the sport there, close to England for fans to travel in good numbers, decent stadiums ready to go. Would like to see a few games in Spain as well, even if its just a handful in places close to the French border. PNG were considered official Co hosts of the last tournament and they only had 3 games so no reason Spain can't be same. 

I'd be happy with predominantly NZ or predominantly France as what I think we need to move away from is it alternating between Australia and England.

I wonder if there is any scope for Canada to make a new bid as sole hosts or whether that is completely dead in the water

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Here’s a question... this will be tendered out, and the RLIF will make sure they get genuinely guaranteed sums for it. If France bids (and we can’t make them however much we’d all love to see a tournament there) and guarantees 1m, whereas NSW guarantees 10m presumably the game needs to accept NSW’s bid. At what point do other factors come into play, and what should they be? 

21 minutes ago, SteelersWheeler said:

Australia played Tonga in South Auckland because there are more Tongans there than in Tonga. Give it lock stock and barrel to NZ..... The Pacific Island teams will all draw good crowds and I reckon they'd deliver a 20k average if given time to market it.... 

dont mind that if they dont have the australian apathy we saw.. 

IMHO the need to be looking at France quick for something before the boat sails again on them.

France would be a great choice. Think of the publicity the game would get there. Plus, the French public would surely turn out in force, wouldn't they?

If it's not broke,

Fix it until it is!

Come On You Dons!

I've said many times that a World Cup in France could be transformational for the sport there. The RU World Cup bid got huge government funding to win the bid and if Rugby League could get a fraction of that sort of funding it would certainly be profitable.

18 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Here’s a question... this will be tendered out, and the RLIF will make sure they get genuinely guaranteed sums for it. If France bids (and we can’t make them however much we’d all love to see a tournament there) and guarantees 1m, whereas NSW guarantees 10m presumably the game needs to accept NSW’s bid. At what point do other factors come into play, and what should they be? 

In that instance it should go to NSW as it supports alternating hemispheres too, but I think there has to be scope for accepting a smaller financial reward for supporting the likes of France and their development, plus also growing credibility of the tournament by staging it primarily outside of the UK and Oz.

I think we can have France as hosts with the UK supporting, as we can have NZ as hosts with Oz and PIs supporting.

This should help to reduce risk.

Archived