Mayfield

The Lad

So we have a presession game against mayfield, while I like the Memorial Trophy and think if you are going to have a game against Mayfield then it should be for a something that means something. I can't help the feeling that this is just going to give us injury wories before the start of the session as last time we played them players where left battered and broken literally. 

Also this new partnership also seems one-sided we give them free tickets, preferential treatment when it comes to playing opertunites, and coatching them at certain times of the year.

http://www.hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk/article/52127/hornets-and-mayfield-launch-formal-partnership

Great news!   Long overdue, but just what the community needs and hopefully swell numbers for home and some away ties with players joining the ranks in due course. A "Battle of the Borough" game too, 12Jan with kids under 16 free.

The training aspect with Mayfield is interesting - presumably this is in tandem with our dr with Wolves (which I have yet to see confirmed)?

16 hours ago, The Lad said:

So we have a presession game against mayfield, while I like the Memorial Trophy and think if you are going to have a game against Mayfield then it should be for a something that means something. I can't help the feeling that this is just going to give us injury wories before the start of the session as last time we played them players where left battered and broken literally. 

Also this new partnership also seems one-sided we give them free tickets, preferential treatment when it comes to playing opertunites, and coatching them at certain times of the year.

They'd only come to fight. I hope things are different this time.

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Please grow a pair.

Maybe we should play some women's team to avoid the possibility of injury.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

2 minutes ago, Big Doug said:

Please grow a pair.

Maybe we should play some women's team to avoid the possibility of injury.

Tell Trumper that, he ended up with a broken jaw and he wasn't the same player afterwards. Hard rugby is fine, cheap shots on tackled players - not for me.

I'll be honest I wouldn't play them again. Maybe the powers that be at the club aren't aware of previous games.

16 hours ago, The Lad said:

And what about Hornets training at Mayfield. You clearly have a one sided view. Its about time that we embraced all levels of RL in Rochdale. There have been times last season when Mayfield have had nearly as big a home crowd gate as Hornets have.

The way that RL is going down the plug hole at our level is very worrying. It would be foolhardy to overlook anything that might put some more bums on seats and also attract more kids into the game.

Any game of RL provides the possibility of injury. Are you saying that we should go into the season with no pre season run outs because that's what it sounds like.

I suppose we could play Warrington a get a real good hiding. !!!!!!!!!!!!

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

45 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Its sad that a club gets a bad reputation like that, especially from both amateur and professional ranks, 

1 hour ago, Big Doug said:

And what about Hornets training at Mayfield.

Isn't that a down grade from Warrington? i don't know the arrangement  with Warrington but if we aren't keeping our agreement with them in its current form then Mayfield is a poor substitute.

1 hour ago, Big Doug said:

Any game of RL provides the possibility of injury. Are you saying that we should go into the season with no pre season run outs because that's what it sounds like.

When did i say that, try rereading things that helps. I never had a problem with playing Oldham in preseason nor any other teams but Mayfield have a habit of being dirty and with a small squad we can't afford to get players injured before the real games and playing teams like Mayfield will only make that greater.  

32 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Why ?

If thats why should the team be training in Rochdale, I would say the answer is because its Rochdale Hornets funnily enough 

Train at Mayfield Sat morning when the kids are training - the kids may then watch training, become interested in what they are seeing then come to comes to watch the players they have just watched train 

Train in Warrington, above dosent happen 

On 12/18/2018 at 4:04 PM, Big Doug said:

And what about Hornets training at Mayfield. You clearly have a one sided view. Its about time that we embraced all levels of RL in Rochdale. There have been times last season when Mayfield have had nearly as big a home crowd gate as Hornets have.

The way that RL is going down the plug hole at our level is very worrying. It would be foolhardy to overlook anything that might put some more bums on seats and also attract more kids into the game.

I suppose we could play Warrington a get a real good hiding. !!!!!!!!!!!!

We are playing Warrington Doug, Saturday 26th January at the Crown Oil Arena. Major sponsorship deal announced, Battle of the Borough, Law Cup, what more can we ask for, oh, and we have just despatched two large boxes full of kit and balls to Fiji for the kids.

