‘Sky Sports Rugby’

Just now, scotchy1 said:

Because it happened. It wasn't a surprise to Sky that this happened. 

I'm not sure why we are trying to divorce the two things. It isn't a hypothetical it's what happened. The signing of the deal and the change in structure are clearly linked.

We also got a new logo. Was that part of the deal?

I should add, I made that bit up, I have no idea whether we got a new logo at that time of the year.

But I am happy to agree to disagree, the evidence suggests that Sky weren't bothered about what structure we had - they have said so, Ian Lenegan has said so, we have changed it. That is what I base my opinion, and am happy with that.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dave T said:

But the "under z structure" bit clearly wasn't part of the deal, because we have changed structure with a couple of years left. And Lenegan has been extremely clear in saying that Sky pay for a number of games and we provide them.

Careful, Careful there's only Parky allowed to speak for Lenaghan on here?

9 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There's nothing in there that remotely even begins to explain why the BBC, or anyone else, would want to make a commitment to showing multiple rugby league games a week.

You said that the BBC don't even have soccer on live as often as what I was asking for  - 2 live SL games and a CH match. I countered that by stating why they don't because of the obscene cost, even the one hour soccer highlights programme over 38 weeks costs more than the whole of SKY's RL package. I suppose you are also totally unaware of how much a handful of six nations matches cost the BBC also?

There is no financial reason why the BBC cannot take the reigns of live RL from SKY,  being on FTA is the only viable way to increase not just viewing numbers but interest in the sport as a whole. the BBC numbers give no indication as to what they are comparing, it's insulting to make anything of a garbage 45 minute slot for the highlights package, it's also not good enough in terms of production in any case nor indeed advertising it or RL on the BBC as a whole. As I said, if they actually did things in the same way they do for RU then there would be a massive differential IMHO, when you look at advertising/promotion of other sports/events RL is not just minuscule, it's non existent.

51 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

You said that the BBC don't even have soccer on live as often as what I was asking for  - 2 live SL games and a CH match. I countered that by stating why they don't because of the obscene cost, even the one hour soccer highlights programme over 38 weeks costs more than the whole of SKY's RL package. I suppose you are also totally unaware of how much a handful of six nations matches cost the BBC also?

BBC1 and BBC2 are not sports channels - they are variety channels. They want a bit of everything, including a variety of sport. A few weeks of RU in Jan/Feb/whenever that stuff's on. Some live RL as the Challenge Cup pops up and some internationals. Regular highlights of football of course for an hour a week plus a selection of live games from some competitions. Olympics, athletics, whatever, as it arises. But blocking out effectively two or three hour segments every Saturday and Sunday afternoon from late January to mid-October, or later if they have international rights, for Rugby League on the main two channels in addition to all the other bits of sports coverage is not something they want to do, or anyone should expect them to do.

14 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

from 2020 show a lot more cricket

It's ten short-form matches across a whole summer isn't it?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

plus 2 t20 internationals, plus highlights to all home tests, ODIs, and T20Is, plus 1 womens T20I and 8 womens domestic 100 games.

I didn't know that. Cheers.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It’s 12 live games (26hrs) of a national sport per year, it’s not comparable to the BBC taking on SL. 

However notably sky did increase their bid, despite losing exclusivity. 

ITV however could be interested, for they have 4 channels, can but the best matches on 1&2, the rest on 3&4. Might have to give some concessions, like 2 minute breaks on 20&60 minutes. 

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Sky have just launched Sky Sports USA for US sport as a pop up where Sky Sports Darts is so there is some mileage in the idea that they are further diversifying their sports brands. Sky Sports Rugby would probably fit with that

But this goes massively against the idea Sky arent going to pay good money for SL. Sky Sports Rugby without SL or the RU already elsewhere is dead on arrival

Definitely  noticed more focus on American sports lately . Never seen owt in them personally but it must be a big thing for them they think

58 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Sky have just launched Sky Sports USA

Impressive given that they don't have baseball, hockey or NCAA rights.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Impressive given that they don't have baseball, hockey or NCAA rights.

Only for the month of January though. NFL playoffs, plenty of live NBA games (typically in the middle of the night) and the rest of it will be padded out by documentaries like (the excellent) America's Game.

Archived