Will Odsal ever get redeveloped?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering it took Leeds an awful lot of work and help from LCC to get funding for the two stands at headingley £40,000000 on a 40 year mortgage it doesn't hold out much hope for Odsal . Unless Bulls and Avenue could get together and get funding for a community stadium and move away from Odsal .  

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Just now, The Daddy said:

Don't sit on the fence will you  

I don't really like posting on Bulls threads as it tends to bring out the worst in people. I love Odsal though not a Bradford fan and it could be made into a Mecca but that would require vision, enthusiasm and where with all from TGG which as posts on here testify is always conspicuous by the fact it's legged it yet again.

And when I say a Mecca I mean for the whole sport not just the Bulls themselves.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 12/12/2018 at 1:39 PM, The Daddy said:

Seems to be an ongoing drama. RL needs a strong Bradford Bulls, and to have a strong bulls club you really need to have a modern Odsal stadium.

It's gone pretty quiet on the development front. Has anyone heard anything? 

No.

3 hours ago, Oxford said:

I don't really like posting on Bulls threads as it tends to bring out the worst in people. I love Odsal though not a Bradford fan and it could be made into a Mecca but that would require vision, enthusiasm and where with all from TGG which as posts on here testify is always conspicuous by the fact it's legged it yet again.

And when I say a Mecca I mean for the whole sport not just the Bulls themselves.

I thought you meant a bingo hall.  

The quick answer is NO. There is not enough return on any investment. However The basics are in place a 5000 fully covered seated stand with ample leg room (certainly on par with Wembley), fantastic rake and easy entry and exit. Before anyone questions the above you can sit in the finest stadiums in the world but essentially you are sat on a plastic seat bolted onto a concrete step. The corporate stand has a capacity at least on par with the vast majority of super league clubs.

With limited funds I would certainly look to place a roof over the popular terrace.Bring in temporary standing/seating in front of the corporate stand (similar to what they have at Huddersfield on the lower tier of The Fantastic Media stand) and extended the roof. The changing rooms are inadequate, look to extend south. General upgrade of floodlights, scoreboard, bars and cartering facilities. 

With much larger funds, lower the pitch, to elevate/remove the slope of the speedway track and therefore create a full size pitch (Surprisingly the pitch at Odsal is considerably smaller than Huddersfield, Headingley and Belle Vue)  bring forward the Rooley Lane terrace, square off and roof. Box in the corners to create a more atmospheric stadium. Tarmac the spare land to the south to create extensive car parking. 

This would create a stadium with a capacity of circ 22,000 with approx  8000 seats.

5 hours ago, Ilkleyandy said:

The quick answer is NO. There is not enough return on any investment. However The basics are in place a 5000 fully covered seated stand with ample leg room (certainly on par with Wembley), fantastic rake and easy entry and exit. Before anyone questions the above you can sit in the finest stadiums in the world but essentially you are sat on a plastic seat bolted onto a concrete step. The corporate stand has a capacity at least on par with the vast majority of super league clubs.

With limited funds I would certainly look to place a roof over the popular terrace.Bring in temporary standing/seating in front of the corporate stand (similar to what they have at Huddersfield on the lower tier of The Fantastic Media stand) and extended the roof. The changing rooms are inadequate, look to extend south. General upgrade of floodlights, scoreboard, bars and cartering facilities. 

With much larger funds, lower the pitch, to elevate/remove the slope of the speedway track and therefore create a full size pitch (Surprisingly the pitch at Odsal is considerably smaller than Huddersfield, Headingley and Belle Vue)  bring forward the Rooley Lane terrace, square off and roof. Box in the corners to create a more atmospheric stadium. Tarmac the spare land to the south to create extensive car parking. 

This would create a stadium with a capacity of circ 22,000 with approx  8000 seats

This would create a stadium with a capacity of circ 22,000 with approx 8000 seats.                                                                        What on earth for? 

let's hope not, Bradford as a force are done, the town clearly aren't that bothered about RL unless they are winning big, can't see them bringing anything RL as a whole and would only briefly fill a spot only to go belly up and get the begging bowl out again in short order.. 

