War of the Roses coming back?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, makes sense and although it upsets traditionalists like me, I can understand the potential for attracting new fans.

I suppose. You’d have thought Yorkshire v Lancashire would be a big enough ‘brand’ though

I think a War of the roses match would be great. As a neutral, I'd be more interested in it than I am in club RL.

I also think the potential for making a spectacle of it and attracting a wider audience, is much greater than for something like the Challenge Cup final, which realistically will only ever have limited appeal outside of regular RL fans.

I'd make sure that it was on the BBC and try and get the whole country involved in the occasion.

Things like this are also a bit of fun, to help people choose which side they're on:

http://red-or-white.mirror.co.uk/index.html

War of the roses?

Will they have Edward IV playing scrum-half and Richard III at stand-off for the Yorkists, with Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick as their battering ram front-rower? For the Lancastrians how will Henry VI perform at fullback when he is completely senile? All the while Lancasters coach Margaret Beaufort is off-side with her own fans for selecting her little boy Henry Tudor to be captain and star scrum half.

If this isn’t anything other than a load of old pros going at it in a game of Twenty20 cricket to raise money for charity, it’s lunacy. 

Firstly, Yorkshire v Lancashire is an outdated, parochial, small time event that most of the country cannot get behind and keeps the image of the sport exactly where it is, in former mining towns across the M62. 

Also, if this is anything, have the Super League clubs agreed to this? 

If it is a game of Rugby League, the connotations with T20 are twenty over cricket, so what could that mean for us? Twenty minute halves, presumably. No mention of it yet but if this is the case, I don’t expect to see thirteen players on each side, either. 

Archived