Barla cup 2019

• 2 weeks later...

5 hours ago, TheDuke said:

Is this an increase on last years entrants 

OPEN AGE LAST SEASON 25 TEAMS, THIS YEAR 35 TEAMS OR A 40% INCREASE FOR THE POLITICIANS

ROUND ONE: Ellenborough Rangers v Wigan St Cuthbert’s; Doncaster Toll Bar v Oldham St Anne’s; Orrell St James v Upton; West Bank v Batley Boys; Seaton Rangers v Orrell St James A; Hensingham v West Hull; Queens v Haydock; Ossett Trinity v Thatto Heath Crusaders; Wyke v Queensbury.

Byes: East Leeds, Eastern Rhinos, Glasson Rangers, Hunslet Club Parkside, Ovenden, Sharlston Rovers, Thornhill Trojans.

THIS YEAR'S DRAW

BARLA NATIONAL CUP - OPEN AGE

Barla Open Age National Cup Draw

Preliminary Round – 12th January 2019

Cockermouth Titans v East Leeds

Clayton v Drighlington

East Hull Academy v Doncaster Toll Bar

First Round – 2nd February 2019

Waterhead v Orrell St James

Upton v Cockermouth Titans / East Leeds

Kells `A` v Bentley

Skirlaugh v Haydock

Myton Warriors v Moldgreen

Queensbury v Seacroft Sharks

Wigan St Cuthbert’s v Thatto Heath

Aspartia Hornets v West Hull

Lambworth Lions v Hunslet Club Parkside

Glasson Rangers v Clayton / Drighlington

Siddal v Sharlston Rovers

Oldham St Anne’s v Ovenden

Kinsley Rangers v Walney Central

Eastern Rhino’s v Cutsyke

Blackbrook v Ellenborough

West Bank v East Hull Academy / Doncaster Toll Bar

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Nice statistics Jim, which I'm sure will be pleasing to some.                                More pleasing however, is the wide geographical, spread across the "Three Counties" that does bring a more national feel to the competition. It's also very encouraging to see many NCL teams overcoming obstacles to put a team in what has proved to be, the premier knockout competition within amatuer rugby league.

You never fail until you stop trying

3 hours ago, Nev V Dawn said:

Nice statistics Jim, which I'm sure will be pleasing to some.                                More pleasing however, is the wide geographical, spread across the "Three Counties" that does bring a more national feel to the competition. It's also very encouraging to see many NCL teams overcoming obstacles to put a team in what has proved to be, the premier knockout competition within amatuer rugby league.

My thoughts as well NVD, I'll be watching out for a given reason to stop it's growth in next season's competition, probably in a compulsory NCL preseason competition. (Am I allowed to think this way)

Yes of course you're allowed to think that way Jim even though with your straightforward talking you lend your thoughts to a wider audience.

However my thoughts are that it looks as though many NCL  playing teams are looking for a meaningful knockout competition which encompasses any amatuer team that plays in any league, regardless of whether it's RFL derived or a volunteer orientated league.

I also think that if the BARLA National Cup continues to attract teams that play in the NCL competition, then the powers that be may just recognise the trend and be reluctant to rock the boat by imposing any scuppering sanctions.

You never fail until you stop trying

The obstacles are still there for ncl teams, mainly the later stages of the competition when league or challenge cup fixtures can clash. I think the ncl teams use the competition as a meaningful pre season competition, preparing for the league ahead, and if they make the later rounds then make a decision then on whether to play 'a' team players for the cup or the league.

Memories of the barla cup in its original state will always be high in my thoughts, and the county cups also, but with the structures of the league playing season and the modern day mentality of players, less fixtures and competitions seem the norm. 

1 hour ago, Impartial Observer said:

Im not sure what obstacles are there for NCL teams as they seem to keep winning it  

So they should, the days of the powerful regional teams are over.

2 hours ago, usain bolt said:

The obstacles are still there for ncl teams, mainly the later stages of the competition when league or challenge cup fixtures can clash. I think the ncl teams use the competition as a meaningful pre season competition, preparing for the league ahead, and if they make the later rounds then make a decision then on whether to play 'a' team players for the cup or the league.

Memories of the barla cup in its original state will always be high in my thoughts, and the county cups also, but with the structures of the league playing season and the modern day mentality of players, less fixtures and competitions seem the norm. 

It's to easy now for a player to pick and choose when he want's to play, they know they can get a game 12 months of the year without a problem.

56 minutes ago, Cumbria1 said:

When Egremont made the final a few years ago they had to play Oulton at home in NCL the Saturday and then play the final the next day. Most team double up that weekend 

Sadly it was all to do with control, didn't one club get into trouble for fielding a weak side for the NCL game to concentrate on the BARLA cup ?

40 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Sadly it was all to do with control, didn't one club get into trouble for fielding a weak side for the NCL game to concentrate on the BARLA cup ?

Not with the Management Marauder. A club can choose to put out any team of it's choice.

The club in question I believe got stuffed by more than 70 points and certainly embarrassed themselves. The reality of all divisions of the NCL is that points difference can be vital - play off spots and relegation have turned on them. The club you refer to - it was a good few years ago- took more than half a season to get out of the mire whilst  a few clubs at the top end felt they had been adversely affected by the points difference bloat caused by turning out a weakened side..

But it remains a club choice. The only rule they need to bear in mind is that no postponements for cup games will be allowed  and that failing a league game will have severe consequencies.

3 hours ago, del capo said:

Not with the Management Marauder. A club can choose to put out any team of it's choice.

The club in question I believe got stuffed by more than 70 points and certainly embarrassed themselves. The reality of all divisions of the NCL is that points difference can be vital - play off spots and relegation have turned on them. The club you refer to - it was a good few years ago- took more than half a season to get out of the mire whilst  a few clubs at the top end felt they had been adversely affected by the points difference bloat caused by turning out a weakened side..

But it remains a club choice. The only rule they need to bear in mind is that no postponements for cup games will be allowed  and that failing a league game will have severe consequencies.

"The only rule they need to bear in mind is that no postponements for cup games will be allowed  and that failing a league game will have severe consequencies".

There's the answer to the obstacles involved for those people questioning, therefore clubs have to choose their priority at the time. The consequences to the league, ie points differences then come into the equations due to weakened teams and large scoreline.

5 hours ago, del capo said:

BARLA cup dates are agreed at the start of the season but fixtures where given on those dates knowing they'd be in direct confrontation , it's like waving a big stick at a kid and saying don't touch.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:33 PM, del capo said:

The club in question I believe got stuffed by more than 70 points and certainly embarrassed themselves. The reality of all divisions of the NCL is that points difference can be vital - play off spots and relegation have turned on them. The club you refer to - it was a good few years ago- took more than half a season to get out of the mire whilst  a few clubs at the top end felt they had been adversely affected by the points difference bloat caused by turning out a weakened side.

It was 98-4 and they turned up without a kit to play in as they had dropped 2 bags off at the National Cup game  ?

Archived