NHL expansion

While the topic of admitting Toronto Wolfpack in RFL remains hot, in typical North American fashion their sports leagues waste little time in welcoming newcomers. A new NHL franchise for Seattle has been approved for 2021. It will cost the team's owners a mere $650 million, while they spend $700 million more on upgrading their old arena.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

The little I know about hockey means I’m a bit surprised Seattle didn’t already have a team.

They do but they play in a different league. My son went to a game there earlier this year.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:42 PM, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Bring back the Nordiques! 

Upstarts!  What's wrong with sticking to the (misnamed) 'original six' - Montreal, Detroit, Toronto, Boston, Chicago and New York [Rangers]?  Some more observant readers may discern a certain type of RL mentality showing through here!

• 3 months later...

Would they relocate a team? A very common occurrence in North American Sports. Or are they going to "expand" to a very uneven 33 teams? Or maybe up-grade the Thunderbirds from the WHL.

My mistake, there are 31 teams at the moment, when Seattle join in 2021-22 they will join the Pacific division of the Western Conference, and push Arizona into the Central Division.

From the NHL Website, and we thought ours was complicated.

Playoff Format

16 teams will qualify for the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The format is a set bracket that is largely division-based with wild cards. The top three teams in each division will make up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season record and regardless of division. It is possible for one division in each conference to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends just three. In the First Round, the division winner with the best record in each conference will be matched against the wild-card team with the lesser record; the wild card team with the better record will play the other division winner. The teams finishing second and third in each division will meet in the First Round within the bracket headed by their respective division winners. First-round winners within each bracket play one another in the Second Round to determine the four participants in the Conference Finals. Home-ice advantage through the first two rounds goes to the team that placed higher in the regular-season standings. In the Conference Finals and Stanley Cup Final, home-ice advantage goes to the team that had the better regular-season record -- regardless of the teams' final standing in their respective divisions.

On 11/04/2019 at 04:05, Bleep1673 said:

Playoff Format

16 teams will qualify for the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The format is a set bracket that is largely division-based with wild cards. The top three teams in each division will make up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season record and regardless of division. It is possible for one division in each conference to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends just three. In the First Round, the division winner with the best record in each conference will be matched against the wild-card team with the lesser record; the wild card team with the better record will play the other division winner. The teams finishing second and third in each division will meet in the First Round within the bracket headed by their respective division winners. First-round winners within each bracket play one another in the Second Round to determine the four participants in the Conference Finals. Home-ice advantage through the first two rounds goes to the team that placed higher in the regular-season standings. In the Conference Finals and Stanley Cup Final, home-ice advantage goes to the team that had the better regular-season record -- regardless of the teams' final standing in their respective divisions.

Works great...playoffs are currently on...works good.

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 09:05, Bleep1673 said:

Playoff Format

That's crystal clear to me, Bleep.  Genuinely not sure what your problem with it is!

Ice hockey is a brilliant game. I went to watch it in Sheffield. Annoying listening to the tannoy announcer mind and his repetitive shouts for the Sheffield star steelers, or whatever it was. Much preferred going to watch Great Britain in Nottingham. What's this thread about? Oh, the NHL. Yeah, I don't support a team. Dabbled with the Pittsburgh Penguins a bit in the early 2000's, but don't really care about them or anyone else. Love ice hockey at the Winter Olympics though. And used to play as Chicago on NHLPA 93 on the Super Nintendo. They had the best goalie - Ed Balfour. Him and Patrick Roy from Montreal. Jeremy Roenick at centre had some great skills as well.

9 hours ago, westside said:

Leafs fans, get on board the Jackets bandwagon.

It's too soon. I need time to digest this latest failure.

3-2 up, having won 2 on the road...questions need to be asked. Especially around Babcock's use of his roster - Matthews just 5 shifts in the 3rd last night? Nylander wedded to Marleau and Brown? Marleau two yards behind the play?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

5 hours ago, nadera78 said:

It's too soon. I need time to digest this latest failure.

3-2 up, having won 2 on the road...questions need to be asked. Especially around Babcock's use of his roster - Matthews just 5 shifts in the 3rd last night? Nylander wedded to Marleau and Brown? Marleau two yards behind the play?

If you use the services of a former Whitley Warriors player/coach, what do you expect?

OK, I admit it, I was a Durham Wasps fan!

• 1 month later...

Archived