Why are rugby league videos not in Blu-Ray HD or UHD?

We are now entering the period when TV and video technology has gone beyond the standards of mere High Definition. The sale standard for TVs and video players in most electronic stores is now 4K Ultra High Definition. Mere High Definition is obsolescent. And Standard Definition is totally obsolete, a relic of the past, like non-flat screen TVs, and VHS tape players and recorders.

Yet rugby league videos are still being released in totally obsolete Standard Definition. The fact is that you cannot buy a Standard Definition TV or DVD player any more. The options are either a HD TV or Blu-Ray player, or increasingly a 4K UHD TV and a 4K UHD Blu Ray player. Most TVs in homes in the advanced western countries are now at least High Definition. All rugby league games in the UK and Australia are broadcast in HD. Eventually it will be broadcast in UHD. So rugby league organisations in both the UK and Australia are serving us up their commercial videos in an obsolete and low grade technology format.

What is the matter with the RFL and NRL?

12 hours ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

As an issue the game has to overcome, this would be somewhere at the bottom of the list.

Yes, but it is an easy issue to overcome. Just common sense really. 

Tech changes at such an extraordinary rate that it's hard to say just where the median user is at any given time.

Truth is there are people using every iteration of 'new' stuff at all times and there are users of everything from video right up to streaming now. Who knows where MR, Mrs or Ms Average RL fan is? I haven't a clue, to be honest.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Surely this is nothing to do with the RFL/NRL and everything to do with the broadcaster - if they don't capture in UHD/4K then you don't get any sort of media in that format. If Sky for example capture at 1080p then a highlights reel can only be at most 1080p.

I think RL is crying out for a high speed camera although that comes with it's problems - floodlights are unlikely to provide enough light to get a good picture at slow motion. Still we can do better than taking 48fps and slowing it down and deeming that sufficient for a video ref to view.

14 minutes ago, Bulliac said:

Tech changes at such an extraordinary rate that it's hard to say just where the median user is at any given time.

Truth is there are people using every iteration of 'new' stuff at all times and there are users of everything from video right up to streaming now. Who knows where MR, Mrs or Ms Average RL fan is? I haven't a clue, to be honest.

I am in the lower quartile.     Surely, even if you have a fancy definition tv, it's not much use unless you pay for the extra value to the satellite service? 

I confess to not following all these hi tech gizmos, possibly the BBC give it free, but what really is the point of all this stuff... it's a picture at the end of the day and if it's a rubbish sport or game or tv programme it's not going to make it any better because the picture looks a bit more pretty.

The RFL and NRL have all their matches filmed in HD. They could produce two versions of a video -- HD and SD -- at minimal cost. But the majority who have adopted HD already deserve better than an inferior product.

2 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

The RFL and NRL have all their matches filmed in HD. They could produce two versions of a video -- HD and SD -- at minimal cost. But the majority who have adopted HD already deserve better than an inferior product.

Your talking about a organisation that couldn't produce any sort of DVD for the 2013 World Cup, and I can't say I have seen one available for 2017 either, your asking them to run before they have mastered crawling.

4 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Your talking about a organisation that couldn't produce any sort of DVD for the 2013 World Cup, and I can't say I have seen one available for 2017 either, your asking them to run before they have mastered crawling.

Couldn't or wouldn't because the market for them is so niche it's not worth the cost of the production?

2 hours ago, andyscoot said:

Couldn't or wouldn't because the market for them is so niche it's not worth the cost of the production?

Yet even the lowest of clubs manage to produce match & season reviews , and are you saying that the 2013 World Cup would have been less popular than a Challenge or Premiership Final DVD?

12 hours ago, Clogiron said:

Yet even the lowest of clubs manage to produce match & season reviews , and are you saying that the 2013 World Cup would have been less popular than a Challenge or Premiership Final DVD?

Ultimately if there was money to be made they would do it. Clubs will make a limited run and accept it has diminishing returns. We don't know what the rights from BBC or Sky will cost either; do the club's use their own footage or do they use the broadcast footage?

I don't see why it's the RFL or the NRLs responsibility to put out a dvd though. 

How Rugby League is this? Finding things to moan about that most of us hadn't even thought about.

1 hour ago, John Fisher said:

How Rugby League is this? Finding things to moan about that most of us hadn't even thought about.

It's just another example of why the game fails to make any impact nationally, if you think back to 2013 it sacked numerous development officer's and had no sort of follow up to the World Cup venue's whatsoever, again this year wins a test series then if you're lucky, might play 1 fixture against France probably on a Tuesday night in Leigh the following year. There's far too many things from planning to Merchandising & Marketing that are just not upto the standards expected in this day and age, yet we as a game just let it go then complain about our coverage etc.  Issuing a DVD might not be life changing but to any other entertainment organisation it would be a given, like breathing but nah, this RL, it dunt matter.

You have a point about what the sport can do to make more waves but a season review on DVD is not even coming close to having an impact. I can say with 99.9% certainty that there is nobody who doesn't already follow the sport that will pick up a season review or even a World Cup review. They will have no shelf presence because of their niche and so will be sold on websites catering to RL so preaching to the choir. A dvd review is completely neutral in terms of it's impact on the sport and in any case, how many copies would they sell?

Take F1, a sport with probably a thousand times as many fans across the world than RL. They don't put out an official season review themselves, a third party does it they sell it on their own website which is the only place you can buy them. F1 are very good at marketing and is a billion dollar sport, not releasing a video is a sign of the times, not a sign of incompetence. The shift has moved to online - and THAT is something that should be invested in and worked on because it's the streaming and getting clips onto facebook etc that will make the bigger difference.

Archived