RL/SL does not need Bradford and the sport is no poorer for their departure from the top divisions.

7 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

let's hope not, Bradford as a force are done, the town clearly aren't that bothered about RL unless they are winning big, can't see them bringing anything RL as a whole and would only briefly fill a spot only to go belly up and get the begging bowl out again in short order.. 

RL/SL does not need Bradford and the sport is no poorer for their departure from the top divisions.

Our last home game, in League 1 remember, had a crowd of over 6000. Larger than the average crowds last season at four SL clubs - Huddersfield, Wakefield, Salford and Widnes.

Presumably those four clubs don't 'bring anything' to Super League?

And that's before we start discussing all the SL and NRL players who were developed in the Bulls Academy setup

Poor attempt at trolling

3 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

And that's before we start discussing all the SL and NRL players who were developed in the Bulls Academy setup

No Pro Club really develop players at Academy level. The players are developed at amateur clubs. They end up usually joining a Pro Club (finishing  school) on who offers the best deal or the local team.

The great work by people in the Amateur game has often been the reason the players are the way they are, alongside having some outstanding talent. Academy is more a finishing School for me.

12 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

There are many things wrong with your post and no I'm not a Bulls fan, for a start it's a City not a Town and how many of those do we have in the game let alone SL. As for not being bothered about the club unless they are winning isn't that the case everywhere, except Wigan, it seems. The Bulls might have had their problems in recent years but the game needs successful, big city club's to drive it forward, you might mock them but did you ever attended one of the Bulls Rhino's derbies in their heyday? If you think that SL doesn't need that sort of occasion and atmosphere I feel sorry for you.

4 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Our last home game, in League 1 remember, had a crowd of over 6000. Larger than the average crowds last season at four SL clubs - Huddersfield, Wakefield, Salford and Widnes.

Presumably those four clubs don't 'bring anything' to Super League?

Poor attempt at trolling

How many times have those clubs folded since 1964? How many times have these clubs owed millions to creditors and got the begging bowl out to the rest of RL?

6800, ONE game and how much do you charge for tickets?

My opinion is that SL doesn't miss Bradford, they are a boom and bust club and have proven it more so than any other club in the top flight. No-one misses going to Odslum, it's a dump and let's hope it gets flattened and houses built on it or used for landfill, that's afar a better use of the land. You can't turn a pigs ear into a purse.

12 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

I started watching 1987 when we had players the likes of Harkin, Hobbs, Noble and Fairbank. The crowds were apart from VS Fax and Leeds, consistently below 4000. We had above that in League 1 a fair few times last year. However I agree with you on some things. I missed 4 games Home and away all season and loved it. York away, Skolars away, Coventry away will stay in the memory bank forever. However I know a few mates who are getting season tickets this year that didn't last year. They are the ones that are missing out. And after  a great shirt presentation morning don't rule us out of winning something ;)

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

5 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

How many times have those clubs folded since 1964? How many times have these clubs owed millions to creditors and got the begging bowl out to the rest of RL?

6800, ONE game and how much do you charge for tickets?

My opinion is that SL doesn't miss Bradford, they are a boom and bust club and have proven it more so than any other club in the top flight. No-one misses going to Odslum, it's a dump and let's hope it gets flattened and houses built on it or used for landfill, that's afar a better use of the land. You can't turn a pigs ear into a purse.

Happy Christmas.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

4 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

There are many things wrong with your post and no I'm not a Bulls fan, for a start it's a City not a Town and how many of those do we have in the game let alone SL. As for not being bothered about the club unless they are winning isn't that the case everywhere, except Wigan, it seems. The Bulls might have had their problems in recent years but the game needs successful, big city club's to drive it forward, you might mock them but did you ever attended one of the Bulls Rhino's derbies in their heyday? If you think that SL doesn't need that sort of occasion and atmosphere I feel sorry for you.

oooo, town/city, whatever, conurbation, does that suit? And then you get to conjecture and opinion, also you ignore the fact Bradford have been in financial straights more than a few times in their history, Bradford 1964 was the official name of the club after they went bust, but they've been in the quagmire more seasons than they haven't over the last decade and more, so actually I got ONE thing wrong not MANY unlike yourself..

