RFL initiative

grumpyoldram

On the general TRL forum. Might possibly be old news, but worth reading anyway. No mention of rewarding clubs for living within their means I see, but does mention financial sustainability. In all honesty, is there any such thing as a financially sustainable RFL club ?

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/sport/17292831.steve-neale-column-rfls-new-way-to-measure-success/

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

From what I've heard there's a lot of money riding on your website and social media output, Batley have upped theirs massively this last few weeks but im told the money is paid on overall numbers and not improvement. Ie if widnes have 10000 followers on Twitter and Dews have 1000 widnes get the most funding, the next season Dews grow up to 2000 followers and widnes drop to 8000, widnes still get the most funding, not sure if it's just rumours but surely funding should be on %increase to reward those trying to make a difference and not just sitting on their laurels. 

On 12/12/2018 at 5:27 PM, grumpyoldram said:

On the general TRL forum. Might possibly be old news, but worth reading anyway. No mention of rewarding clubs for living within their means I see, but does mention financial sustainability. In all honesty, is there any such thing as a financially sustainable RFL club ?

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/sport/17292831.steve-neale-column-rfls-new-way-to-measure-success/

If I understand correctly sustainability isn't strictly financial but also relates to interactions with the local community, as measured by such as Our League membership (do remember to nominate the team that you follow) and other elements of co-operative interaction. I addition there is a measure of "return on investment" - I'm not entirely sure how this is measured but one simple element is how much of the club's income, as a percentage, is created by central distribution. Clearly when the next TV contract is negotiated anf clubs such as ours learn how much, or little, we might receive then those who have made greater strides towards sustainability will be better placed. The declared withdrawal of Sky funding from cycling in 2019 should have sent a collective shiver down a few spines.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived