War of the Roses coming back?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Yorkie44 said:

It looks like it is this:

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/54079/rugby-football-league-launches-rlt

RLT20, T being 'transitional'

To be fair it seems a good concept, hopefully it will address the loss of a lot of younger adults that aren't ready to 'step up' to full open age.

"Transitioning" seems like something to do with cross gender I'm afraid.

If you need to explain it with what looks like 2000 words as well as a meaningless headline, then it's too complicated and not going to work.

But the fundamental logic seems sound enough.

Well I'm still confused, having read the info on the link.

It reads to me as players that are currently at existing clubs playing in a league with an age range.  I'm trying to guess how its different than say a age specified reserve comp.

I can't see the link talking about creating new clubs.

I guess I am missing something.

And the player pool gets diluted yet again. I wouldn’t be surprised if they find there’s not a single player who gets involved fast won’t also play open age. What self righteous 20 year old is going to say, I don’t want to play open age. 

The issue here is not inventing an uneccessary comp but making sure all the U19s players who get so disallusioned with the scholarship programme are not lost to the game forever. In fact, abandon the scholarship scheme and you’ll instantly double the number of 19 year olds who are still playing the game.

I’ll give it one year, if it gets out of the traps in the first place. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

On 12/14/2018 at 10:49 PM, The 4 of Us said:

And the player pool gets diluted yet again. I wouldn’t be surprised if they find there’s not a single player who gets involved fast won’t also play open age. What self righteous 20 year old is going to say, I don’t want to play open age. 

The issue here is not inventing an uneccessary comp but making sure all the U19s players who get so disallusioned with the scholarship programme are not lost to the game forever. In fact, abandon the scholarship scheme and you’ll instantly double the number of 19 year olds who are still playing the game.

I’ll give it one year, if it gets out of the traps in the first place. 

I can’t help but agree with you, I don’t think this will receive much backing at all and will struggle for any traction or credibility.

On 12/13/2018 at 7:29 PM, Sports Prophet said:

What marketing genius drops the Lancashire name from the war of the roses?

Idiots!

Meet loads of people who say there are from Greater Manchester or Merseyside. You are from Lancashire ffs. And that is from a Yorkshireman.

16 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Does anyone from Greater Manchester or Merseyside support Lancashire at cricket? If so, why can't they also get behind a Lancashire rugby league team? At the end of the day, it's top class sport.

Average daily attendance for county championship at Old Trafford is just short of 1000. Lancashire are one of the better supported clubs.

T20 cricket does a lot better, but average crowd of 7000 odd still below superleague, in spite of massively better tv & press coverage than RL.

On 12/19/2018 at 3:01 PM, JonM said:

Average daily attendance for county championship at Old Trafford is just short of 1000. Lancashire are one of the better supported clubs.

T20 cricket does a lot better, but average crowd of 7000 odd still below superleague, in spite of massively better tv & press coverage than RL.

Thanks, but my question was more concerned with how many of those fans aren't from/don't live in what is now Lancashire, yet still support Lancashire at cricket.

I'd imagine that if you're a cricket fan living in Manchester, you're going to support Lancashire, even though you live in Greater Manchester and not Lancashire.

If I apply the same logic, surely someone living in Manchester who likes rugby league, would also support the Lancashire team against Yorkshire.

Given the lack of top quality games that have the potential to appeal to a wider, non-RL fan, audience, I find it quite incredible that more isn't made of the Lancashire v Yorkshire rivalry.

It's a game that I think should be on the BBC every year, and something that RL fans should get behind.

• 7 months later...
On 14/12/2018 at 13:03, Yorkie44 said:

It looks like it is this:

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/54079/rugby-football-league-launches-rlt

RLT20, T being 'transitional'

To be fair it seems a good concept, hopefully it will address the loss of a lot of younger adults that aren't ready to 'step up' to full open age.

Has it happened?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 19:38, 17 stone giant said:

I like the idea of an origin game, but I agree with your assessment.

Either do Yorkshire v Lancashire, or do East v West (or North East vs North West).

I would go with East v West which is Best slogan

Chief Crazy Eagle

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Absolutely nobody associates themselves as “Eastern” or “Western” in the UK. North v South is a thing in the UK, East v West isn’t. 

This is true... If only the South was good at RL there would be a grudge match here. That would sell. 

As a Southerner I get the impression the North as a whole gets on OK, regardless of if one is from Yorkshire or Lancashire. And as such there isn't a NSW v QLD type rivalry. The rivalry is at local club level ie Saints and Wigan or Hull and Hull KR. 

I'm sure though if Soccer did a London and South v North and Midlands game people would love it as there is some rivalry and a different way of life. Ala NSW and QLD. 

4 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Absolutely nobody associates themselves as “Eastern” or “Western” in the UK.

That's true.

4 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

North v South is a thing in the UK, East v West isn’t. 

I don't even think that is a thing, to be honest. Who really cares about North v South at anything? Does any sport ever play North vs South?

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Sport wise, there’s not, though there’s a genuine rivalry, I would say. 

Do you reckon? In what way? As people were discussing in another thread, where does the north even start? Will people in Nottingham be in the north or south? I remember going to a Nottingham Forest vs Bradford football match and the Forest fans were singing "you dirty northern b..." after a Bradford player had committed a foul.

I tend to find that whenever someone northern slags off the south, what they basically mean is some posh people in London and the home counties. When the complaint is that the south gets all the money, really what people mean is London does. There's more to the south than that.

Equally, when southerners or people from the rest of the country mock the northerners, it tends to be aimed mostly at Yorkshire folk. It's not really aimed at Geordies and people in the North East.

7 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

This is true... If only the South was good at RL there would be a grudge match here. That would sell. 

As a Southerner I get the impression the North as a whole gets on OK, regardless of if one is from Yorkshire or Lancashire. And as such there isn't a NSW v QLD type rivalry. The rivalry is at local club level ie Saints and Wigan or Hull and Hull KR. 

I'm sure though if Soccer did a London and South v North and Midlands game people would love it as there is some rivalry and a different way of life. Ala NSW and QLD. 

Scousers and Mancs detest each other, infinitely more so than anyone from the south. It’s a rivalry that goes beyond football with many stating it stems from being rival cities in the industrial revolution. 

England is very parochial, much more so than almost anywhere else (off the top of my head only Spain would exceed it). A Scouser would only be happy if a Scouse player scored for England, if a Manc was through on goal (to win the World Cup) a Scouser would want them to miss, likewise a Manc with a Scouser. To quote Jamie Carragher’s text message which he posted on the bus as it was leaving the stadium after he missed a pen for England in the 2006 World Cup pen shoot-out quarter-final defeat...”ah well its only England”. Did that with Liverpool he’d have been devastated.

Having just googled the quote (he actually received the message, "F*** it! It's only England"), there’s even more eye opening stuff.

“Our nation is divided, not only in terms of prosperity, but by different regional outlooks. For some of us, civic pride overpowers nationality. 

When Diego Maradona knocked England out of the 1986 World Cup in Mexico, 10 minutes later I was outside playing with my mates copying the handball goal.”

Jamie Carragher, future England international footballer. ? 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/id-just-missed-a-penalty-in-the-world-333861

Archived