7. Featherstone

8. Bradford

9. Barrow

10. Batley

11. Sheffield

12. Dewsbury

13. Rochdale

14. Swinton

I guess that most would agree with the general forecast, although a couple look a bit out to me. I don't know how strong Leigh will eventually end up without DB's input, but will he change his mind?York could well finish 6th but I feel that they would be happy with anything above 10th, and I expect Bradford to finish much higher than 8th if only because of JK's knowledge of this league. As for us then, avoiding simple blind faith, it is currently difficult to predict as most of us haven't seen the team as a whole nor individual players to be able to judge; we might actually be relieved to finish 12th or disappointed not to finish 8th - who can tell?

I am sure that the drum-beaters and flag-wavers from some other clubs will be outraged by their predicted status (and remember he had London finishing 8th last year) but will that be down to the pain of reality or just a preference for delusion? What GS can't predict, of course, is which club will hit financial problems first, possibly affecting the whole of the league.

Let comments commence!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

In League Express GS makes the following predictions for the Championship:

1. Toronto

I am sure that the drum-beaters and flag-wavers from some other clubs will be outraged by their predicted status (and remember he had London finishing 8th last year) but will that be down to the pain of reality or just a preference for delusion?Let comments commence!

No...I think he has hit it it right on the head here...thats one bright fellow!  I'm not outraged at all. 

9 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

1. Toronto

2. Leigh

3. Widnes

4. Toulouse

5. Halifax

6. York

7. Featherstone

8. Bradford

9. Barrow

10. Batley

11. Sheffield

12. Dewsbury

13. Rochdale

14. Swinton

I guess that most would agree with the general forecast, although a couple look a bit out to me. I don't know how strong Leigh will eventually end up without DB's input, but will he change his mind?York could well finish 6th but I feel that they would be happy with anything above 10th, and I expect Bradford to finish much higher than 8th if only because of JK's knowledge of this league. As for us then, avoiding simple blind faith, it is currently difficult to predict as most of us haven't seen the team as a whole nor individual players to be able to judge; we might actually be relieved to finish 12th or disappointed not to finish 8th - who can tell?

I am sure that the drum-beaters and flag-wavers from some other clubs will be outraged by their predicted status (and remember he had London finishing 8th last year) but will that be down to the pain of reality or just a preference for delusion? What GS can't predict, of course, is which club will hit financial problems first, possibly affecting the whole of the league.

Let comments commence!

Slightly surprised by Barrow and Sheffield (given the latters spending) and I'd swap them around.  Then swap Leigh with Widnes and I think he should be more or less on the money

1 hour ago, NickD said:

Slightly surprised by Barrow and Sheffield (given the latters spending) and I'd swap them around.  Then swap Leigh with Widnes and I think he should be more or less on the money

Yes, I overlooked Sheffield - more likely to be top 8 than some. As for Barrow, it all depends upon how long the money holds out.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

1. Toronto

2. Leigh

3. Widnes

4. Toulouse

5. Halifax

6. York

7. Featherstone

8. Bradford

9. Barrow

10. Batley

11. Sheffield

12. Dewsbury

13. Rochdale

14. Swinton

Let comments commence!

We predict financial meltdown  for clubs that overstretch their resources every year, and yet there they are, still there, and still over stretching. Makes you wonder who are going to get their comeupances first, the spendthrifts, or the more prudent, less ambitious (apparently) clubs like us and the dogs.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Mr schofield predicted London would finish 10th

And we know how far he was out on that

I'll take 12th before the season kicks off

With the group of players we have

And Lee Greenwood approach

We will catch a couple out. 

Rochdale & Swinton to finish below us

And South yorkshire's favourite gypsy club to finish around 9th if not slightly higher if the caravans from St Helens pitch up. 

Fun won't be repeated like last year's soap opera, fev with new coach and no top 4 finish will just make them also rans, is there a grand final for promotion? If so don't expect Toronto to be dead certs... Funny old game rugby league ;)

My prediction:

1 Toronto

2 Toulouse

3 Widnes

4 Halifax 

5 Leigh

6 Featherstone 

7 Bradford

8 York

9 Sheffield 

10 Batley

11 Dewsbury 

12 Barrow 

13 Swinton

14 Rochdale

York, I understand, are keen to show they mean business and will be intent to finish in the top four (don't think they will). I am not sure about Leigh and Featherstone this time, but will probably be close. 

Dark horses for me are Sheffield (and with their acquisitions ought to do something) and Barrow. 

I think us I finishing 12th would be acceptable, but would feel happier a place above. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

14 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

My prediction:

1 Toronto

2 Toulouse

3 Widnes

4 Halifax 

5 Leigh

6 Featherstone 

7 Bradford

8 York

9 Sheffield 

10 Batley

11 Dewsbury 

12 Barrow 

13 Swinton

14 Rochdale

York, I understand, are keen to show they mean business and will be intent to finish in the top four (don't think they will). I am not sure about Leigh and Featherstone this time, but will probably be close. 

