Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chamey

Toronto and Toulouse kicked out of Challenge Cup 2019

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

And you think this is consistent with your anti-Toronto nonsense do you? I bet TWP have attracted more people to RL, youth or otherwise, in the past two years than all the clubs in the north combined, but nah we don’t want that. You claim to want growth, but rail against a new club in a new country with thousands of new fans. I guess only certain growth in certain places is allowed under flatcap law.

Actually its consistent with your inconsistent comments regarding TWP. You avoid the word youth as using it as a gimmick to support game. The point of youth is development and Toronto not the TWP are decades behind that point

Stop using the word expansion without expansion as an excuse to create growth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Actually its consistent with your inconsistent comments regarding TWP. You avoid the word youth as using it as a gimmick to support game. The point of youth is development and Toronto not the TWP are decades behind that point

Stop using the word expansion without expansion as an excuse to create growth.

Nonsensical drivel. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bearman said:

For me the interesting bit about the article above is about the link with Ontario Rugby.

Let me be clear. I do NOT trust rugby union. You only have to look at current threads on this forum ie the " Greek RL forced to play matches after midnight" thread.

That said, I have always been confident that given a level playing field that anyone exposed to rugby league would prefer it to union.

Mr Argyle seems to be saying just give the kids a rugby ball and they will enjoy the game and as they have no baggage they too will see that RL is a better game than union. 

If the Wolfpack can make a big enough splash with this initiative there is every chance that the kids will view RL as "proper" rugby.

I firmly believe that if Mr Argle and the Wolfpack can get RL established in Ontario, RL will be srong enough to stand against the dark side and open up a new market in a new continent the whole game can prosper.

If that means some small towns in England lose a place at the top few tables, but the game finally gets into the mainstream of world sport for me that would be nirvana.

 

Here's a man who gets it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Actually its consistent with your inconsistent comments regarding TWP. You avoid the word youth as using it as a gimmick to support game. The point of youth is development and Toronto not the TWP are decades behind that point

Stop using the word expansion without expansion as an excuse to create growth.

And a man who hasn't a clue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, after having previous countless threads stating that "the travelling support" from our "overseas clubs" does matter one iota, forget about it, it is trivial nonesense we have been informed on these pages!

Well quite clearly it does matter to some, that being the custodians of the competition who are obliged to produce a balance sheet after the event, all those damming of the RFL's decision of the approach to T.O. and TWP. will not have the same account information to hand.

Personally I thought they pulled a master stroke and avoided some embarrassment for the game in staging the 'double header' at Bolton last season for the semi's, it hid the very few numbers of actual Catalan fans in attendance, and I should imagine retuned a profit on the event which the may well have not done in staging two stand alone matches. 

Would all those crying 'shame' at the RFL's decision in this matter actually go to Wembley if either these teams got there, I would say NO, most would take the same respect as this year and watch it on TV,  and that basically is the crux of the matter, the RFL know the psyche and mindset of many of it's followers, they will moan and groan but when it comes down to the physicality of attending they just won't do it in sufficient numbers to make it viable, sorry but that is the reality of it, the game is not flushed with money to ride it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

No I'm not sure. 

right so you were being a n0bhead then

 

thanks for clarifying

  • Sad 1

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

the RFL know the psyche and mindset of many of it's followers, they will moan and groan but when it comes down to the physicality of attending they just won't do it in sufficient numbers to make it viable, sorry but that is the reality of it, the game is not flushed with money to ride it.

Maybe the RFL have helped mould that same psyche and mindset?

  • Like 1

rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, East Coast Tiger said:

Show me any evidence that I want the game dead.

We all know you and your kind fully support any move to prevent any growth in the sport so it’s clear who wants it dead.

And anyone who thinks RL has been around for 140 years clearly has no interest in facts or is too stupid to subtract 2018 from 1895.

You get a better result if you subtract 1895 from 2018. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

You get a better result if you subtract 1895 from 2018. 

Would he? Negatives are the lifeblood of this board!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Maybe the RFL have helped mould that same psyche and mindset?

