President of the RFL

The Baron Mk11

Its only a figurehead position and the high profile nature of Tony Adams can only be good for RL from a publicity angle 

His sporting chance clinic which helps people with issues such as depression, gambling, drug and alcohol addiction has helped over 400 RL players 

So we cant find someone steeped in rugby league to appoint to the post? Its a disgrace that from among the many folks who have served the great game so well as players, officials or administrators we cannot find one to honour with this designation. Instead we find a recovering alcoholic from a different sport. A very poor reflection on our game. Im glad harold shipman is dead......he might have been considered for the postgiven he helped folks with depression , gambling, drug and alcohol addiction. He also served at her majesty’s pleasure.  Maybe those are the qualifications.

I suppose that means the president of the RFL wont be able to get a visa to watch the sport he presides over in one of its growing markets.

Thank God I am not alone in questioning this appointment.  While a recovered alcoholic might be better than one who has not recovered, I think we might be able to find a few impressive folks with long and admirable histories in the game who have never been an alcoholic. I suppose that isnt saleable any more.

Archived