War of the Roses coming back?

53 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

If this isn’t anything other than a load of old pros going at it in a game of Twenty20 cricket to raise money for charity, it’s lunacy. 

Firstly, Yorkshire v Lancashire is an outdated, parochial, small time event that most of the country cannot get behind and keeps the image of the sport exactly where it is, in former mining towns across the M62. 

Also, if this is anything, have the Super League clubs agreed to this? 

If it is a game of Rugby League, the connotations with T20 are twenty over cricket, so what could that mean for us? Twenty minute halves, presumably. No mention of it yet but if this is the case, I don’t expect to see thirteen players on each side, either. 

#angry

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

Dress up what ever way you want, its still won't help us beat the Aussies in a test series.

We seriously need to increase the junior playing base for starters by getting more schools playing our game.

Hmmm... Yes maybe true, but... Our juniors have just beaten the Aussies.

10 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

War of the roses?

Will they have Edward IV playing scrum-half and Richard III at stand-off for the Yorkists, with Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick as their battering ram front-rower? For the Lancastrians how will Henry VI perform at fullback when he is completely senile? All the while Lancasters coach Margaret Beaufort is off-side with her own fans for selecting her little boy Henry Tudor to be captain and star scrum half.

Richard III will have his 2 substitutes locked up in the Tower. And Lord Stanley swapping jerseys at half time. I guess the trophy will have to be picked up out of a thorn bush.

(This is a good game, probably better than the real one!)

17 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Cricket have T20 dont they? So a cricket match?

Cricket have T20 so much that it's a registered trademark.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Thinking out loud here but it seems that the powers that be are intent on developing the 9’s side of the game, which is fair enough, even if some don’t really think it’s needed.

We also have League One, where we have an odd number of teams and less games for those teams at that level. 

The 9’s game needs a bit of a trail run before we use it on Clubs/Internationally and League One Clubs have gaps in their seasons. 

So why not do a dummy run with League One Clubs? Currently we have eleven League One clubs and we’d ideally need twelve, so invite another. Maybe the French Champions? Red Star? A top NCL side? Who knows but invite a twelth side. 

Split the twelve into two by location. So that’s Coventry Bears, North Wales Crusaders, Oldham, West Wales Raiders, Whitehaven and Workington in the Western competition and Doncaster, Hunslet, Keighley Cougars, London Skolars, Newcastle Thunder and the invited side in the Eastern competition. 

I’d split them into two groups of three and the two group winners would progress to a Final. 

I’d hold each one over two days. So, say, the Eastern one on the Saturday and the Western one on Sunday. 

I’d hold them at Super League grounds in the East or West of the country with the hosting team playing that day too. So for example, you could have the Eastern competition starting at say 10.30 on the Saturday with say Leeds v someone at 6.30-7.00 and the Western one at say St Helens on the Sunday with Saints playing someone at 6.30-7.00 on the Sunday. 

4 minutes ago, Yorkie44 said:

It looks like it is this:

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/54079/rugby-football-league-launches-rlt

RLT20, T being 'transitional'

To be fair it seems a good concept, hopefully it will address the loss of a lot of younger adults that aren't ready to 'step up' to full open age.

Concept is decent; name is so far beyond awful.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, Yorkie44 said:

It looks like it is this:

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/54079/rugby-football-league-launches-rlt

RLT20, T being 'transitional'

To be fair it seems a good concept, hopefully it will address the loss of a lot of younger adults that aren't ready to 'step up' to full open age.

What a moronic name, literally anything would've been better.

26 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Concept is decent; name is so far beyond awful.

25 minutes ago, Chamey said:

What a moronic name, literally anything would've been better.

14 minutes ago, wackojacko said:

Well I'm relieved it's not what I thought, although the name is admittedly really dumb.

Aye,

I can't even fathom why they have done it, there is no real need to advertise to a wider audience other than existing clubs, who would have joined it regardless; they were obviuosly hoping to piggyback on the name of cricket but to what end?

Why not just 'National 20's League' NTL?

13 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

War of the roses?

Will they have Edward IV playing scrum-half and Richard III at stand-off for the Yorkists, with Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick as their battering ram front-rower? For the Lancastrians how will Henry VI perform at fullback when he is completely senile? All the while Lancasters coach Margaret Beaufort is off-side with her own fans for selecting her little boy Henry Tudor to be captain and star scrum half.

Will the 'White Princess' be the celebrity to kick the match off?

20 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I won’t be satisfied until there’s a War of the Roses olympics!

Us sophisticatated types on the right side of the hill proving our superiority once again.

Depends on your perspective, are you standing in the South looking North or standing in the North looking South?

7 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

It looks like the RFL are making a start in increasing participation levels (long overdue) and, for that, they deserve to be applauded

Sorry you are not allowed to be positive, rules on here are criticise the RFL if they do nothing, criticise if they try something.

You should know better and be banned from here ?

Archived