Dark horses for me are Sheffield (and with their acquisitions ought to do something) and Barrow. 

I think us I finishing 12th would be acceptable, but would feel happier a place above. 

Delighted with 12th. Still have a feeling it might be academic anyway.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

8 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

Delighted with 12th. Still have a feeling it might be academic anyway.

Your delight or the outcome?

At our age any pleasures will be largely ephemeral and ultimately academic, as you say.

23 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

My prediction:

1 Toronto

2 Toulouse

3 Widnes

4 Halifax 

5 Leigh

6 Featherstone 

7 Bradford

8 York

9 Sheffield 

10 Batley

11 Dewsbury 

12 Barrow 

13 Swinton

14 Rochdale

I am baffled with the opinion that York and Fev will be up there. York may mean business but the squad doesn't back that up.Would be surprised if they get 2 wins from first 5. I am unsure too about Fev, Weaker than last season with a new coach? Widnes and Toronto will run away with this division this year imo. Bradford will be very strong this season along with Fax and Toulouse. About right for us 11 or 12 unless we unearth some gems.

23 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

My prediction:

1 Toronto

2 Toulouse

3 Widnes

4 Halifax 

5 Leigh

6 Featherstone 

7 Bradford

8 York

9 Sheffield 

10 Batley

11 Dewsbury 

12 Barrow 

13 Swinton

14 Rochdale

Think you have got it pretty right , your 5th to 10th could be in any order tho

IMG_0583.JPG

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Your delight or the outcome?

At our age any pleasures will be largely ephemeral and ultimately academic, as you say.

Sadly, the limits of my expectations (but not my hopes) only run to avoiding the drop these days, so my delight will be at finishing 12th. Before anybody has a go about my defeatist attitude, I'm simply being realistic, given our somewhat limited finances. As things stand, it seems we can't even afford to compete with Batley on the financial front, although the bookies don't seem to agree. I hope to be around long enough to be , at some point, confounded - Leicester FC have already proved that near miracles can happen. ;)

George Bernard Shaw.

11 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

Sadly, the limits of my expectations (but not my hopes) only run to avoiding the drop these days, so my delight will be at finishing 12th. Before anybody has a go about my defeatist attitude, I'm simply being realistic, given our somewhat limited finances. As things stand, it seems we can't even afford to compete with Batley on the financial front, although the bookies don't seem to agree. I hope to be around long enough to be , at some point, confounded - Leicester FC have already proved that near miracles can happen. ;)

I agree with you GOR, I'm not having a go here, and I sincerely hope I'm wrong with this and Greenwood can produce a bit of a miracle.

Given that you have signed such a large proportion of players from mid table championship 1 sides last season, it doesn't exactly shout anything other than a relegation dogfight to me.

If Swinton and Rochdale do well out of there tie ups with Wigan and Warrington, I think you could be in a bit of trouble. It will be interesting to see how many players, and of what quality they release in turn for the recent funding votes. 

I think Bradford will be up there, Sheffield too, and Leigh certainly cannot be under rated, not really sure about York, of course they are brimming with confidence coming into the league. As for the rest of us well, we have all been tarred with the same brush, e.g. will struggle to cope...…….well I hope we prove the pundits wrong. Sadly everyone sees Swinton (my team) in the bottom two :(

Gary Schofield sure has it in for Swinton Lions.He has never predicted us to stay up even in our first season when it was done without restructuring and Bradford’s 12 point deduction(and yes I accept twice we could have/should have gone down).

I think we must have upset him in a previous life??

Not unnatrurally I supose but so many people take these predictions personally, assuming that GS has something in for their club. My understanding is that he is trying to be as objective as possible without any burden of favouritism.

And it is just a bit of pre-season entertainment after all.

On 12/26/2018 at 11:36 AM, Blind side johnny said:

Not unnatrurally I supose but so many people take these predictions personally, assuming that GS has something in for their club. My understanding is that he is trying to be as objective as possible without any burden of favouritism.

And it is just a bit of pre-season entertainment after all.

Yeah and last season it were London fans giving it him yet he got their prediction spot on the year before, people seem to forget to mention that.

• 2 months later...
On 12/18/2018 at 6:16 PM, YOUNG UN said:

I am baffled with the opinion that York and Fev will be up there. York may mean business but the squad doesn't back that up.Would be surprised if they get 2 wins from first 5. I am unsure too about Fev, Weaker than last season with a new coach? Widnes and Toronto will run away with this division this year imo. Bradford will be very strong this season along with Fax and Toulouse. About right for us 11 or 12 unless we unearth some gems.

Hope your surprised mate, long way to go I know but not a bad start from us 4 out 5 ,all the best for the season bud ?

• 6 months later...

So, how did you do?

Not too many red faces considering although we all underestimated York's success and weren't aware of Widnes's points deduction.

On 18/12/2018 at 18:16, YOUNG UN said:

York are up there.

26 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

York are up there.

Jammy throughout.   Tonnes of wins by tiny margins. Notably against us?

Shows  great spirit but will that be enough next year?

Archived