TWP cut from Premier

4 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

There were numerous threads and entries on this topic posted in the forum last year/last season....many made comment, some positive some negative.   You can go back and look if you like....its all on the record.

I think it would be impossible to find a post with anybody not wanting one Championship game per week live on tv as you claim. 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can’t help but admire the way any news around TWP gets people talking.  They say any publicity is good publicity.  Didn’t they also air their games on Canadian tv?

Just as big a loss is the Champs - if true - as they don’t really have anything else (other than Toulouse on various streams).  The top 5 or 6 gave an impressive finish to the season which, for competitiveness alone, was fantastic.

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think it would be impossible to find a post with anybody not wanting one Championship game per week live on tv as you claim. 

I never claimed that so don't try to put words in my mouth.  I simply stated that there would be some that would take solace in the Premier announcement....stick to the facts.  Try not to be so argumentative.

As far as myself I'm on the record as wanting ALL of the Championship games to be televised, somewhere by someone!

Using your logic it could be surmised that you are for only ONE game a week....but that would be disingenuous of me to leap to that conclusion.  GET IT TOGETHER MAN!

31 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

there should be at least one Championship game televised per week...I think it is crucial for the development and promotion of the game.   There are some who feel differently though...

9 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I never claimed that so don't try to put words in my mouth.

Highlighted the bit where you said exactly that for clarification. 

You may not have meant it that way, but you said it, so don't be surprised when people disagree with your clumsy wording.

All good, we are on the same page, apart from the victim mentality.

26 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Just as big a loss is the Champs - if true - as they don’t really have anything else (other than Toulouse on various streams).  The top 5 or 6 gave an impressive finish to the season which, for competitiveness alone, was fantastic.

The Championship wasn’t televised except for the Summer Bash, which was on Sky, so it’s not a loss at all

rldfsignature.jpg

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Highlighted the bit where you said exactly that for clarification. 

You may not have meant it that way, but you said it, so don't be surprised when people disagree with your clumsy wording.

All good, we are on the same page, apart from the victim mentality.

Well I'm so glad you are keeping everything in analytical and numeric order...you must be a very linear person...everything in its proper place and such: no divergence from the orderly and true path will be tolerated!  Who was it that said something to the effect that I came to a fork in the path or something to that effect...oh none of that nonsense poetry, this is a Rugby League forum!. 

And Thank You, once again,  for telling me  what I meant and how I meant it...very helpful indeed!

And the part about not admitting your misinterpretation of my clear statement, I'll accept that since it is the festive season and I'm in  a forgiving mood.

I'm very sorry that you have a victim mentality...possibly a nice vacation in the tropics would help...just saying is all.

You gotta lighten up a bit Man!

40 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Well I'm so glad you are keeping everything in analytical and numeric order...you must be a very linear person...everything in its proper place and such: no divergence from the orderly and true path will be tolerated!  Who was it that said something to the effect that I came to a fork in the path or something to that effect...oh none of that nonsense poetry, this is a Rugby League forum!. 

And Thank You, once again,  for telling me  what I meant and how I meant it...very helpful indeed!

And the part about not admitting your misinterpretation of my clear statement, I'll accept that since it is the festive season and I'm in  a forgiving mood.

I'm very sorry that you have a victim mentality...possibly a nice vacation in the tropics would help...just saying is all.

You gotta lighten up a bit Man!

Fine. 

Edit. Not worth it.

3 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

Let's all play nicely and agree: Less RL on TV = Bad.  More RL on any medium = Good. 

I think it would be hard to find somebody who doesn't agree with that. These threads are packed with people wanting more SL, more Championships, games on terrestrial. It is an extremely rare view for fans not to want more games on tv. 

One I have never witnessed in fact.

18 minutes ago, Michael1812 said:

Does this means the U.K. matches won’t be shown on TV in Canada? This would be terrible for the Wolfpack. Maybe they will be broadcasted by someone else or recorded in the U.K. for foreign consumption. 

Sky broadcasted games have traditionally been put on Sportsnet World along with the NRL games.  Not sure if that’s going up in price next year though, was $20 a month on Bell last year.

17 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

There is a pretty common theme among some fans that having games on tv damages attendances and in and of itself is no real benefit for clubs. Especially at lower league levels. There are arguments made that championship clubs would lose out by having games on TV and they should instead focus on a highlights program instead.

There is of course on the other hand bewilderment for some that broadcasters arent desperate to spend tens of millions on league 1 to show games but i think its wrong to say that there arent arguments against broadcasting. Look at the comments regarding games being played on Thursdays or the arguments made by some about Bradfords streaming.