As I'm located in the home counties I never went to odslum to watch Hull play them, I don't see what that has got anything to do with my opinion that Bradford aren't missed, that Odslum is a dump and it should not be redeveloped, creating more debt for a club that will never generate enough income to cover it, they couldn't manage it with the big crowds when they were winning ffs!

There is one very knowledgeable Bradford man who I know looks in on here ,must be champing at the bit now . Bradford being a large city should be more financially viable than they are despite being quite successful too. Maybe it's because they've never owned ed their ground ? 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

36 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

oooo, town/city, whatever, conurbation, does that suit? And then you get to conjecture and opinion, also you ignore the fact Bradford have been in financial straights more than a few times in their history, Bradford 1964 was the official name of the club after they went bust, but they've been in the quagmire more seasons than they haven't over the last decade and more, so actually I got ONE thing wrong not MANY unlike yourself..

As I'm located in the home counties I never went to odslum to watch Hull play them, I don't see what that has got anything to do with my opinion that Bradford aren't missed, that Odslum is a dump and it should not be redeveloped, creating more debt for a club that will never generate enough income to cover it, they couldn't manage it with the big crowds when they were winning ffs!

So what did I get wrong? You never went there when they were at their peak so don't know what the atmosphere was like so can't understand why that's what SL needs, occasions, that people want to be part of, the reason the public of Bradford and surrounding areas  went along in large numbers to a big hole in the ground that will never be redeveloped by the Bulls, the RFL or any outside developer, the costs of doing so would be astronomical, once they start excavating for the foundations there is no telling what might emerge in the way of toxic or poisonous materials that were landfilled in the 1930s. So yes it is a dump and will never be developed and the Bulls have had numerous administration's, all of which I have lived through but to say that SL can manage fine without them, I bet if you asked Lenaghan, McManus, Pearson Elstone etc they would have them back like a shot.    By the way, with your use of capital letters, do you type in green!

I'll try and ignore the troll but SL desperately misses Bradford. They were one of the biggest teams with the biggest crowds and games vs them often attracted other club's biggest crowds of the season (and not just at Headingley). They were also a good ratings puller and that is something the game misses when only six clubs at most in the current setup get much more than the minimum Sky coverage at the moment due to their lack of appeal.

The fans have taken a battering for over a decade and I doubt many clubs would have survived in much better state with similar circumstances. There is no reason to think, safely back in the top flight and on a sound footing, they would not be a club with a fanbase similar to those of Warrington and Saints. The stadium is definitely an issue - AFAIK it's been in a form of managed decline for the past few years but even if the Rooley Avenue end was closed off it would be a good sized ground, if slightly depressing.

49 minutes ago, M j M said:

I'll try and ignore the troll but SL desperately misses Bradford. They were one of the biggest teams with the biggest crowds and games vs them often attracted other club's biggest crowds of the season (and not just at Headingley). They were also a good ratings puller and that is something the game misses when only six clubs at most in the current setup get much more than the minimum Sky coverage at the moment due to their lack of appeal.

The fans have taken a battering for over a decade and I doubt many clubs would have survived in much better state with similar circumstances. There is no reason to think, safely back in the top flight and on a sound footing, they would not be a club with a fanbase similar to those of Warrington and Saints. The stadium is definitely an issue - AFAIK it's been in a form of managed decline for the past few years but even if the Rooley Avenue end was closed off it would be a good sized ground, if slightly depressing.

It looked a foreboding place when I drove past on Friday.  That area really cries out for redevelopment, but IMO, due to the location, it doesn’t look good.  Xscape at Cas has brought big numbers of shoppers etc into that area, maybe something similar would be a consideration.

With the current stadium, I doubt they would ever be comfortable.  

Always bulls fans at the big games and good to chat to.  Certainly they would bring more fans than those clubs that've been mentioned.

Archived