Great RL Photos

On 12/25/2018 at 9:41 AM, Cherry and White said:

kenny-and-sterling-1985-ft-1600px-w360@2x.thumb.jpg.6d16dac1d2740ef25d2be412a5f9feb3.jpg

O

Great photos.

I was trying to find a pic of Brett Kenny hands in pockets and looking bored before the '85 final and his MoM performance.

I don't think I have seen a more laid back player than Kenny.

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Great photos.

I was trying to find a pic of Brett Kenny hands in pockets and looking bored before the '95 final and his MoM performance.

I don't think I have seen a more laid back player than Kenny.

I could not find a photo either.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

On 12/21/2018 at 7:48 PM, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

I believe that is the Hull KR No.11 Eric Palmer, a pacy second row forward. From what I've seen of the final (I'm a Hull fan but my schoolmate's dad is Flash Flanagan so passing interest) was outstanding, made a try saving tackle early in the second half and almost stopped Alan Briers (sp?) from scoring Widnes's first after his left centre and winger missed the tackle, was everywhere repulsing the Widnes team.

I don't care whose team anyone supports, but with a name like "Flash" Flanagan you have to give him a cheer.

On 12/22/2018 at 11:12 AM, Rioman said:

I think it was a Dewsbury v Saints cup game game when it all kicked off, A saints player (Warlow?) was getting belted so the landlady from his digs ran on and gave the Dewsbury lads a handbagging. Something like that, although I'm sure a Saints fan of a certain vintage will have more

info.https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/11136840.saints-fans-poem-was-her-parting-message/

Elsewhere it's said to be 1966 Championship (top 16?) Final v Halifax at Swinton. It looks more like a Halifax strip rather than Dewsbury.  

Remarkable how 2 conflicting views can be claimed for the same photo, and I believe by the same St Helens newspaper.

Either way a good season for Saints.

On 12/23/2018 at 8:02 PM, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Best one I ever saw isn't on here. Apesi Toga for Rochdale Hornets v Swinton. He's bursting through two Swindon tacklers whilst trampling another one under foot. 

I think it came second in a poll of sporting photographs one year about 1966. A pub I used to go in had a life size copy of it as you walked in the door, very scary.

Toga was a great Fijian forward who went back down to Aus to play for Saint George and died tragically young in his prime.

If you can get hold of a copy of "The Eddie Waring Book Of Rugby League" that photo takes up almost a full page. There are some other classic photos in the book too. My favourite is probably the two page spread of an absolute mudbath at Wheldon Road. 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

some fantastic pics in this thread, seem to remember in the leeds programme of the early 80s there was always a pic of graham Eccles squaring up for a scrap if anyone could find it?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I was looking through pics of Mal Meninga and came across this.  Is it a young Wally Lewis and Big Mal? Does anyone know the other two?

p-112-g.jpg

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

53 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I was looking through pics of Mal Meninga and came across this.  Is it a young Wally Lewis and Big Mal? Does anyone know the other two?

p-112-g.jpg

Chris Close on the outside, but don't know the one with the ball... maybe a trainer, don't recognise him as a player

• Thanks 1

It took a bit of a search but the guy on the right is Chris Close who played right centre and scored a try in the inaugural SOO (which this pic is taken just before) and to his right (left in pic) is the QLD coach and ex Kangeroo John 'cracker' McDonald, former 440yd world record holder! 

He's only 36 in the pic hence the confusion thinking he might be a player, he packed up at the age of 27 apparently.

http://www.nswrlra.com/index.php/news/item/483-first-state-of-origin-08jul1980

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, johnny plath said:

Chris Close on the outside, but don't know the one with the ball... maybe a trainer, don't recognise him as a player

32 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

It took a bit of a search but the guy on the right is Chris Close who played right centre and scored a try in the inaugural SOO (which this pic is taken just before) and to his right (left in pic) is the QLD coach and ex Kangeroo John 'cracker' McDonald, former 440yd world record holder! 

He's only 36 in the pic hence the confusion thinking he might be a player, he packed up at the age of 27 apparently.

Great, thanks guys.

I read a fair bit about Chris Close but he was before my time watching the game so I didn't recognise him.

This thread is by far the most enjoyable ever on this site for me... so many great things to remember and learn about our sport.

2 hours ago, M j M said:

The first Kangaroos in the UK. The mascot couldn't cope with the cold and later died.

image.png.6f480359fff4c61b2cd3fbe551a1ec05.png

Isn't that take ouside there lodgings at Ilkley,, poor roo no wonder it cought it's death of cold it's the only one bah'at?

• Haha 3