I would say so DP, without putting down strong mandates and instruction with how the rule changes are to be applied, the number of allowable interchanges, not stamping down of blatant cheating and gamesmanship are some of the symptoms that are really turning people off, I will still continue to attend out of habit more than anything else, but I do not find the game as good a spectacle as it was even just 12 to 15 years ago, but as each year passes the number of people I know who have turned their backs on the game for many of the reasons I state is increasing all the while. Not just in the paid ranks I attend a lot of community games and that is decreasing in the numbers attending at an alarming rate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

Generations of inbreeding and a poor education system must take some of the blame. 

The upside to that is we produce some of the best banjo players in the world.

  • Haha 1

rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

So, after having previous countless threads stating that "the travelling support" from our "overseas clubs" does matter one iota, forget about it, it is trivial nonesense we have been informed on these pages!

Well quite clearly it does matter to some, that being the custodians of the competition who are obliged to produce a balance sheet after the event, all those damming of the RFL's decision of the approach to T.O. and TWP. will not have the same account information to hand.

Personally I thought they pulled a master stroke and avoided some embarrassment for the game in staging the 'double header' at Bolton last season for the semi's, it hid the very few numbers of actual Catalan fans in attendance, and I should imagine retuned a profit on the event which the may well have not done in staging two stand alone matches. 

Would all those crying 'shame' at the RFL's decision in this matter actually go to Wembley if either these teams got there, I would say NO, most would take the same respect as this year and watch it on TV,  and that basically is the crux of the matter, the RFL know the psyche and mindset of many of it's followers, they will moan and groan but when it comes down to the physicality of attending they just won't do it in sufficient numbers to make it viable, sorry but that is the reality of it, the game is not flushed with money to ride it.

The issue here Harry is that they are discriminating particularly against Toronto, when I would wager that they would attract more to a final than several other established clubs. It’s blatant discrimination and I don’t blame Toronto for telling them to shove it. It’s a massive own goal by RFL as I’m sure they didn’t expect this consequence, hence the late call to Woolston to see if they wanted to participate in the first round.

If the RFL wanted to mitigate against a lower than expected crowd, they could’ve gone about it in a number of different ways. How they have does not solve the issue, which may still arise with some of the existing clubs in the comp. They should really be looking at why the attendances are declining in general and look to address

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, East Coast Tiger said:

As long as they don’t try to play in Canada.

It would be a logistical nightmare and they wouldn’t take any fans with them. Fact.

Whoosh! Fact.


rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, East Coast Tiger said:

.... where the pit town flatcaps can’t hurt it.

Do you have a list of these flatcap pit towns which are destroying the game, or have you only one in mind? And can you describe the process by which they do so much damage (beyond that of existing), especially their influence on the decision  concerning Toronto's participation in the Challenge Cup?

Or is it that you are unwilling to explore the real causes of the difficulties that the game in the Northern Hemisphere i s facing, and are simply looking to displace the blame?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cerulean said:

Do you have a list of these flatcap pit towns which are destroying the game, or have you only one in mind? And can you describe the process by which they do so much damage (beyond that of existing), especially their influence on the decision  concerning Toronto's participation in the Challenge Cup?

Or is it that you are unwilling to explore the real causes of the difficulties that the game in the Northern Hemisphere i s facing, and are simply looking to displace the blame?

You’ll find it’s the flatcaps doing the damage. The towns are incidental.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, East Coast Tiger said:

There’s that education system again.

Do they teach irony there?

They certainly don’t teach it in Australia. Our maths is better than yours too. ?


rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

Either way, you won’t get 140. 

Seems the games been around for a little longer.  Not sure who the 1st team were, maybe Padge will confirm.

“1865 – Hull Rugby League Football Club were founded by a group of schoolboys from York, including Anthony Bradley who was a former pupil of Rugby School whilst Reverend Scott and his sons made up the nucleus of the team.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, deluded pom? said:

They certainly don’t teach it in Australia. Our maths is better than yours too. ?

You’re not proof of any irony lessons mate. Or maybe it’s comprehension. 

If you’re trying to prove the benefits of the UK education system I don’t think a discussion about the RFL and it’s ability to run RL is going to help your cause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...