Mayfield

The Lad

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:35 PM, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't think it's just me that are complaining about Mayfield. I follow their game in the Observer and they seem to play plenty of games a man down, sometimes It's two men. However it's not just Mayfield, other amateur clubs in the Challenge Club have come to Hornets thinking that it's ok to knock our heads off.

i remember one Yorkshire amateur team coming to Hornets who had a big fat lad who came on as a forward sub. He was 3rd or 4 th man in every tackle and every time it was a sly punch.

Eventually the big fat lad decided to take the ball up. Damian Ball caught him in the ribs with a perfect tackle. It took the big lad a while to get up after that. I don't recall him doing much afterwards.

Your ignorance astounds me. When the game takes place in January I think that you will find that Mayfield are significantly smaller physically than Hornets. Unlike you I actually watch both clubs and can make an informed comment. If the Rochdale Observer is your source of information then you are clearly misinformed.

You obviously totally hate Mayfield who in my opinion are far better run than Hornets. Own their ground and have money in the bank.

Which is more than can be said of Hornets. 

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

14 minutes ago, Big Doug said:

Your ignorance astounds me. When the game takes place in January I think that you will find that Mayfield are significantly smaller physically than Hornets. Unlike you I actually watch both clubs and can make an informed comment. If the Rochdale Observer is your source of information then you are clearly misinformed.

You obviously totally hate Mayfield who in my opinion are far better run than Hornets. Own their ground and have money in the bank.

Which is more than can be said of Hornets. 

The " Observer " reports might not be to your liking Doug but the reporters can usually count up to 13.

1 hour ago, roughyed34 said:

Not sure about that mate, we (strangely) are playing Newcastle pre season, possibly one of the main rivals in the division. Be good to have a kind of preseason Cup with the sides Clifford mentioned, wonder if a 9s comp would work, all played out in a day/weekend like the Wigan 7s used to be back in the day? 

I did think about that, but you would want to give a man garty full maximum exposure, for his family and the charity that was set up in his memory, I was lucky enough to play with garty as a youngster at rangers and open age, he was a friend and I truly wish he was still here 

• 2 weeks later...

Reported that our defence was soundly tested today by a very determined Mayfield attack to secure our 18-12 win.

Look forward to reading of our performance generally, stand-out individuals and pointers to take on Oldham next week and beyond.

Hope that everyone (inc. the Coach!) enjoyed the occasion and that there was a good turn-out.

Mayfield will be more pleased with that performance than Hornets. It was a pretty disjointed and scrappy performance with nobody really catching the eye.

We started by knocking on from the kick off and that set the tone for most of the game. Hornets only showed their class in short bursts and didn't really respect what bits of possession they had. The conditions were ok at the start of the game but as the second half wore on the rain came down and the ball became greasy.

We'll have to be 100% better next week or we'll really struggle.

46 minutes ago, excolt said:

I thought the backs went well playing behind a beaten pack which is worrying. 

Yeah we didn't have anything like enough go forward.

That's not to take anything away from Mayfield. They could easily have got a draw at the end of the game. They played really well with tons of enthusiasm. Their kicking game was better than ours and they were still going strong at 80 minutes.

If they can play like that in their league they'll go well. 

19 minutes ago, Big Doug said:

Why was the game switched from Spotland to Mayfield at the last minute.

Sockets for the posts knackered and have been since September - no action taken to sort it, unable to put posts up = no game 

Huge well done to Mayfield for accommodating the game at 11th hour 

In my opinion the 2 best players on the pitch were playing for Mayfield, 11 and 8 (Callum Marriot and Jimmy Connaughton?) Marriot looks real quality I’d be surprised if he hadn’t been asked upto a pro club already. The young prop needs to be if he hasn’t already 

2 hours ago, Heywood Tiger said:

In my opinion the 2 best players on the pitch were playing for Mayfield, 11 and 8 (Callum Marriot and Jimmy Connaughton?) Marriot looks real quality I’d be surprised if he hadn’t been asked upto a pro club already. The young prop needs to be if he hasn’t already 

Callum was signing for hornets if the right man was given the job along with fellow Rochdale lads - Mike Ratu, Paul Brearley, Matty Ashton, Joe Tiara etc

I  paid my tenner in and a pound for the "this is Rochdale" and enjoyed the game.I agree that callum and james were the best 2 forwards on the pitch and zak hartley was the best back on the pitch. If I was Carl Forster I would be ringing these guys today and asking them about their availability for the 2019 season ?

12 hours ago, Gavinr said:

Callum was signing for hornets if the right man was given the job along with fellow Rochdale lads - Mike Ratu, Paul Brearley, Matty Ashton, Joe Tiara etc

Once you start letting the players chose the coach you're on a very slippery slope. At the end of a long selection process the " right man " was selected as far as I can see.

On 1/12/2019 at 6:11 PM, Gavinr said:

Hornets in for a long hard season based on that performance 

http://fevblog452.blogspot.com/2019/01/fevnuts-musings-2019-3-reality-check.html

Hunslet Club Parkside beat a scratch Featherstone side at the weekend and the above musings have some resonance.

Without taking anything from a reported very competitive Mayfield,  this was the first game of a much changed Hornets with many players new to the team.  The next two games will be better pointers, especially Sunday (!), and then hopefully we shall be firing on most cylinders for the crucial first home game.  

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:48 AM, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Once you start letting the players chose the coach you're on a very slippery slope. At the end of a long selection process the " right man " was selected as far as I can see.

Results driven business like all sport - only time will tell on that one - lets hope so. I cant see many more lean years being sustainable. Being the "right man" via an interview process is only part of the picture - the vision then needs delivering.

I'm not sure I could see Frank Myler, Steve Gibson, Bobbie Goulding, Charlie Birdsall, Martin Hall or many others being part of a "long selection" process.

I noted one stand out forward on Saturday and I know where my priorities as a coach would have been this week.

As you say faith in the process - agreed.

59 minutes ago, glemiln said:

http://fevblog452.blogspot.com/2019/01/fevnuts-musings-2019-3-reality-check.html

Hunslet Club Parkside beat a scratch Featherstone side at the weekend and the above musings have some resonance.

Without taking anything from a reported very competitive Mayfield,  this was the first game of a much changed Hornets with many players new to the team.  The next two games will be better pointers, especially Sunday (!), and then hopefully we shall be firing on most cylinders for the crucial first home game.  

That's the big issue for me. Starting out every season with nearly all of the first choice 13 new to the club and each other is not the greatest way to have a successful team. We are where we are though. I would imagine Foster will make a difference in the forwards.

5 hours ago, glemiln said:

Fev played reserves - I read the report and Paul March was happy with the effort from the kids 

Archived