Challenge cup 2019

Round 1

list of clubs: All Golds, Army, Batley Boys, Bentley, Beverley, Bradford Dudley Hill, British Police, Clock Face Miners, Crosfields, Dewsbury Moor, Distington, Drighlington, East Leeds, Edinburgh Eagles, Featherstone Lions, Hammersmith Hills Hoists, Haydock, Hunslet Club Parkside, Hunslet Warriors, Kells, Leigh East, Leigh Miners Rangers, Lock Lane, London Chargers, Longhorns, Milford Marlins, Millom, Normanton Knights, North Herts Crusaders, Orrell St James, Oulton Raiders, Ovenden, Royal Air Force, Royal Navy, Red Star Belgrade, Rochdale Mayfield, Shaw Cross Sharks, Siddal, Skirlaugh, Stanningley, Thatto Heath, Thornhill Trojans, Torfaen Tigers, Underbank Rangers, Wallsend Eagles, Wath Brow Hornets, West Bowling, West Hull, Wigan St Judes, Wigan St Patricks, Woolston Rovers, York Acorn

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:58 PM, Impartial Observer said:

There was a travel grant last season worked out on far is travelled, there is prize money from the 3rd round onwards.

Used to get a share of the gate as well.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

21 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

I think it does and then any profit left from the gate is split

….after all expenses are deducted.    If you get a bad draw with vert few species, you could end up with a negative amount once costs for all sorts (doctors, stewards, etc etc) are deducted.

Looking forward to the draw tomorrow. Love the challenge cup, our win against Keighley in 2004 was still one of the best performances I have ever seen. Considering the amount of 17/18/19 year olds we had in the side too of which a few went on to play pro. Still think it is the only time an amateur club has beaten a team at championship level, led by the mercurial Chris Robinson who also played a fair bit at Keighley.

Great days that can bring the club together. They handed us our rear ends in 2014 though when we went back although we won the second half haha

1 minute ago, thepimp007 said:

Looking forward to the draw tomorrow. Love the challenge cup, our win against Keighley in 2004 was still one of the best performances I have ever seen. Considering the amount of 17/18/19 year olds we had in the side too of which a few went on to play pro. Still think it is the only time an amateur club has beaten a team at championship level, led by the mercurial Chris Robinson who also played a fair bit at Keighley.

Great days that can bring the club together. They handed us our rear ends in 2014 though when we went back although we won the second half haha

Cawoods (West Hull) was the first team to beat a pro team I believe.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

38 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Not the first but the first in a long, long time. I have the programme from that game. It was against Halifax. It was the John Player trophy. Without checking my records I think the first in the Challenge cup (in the modern era) was Beverley .v. Highfield.

4 hours ago, Celtic Rooster said:

Not the first but the first in a long, long time. I have the programme from that game. It was against Halifax. It was the John Player trophy. Without checking my records I think the first in the Challenge cup (in the modern era) was Beverley .v. Highfield.

Correct Kenny.

They were the first amateur side to beat a professional side in 1908 and also the first in the modern era 1995.

They actually were beaten at home in the 2nd round by Normanton but both sides had played ineligible players andthey won the replay 2 weeks later

Yeah they lost 14-16 to Normanton but my info was that a replay was ordered because Normanton had fielded an illegible player. I thought that was strange because normally they would just put Beverley through in that situation. Anyway they beat Normanton 20-10 in the replay then won 27-4 at Highfield before losing to Batley 20-30 at Hull FC. Really looking forward to the draw tonight so I can pick which game to go to.

16 hours ago, Marauder said:

Ah right, we were told no one had beaten a pro side at championship level, its obviously happened a few times from league 1 level. Was just checking as someone mentioned Sharlston beating Dewsbury but Dews were national league 2 then in 2004, still a great win.

Theres nothing better than seeing amateurs go real toe to toe with the pros. When we were in National League 3 and the promises that brought! We were in the northern rail cup, finished top of the group so went into the next round, played Hull KR away. We were the better side for 20 minutes, we were 10 nil up ad you just started to get a bit of a feeling we might have a chance. Then they brought Mikaili Aizue off the bench and that completely changed the game haha think it finished 50-16 great effort.

Our more recent Challenge Cup ties apart from the last Keighley one in 2014 we played Batley after beating Keighley who had a real good side then Joe Berry, and Shad Royston in the side and got well beaten. Also played Dewsbury and got beat 60-0 Richard Chapman tore us apart from hooker all day

We beat York in 1997 at their place too 21-14

Found this in an old thread amateurs beating pro sides

Normanton 7-2 Holbeck (1899)

Normanton 5-0 Leeds (1900)

Birkenhead Wanderers 2-0 Millom (1901)

Windhill 5-0 Millom (1902)

Millom 7-8 Parton (1904)

Featherstone Rovers 23-2 Widnes (1906)

Saville Green 10-0 Bramley (1907)

Whitehaven Recreation 13-8 St Helens (1908)

Beverley 7-2 Ebbw Vale (1909)

Sharlston Rovers 12-7 Workington Town (1946; lost 23-14 on aggregate)

Risehow & Gillhead 10-2 Keighley (1948; lost 13-10 on aggregate)

Highfield 4-27 Beverley (1995)

Highfield 20-35 West Hull (1996)

Chorley 12-27 Thatto Heath (1996)

West Hull 10-6 York (1996)

York 14-21 Dudley Hill (1997)

Bramley 10-16 Ellenborough Rangers (1998)

Doncaster 18-23 Featherstone Lions (1998)

Ellenborough Rangers 14-12 Hunslet (1998)

Egremont 18-0 Workington Town (1998)

Bramley 12-18 Leigh Miners Rangers (1999)

Batley 0-10 Oldham St Anne's (2000)

Sheffield Eagles 14-16 Thornhill (2000)

Chorley 8-22 Woolston Rovers (2001)

Wath Brow Hornets 13-12 Workington Town (2003)

Halton Simms Cross 15-8 London Skolars (2003)

Sharlston Rovers 30-28 Dewsbury (2004)

Dudley Hill 16-14 Keighley (2004)

Swinton 14-26 East Hull (2004)

Wath Brow Hornets 32-30 Dewsbury (2005)

Thornhill 16-12 Workington Town (2006)

Wath Brow Hornets 14-12 London Skolars (2009)

Doncaster 0-26 Siddal (2010)

Leigh Miners 32-6 Oxford (2015)

Archived