‘Sky Sports Rugby’

Seems like a good idea, I did wonder why there wasn't a rugby channel when they rebranded. Would surely mean there was a lot more league coverage even if a lot of it was highlights, classic games and magazine shows. Of course there is nothing wrong with those things. No reason they couldn't put together some other cheap content as well, even just 10-15 minute interviews with players and coaches or a quick look round teams training grounds or stadiums or something to fill in a few gaps throughout the day, wouldn't take much to create those little fillers, just a camera and a presenter, or even just a camera and a guy doing a voice over. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:44 PM, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've always said that I'd get sky if they brought out a package that was just sports and nothing else at all, say £15 a month, I'd get that but I don't watch much TV so aren't interested in anything else sky has to offer me. 

That's never going to happen unfortunately. Even the minimum Entertainment TV package these days is £22 without anything else at all.

On 12/13/2018 at 6:23 PM, Ant said:

I used to have Sky Sports, but can't justify it's cost for the little I'll watch it. A dedicated rugby channel will get my money 

But you won't be able to pay for it separately.  You'll still need an expensive sports package to watch it.

BT Sport has RU Live Premiership Games Fri, Sat, Sun. They also compile three hours of highlights from all the weekends games and this is shown at least twice. Does anyone know when the BT contract expires? Don't know if anyone is covering domestic RU League Cup or Second Tier Euro Cup? Top flight RU Euro matches and England Internationals are on Sky.

Having a dedicated Rugby Channel, showing both codes, would be a good thing in my opinion. However, for RL, having all the content hidden behind a pay wall may not be so good. If you want the casual sports enthusiast to encounter RL it's important to have some content on the "normal telly". Such as the Challenge Cup, the recent New Zealand games, both provide a good shop window.

BT Sport have a relationship with Channel 5 who buy content for an hours highlights show and a couple of live games per season. If Sky were to do this with RL & RU on C5 / C4 that would be a bonus for the public and help Sky defray their costs. Of course there's a big emphasis on "Live" sport, but with a dedicated channel there's an opportunity to show all the Championship and League 1 matches throughout the following week. 

2 hours ago, Damien said:

That's never going to happen unfortunately. Even the minimum Entertainment TV package these days is £22 without anything else at all.

You can get Sky Sport via the Internet on their "Now TV" Service. You can watch it on a PC, Smart Phone or Smart TV with the Now Ap, they also do a plug in stick that will turn a TV with a USB connection into a Smart TV that can handle their content. There are often introductory offers with a trial month at £16 per month, for Now Sports, but the regular price is £33.00 per month. This gets you all sports channels, no contract, cancel anytime. This is better than having a regular Sky Package plus Sports if all you want is Sports. But, if you only want Rugby, it's still expensive. If Sky did do a Rugby Channel they could choose to offer it, as a stand alone product, via their Web Now TV Service.

4 posts deleted. Don’t promote illegal streaming on this site that relies on its links to a Sky Sports funded sport to keep it going. 

A repeat by the person doing so on here will result in an instant and permanent ban. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

no thanks, it'll be utterly shonky, why do people think it's going to be great, on what basis?? What makes them think RL will get more money??

SKY have put out garbage in terms of RL titbits and then pulled the garbage completely, they screw fans over with their time/date changes and with no live games on a sunday how are people seeing this as an improvement when there's nothing to suggest it will be?

I'd rather pay the BBC a subscription fee than let sky have another few more years of taking the micturate.

I have two issues with this -

1. I perceive it might be a ghetto. It's in RL's interests to remain on the general channels where people are more likely to be channel hopping.

2. We are not the same sport. Why not pair netball and ice hockey or beach volleyball and darts? We have spent 123 years fighting to detach the bungee cord back to union and the crossover in viewers isn't as great by any stretch as might be imagined. I don't want to end up sharing a channel with them.

40 minutes ago, M j M said:

I have two issues with this -

1. I perceive it might be a ghetto. It's in RL's interests to remain on the general channels where people are more likely to be channel hopping.

2. We are not the same sport. Why not pair netball and ice hockey or beach volleyball and darts? We have spent 123 years fighting to detach the bungee cord back to union and the crossover in viewers isn't as great by any stretch as might be imagined. I don't want to end up sharing a channel with them.

Whilst I think it should result in more coverage and airtime, as well as more money as Sky would need RL, these are certainly very valid concerns too.

1 hour ago, Ant said:

Until the BBC realises it can have a wealth of top quality sports programming for a very competitive cost then RL is shackled to sky. 

While the BBC is run by the old school tie then they'll give us nothing. 

Did you miss the Beeb’s comment that ‘all live RL underperforms slot average’? Not everything is a conspiracy. 

So the next question is why RL underperforms, and that is the billion quid question. 

1 hour ago, Chamey said:

Did you miss the Beeb’s comment that ‘all live RL underperforms slot average’? Not everything is a conspiracy. 

So the next question is why RL underperforms, and that is the billion quid question.

Again, you’ve twisted it. It said domestic RL, ie the Cup 

9 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Again, you’ve twisted it. It said domestic RL, ie the Cup 

Well we clearly weren’t talking about internationals, given that they’re already televised. ‘Domestic rugby league on the channel is declining with all audiences for live games below the timeslot average’ was the full quote. If the CC (traditionally one of the biggest competitions in the U.K.) is performing below average then it’s not surprising that they’re not jumping for Batley vs Dewsbury. 

3 hours ago, Chamey said:

I didn't miss it

What I did miss was the parity of advertising of events, news reporting of results and studio appearances of players that the BBC affords to pretty much any other sport it still covers. 

The BBC for example has 2 regular weekly shows covering the NFL, a sort not covered by the BBC and not even played professionally in the UK. compared to the one, wandering timeslot comparitor it gives the RL.

Are we surprised then that it underperformed? 

Had a feeling that this would happen when sky went down the dedicated sports channel route, it could be a positive thing ,League being the summer sport and Union in the winter, obviously their will be a period when both codes play at the same time , but it might just get some more union fans watching our great game, the more national exposure the better,

Archived