I am delighted at the progress the club is making after a somewhat quiet period over the last few weeks

In the announcement of the Warrington game it says "with our duel Reg partners" so from that I assume we are still going to be DR with the Warrington Club.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

12 hours ago, Gavinr said:

the kids may then watch training, become interested in what they are seeing then come to comes to watch the players they have just watched trai

You're right Gavinr, couldn't of said it better myself.

Hornets disciplinary record has been very poor the last few seasons so people in glass houses! Its a fine line between playing it hard and playing it dirty, if we draw Mayfield in the cup we will have take the hits. I think the game should be at Mayfield though, Mayfield would get the bar takings ( nothing at Hornets) i dare say it would be cheaper entrance fee thus bigger crowd. By the way I'm a Hornets and Mayfield supporter. 

I don't think it's just me that are complaining about Mayfield. I follow their game in the Observer and they seem to play plenty of games a man down, sometimes It's two men. However it's not just Mayfield, other amateur clubs in the Challenge Club have come to Hornets thinking that it's ok to knock our heads off.

i remember one Yorkshire amateur team coming to Hornets who had a big fat lad who came on as a forward sub. He was 3rd or 4 th man in every tackle and every time it was a sly punch.

Eventually the big fat lad decided to take the ball up. Damian Ball caught him in the ribs with a perfect tackle. It took the big lad a while to get up after that. I don't recall him doing much afterwards.

You will always get a nob head showing off to their supporters by trying to flatten a semi pro. Unfortunately the rounds when amateurs and semi pros clash are played at a time of heavy pitches, a leveler, firmer grounds would lead to more predictable results. Thats one of the reasons there are less shocks in part timers versus full timers because the grounds in those rounds are firmer. 

As someone who went to school in Rochdale, played youth level rugby for Littleborough and had trials at hornets, but I am an out and out fan for the enemy. I find this a fantastic opportunity for you to get the kids into spotland, it makes sense to forge strong links to a very strong amateur club which has Matt Calland's DNA running threw it. 

I must applaud your board in the way the barriers have been broken down and for me I can only dream of the day that something like this happens at the end of the A627(M) 

On 12/18/2018 at 11:03 AM, The Baron Mk11 said:

Instead of being negative lets try to be positive about efforts from both sides to build a relationship that, lets face it, should have happened years ago.

really?, why? the last time we played we ended up with broken bones. I agree that we should create ties with them but off the field. We are entering a tough season and i don't think injuries are what we need. I hope we  have a relationship with them they are one of the best conference teams out there but matches between them and us have an undertone on both sides and its not something we need. Also would a team only one league down  like Hunslet R.L.F.C. or Newcastle Thunder be better, so we could asses were we where, we have  Warrington, oldham wouldn't it be better to have a team form league 1  to give us a game where we can reflect on where we are. 

17 hours ago, The Lad said:

really?, why? the last time we played we ended up with broken bones. I agree that we should create ties with them but off the field. We are entering a tough season and i don't think injuries are what we need. I hope we  have a relationship with them they are one of the best conference teams out there but matches between them and us have an undertone on both sides and its not something we need. Also would a team only one league down  like Hunslet R.L.F.C. or Newcastle Thunder be better, so we could asses were we where, we have  Warrington, oldham wouldn't it be better to have a team form league 1  to give us a game where we can reflect on where we are. 

I've suggested to the coach that our lads play with mattres's on their backs and headguards, that should solve your problem.

Whilst over Christmas I've been thinking about the cup competition you have with Mayfield, and I hope you don't mind me throwing this into the ring, in 2020 why don't the comp be thrown open to Oldham Swinton st Annes and Saddleworth as they are all former clubs and thus having a truly fitting competition and pre season games 

On 12/27/2018 at 5:20 PM, clifford said:

Whilst over Christmas I've been thinking about the cup competition you have with Mayfield, and I hope you don't mind me throwing this into the ring, in 2020 why don't the comp be thrown open to Oldham Swinton st Annes and Saddleworth as they are all former clubs and thus having a truly fitting competition and pre season games 

Don't suppose any team would want to give to much away pre season Clifford.

Not sure about that mate, we (strangely) are playing Newcastle pre season, possibly one of the main rivals in the division. Be good to have a kind of preseason Cup with the sides Clifford mentioned, wonder if a 9s comp would work, all played out in a day/weekend like the Wigan 7s used to be back in the day? 

Archived