RFL funding criteria

geoffcooke

The RFL intend funding for Championship 1 clubs to change in 2019 and on into 2020 & 2021.

I am concerned that baseline central funding will be reduced year on year to be replaced by other (somewhat nebulous) criteria. Clubs are obviously expected to increase their digital 'footprint' in various ways. Given the average age of fans (possibly 55+) many of whom may not be tech savvy this is a potential handicap for traditioal clubs like Oldham, Rochdale & Swinton. How many older fans want to spend their time on websites, facebook, twitter, instagram et al?

Further, signing up to our league ( anew digital platform) may look good, especially given its streaming of live games (currently free but an obvious candidate for subscription service in future) but our league is not administered by the RFL but by a private digital company which is clearly a data harvesting company. What guarantee do we have that the data we provide will not be misused or sold on to others? When the number of people signing up to our league and declaring themselves to be Oldham followers impacts on the future revenue of the club this comes close to a form of blackmail (give us your data or you don't get the money).

Am I missing something  or am I right to be concerned?

Incidentally, I have signed up to our league myself. Would be interested to know what others think.

8 hours ago, geoffcooke said:

The RFL intend funding for Championship 1 clubs to change in 2019 and on into 2020 & 2021.

I am concerned that baseline central funding will be reduced year on year to be replaced by other (somewhat nebulous) criteria. Clubs are obviously expected to increase their digital 'footprint' in various ways. Given the average age of fans (possibly 55+) many of whom may not be tech savvy this is a potential handicap for traditioal clubs like Oldham, Rochdale & Swinton. How many older fans want to spend their time on websites, facebook, twitter, instagram et al?

Further, signing up to our league ( anew digital platform) may look good, especially given its streaming of live games (currently free but an obvious candidate for subscription service in future) but our league is not administered by the RFL but by a private digital company which is clearly a data harvesting company. What guarantee do we have that the data we provide will not be misused or sold on to others? When the number of people signing up to our league and declaring themselves to be Oldham followers impacts on the future revenue of the club this comes close to a form of blackmail (give us your data or you don't get the money).

Am I missing something  or am I right to be concerned?

Incidentally, I have signed up to our league myself. Would be interested to know what others think.

I share your reservations about signing up to Our League for exactly the reasons you mention. Although I am well into the 55+ age group it's my aversion to the sneaky way these data harvesting companies suck you in that puts me off rather than my lack of tech savvy. As I don't attend matches I feel that I should support the Club in any other way I can so I have been thinking about signing up to Our League but I'm very reluctant to give in to what you quite rightly refer to as almost a form of blackmail. 

Archived