Its balance between increased brand reach (sponsorship) and the hit on attendance.

Rugby League being one of the first British TV sports has had this debate for a while.

The issue now is with less coverage in the press and the death of the newspaper.  You need to find ways to reach an audience in an increasingly crowded leisure market.

Thursdays are a disaster because they destroy any model you can have for season ticket selling.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I think it would be hard to find somebody who doesn't agree with that. These threads are packed with people wanting more SL, more Championships, games on terrestrial. It is an extremely rare view for fans not to want more games on tv. 

One I have never witnessed in fact.

So all that stuff last year by the fans of some clubs arguing about this scenario is wrong:

"If its on TV the people will stay in the pub or at home to watch instead.  They won't come down to the Park and buy a ticket since they can watch it at the pub or at home for free.  If its not on TV more people will come to the Park."

Are you saying you have never heard this argument before by a Rugby league fan??

7 hours ago, Kayakman said:

So all that stuff last year by the fans of some clubs arguing about this scenario is wrong:

"If its on TV the people will stay in the pub or at home to watch instead.  They won't come down to the Park and buy a ticket since they can watch it at the pub or at home for free.  If its not on TV more people will come to the Park."

Are you saying you have never heard this argument before by a Rugby league fan??

That is a different debate though. That is about levels of payment/compensation. I would love to see every SL game live each week, but not give the rights to Sky for free. They currently pay £40m per year for 2 to 3 games per week, I would argue strongly about them getting 6 games per week for £20m. That doesn't mean I don't want the games on tv.

Many of the arguments last year were around a club turning up with their own camera crew and commentary team at their ground.

8 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

There is a pretty common theme among some fans that having games on tv damages attendances and in and of itself is no real benefit for clubs. Especially at lower league levels. There are arguments made that championship clubs would lose out by having games on TV and they should instead focus on a highlights program instead.

There is of course on the other hand bewilderment for some that broadcasters arent desperate to spend tens of millions on league 1 to show games but i think its wrong to say that there arent arguments against broadcasting. Look at the comments regarding games being played on Thursdays or the arguments made by some about Bradfords streaming.

I think it is accepted that tv affects crowds. No issues with that, particularly when scheduling is factored in.

But fans would still prefer the choice. It's why Championship fans are pleading for more coverage, NRL fans are sad about Premier losing full coverage, and people wanting Sky Sports Rugby channel and more RL on that.

The complaints around England V France being on the app is another example. 

Fans want more tv coverage, that doesn't mean we should be commercially shafted to get there.

Just now, scotchy1 said:

Many championship fans are no doubt about it. Not all. I think it would be wrong to make the blanket statement that all fans want more coverage in all circumstance.

Personally I have no doubt that if the championship did get a tv deal it would create a lot of complaints because it's not going to be at the perfect time on the perfect channel and won't be worth a heap of cash

That is a different point. I'm trying to sell a property. If I don't get the right price, I won't be selling.

Wanting the right deal is completely different to not wanting the Championship on tv.

One of the biggest grumbles around is the fact Sky have the rights and don't show them.

12 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Me too Alan....hopefully there is an alternative plan....there should be at least one Championship game televised per week...I think it is crucial for the development and promotion of the game.   There are some who feel differently though and will take delight in the Premier announcement....sad, but true.

Totally agree, set in a programme schedule as Sky do for the SL where all the teams will get aired,  then obviously as the season progresses cherry pick the games with significance attached to them.

Regarding broadcasting of the Championship, it should be noteworthy that all the games next season (TWP games in Canada being the only exception) are all sceduled - I think - for Sunday Afternoons  or at least the overwhelming majority of them are, on a strictly personal view of this I intend as much as possible to attend all the games my team will be playing in, the games at both TWP and T.O. circumstances at the time will determine if I get to those.

The point is should a televised game from the championship (if we were to have one broadcast weekly) be scheduled for another timeslot, probably later on a Sunday evening, Saturdays have prooved not to be very good for ground attdendances?

Without question, the championship clubs need to entice every speccy they possibly can, televising a game at the same time when all the others are playing, could be a distraction they could do without.

7 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I don't think you can divorce the idea of wanting the lower leagues on tv and the realities of the consideration (I.e what is being exchanged) if they were to be on tv. 

Agreed, but the point I am making is that we don't have a backward set of fans who are arguing against being on the tellybox because it should be like the good old days where everyone meets for a quick pint and then watches the match while their missus cooks the dinner at home. It is getting a bit boring certain sections of the 'RL family' spreading this. It is becoming like the brexit debate. 

People want coverage, we see it many times a day here, it is on the SS Rugby thread, it is on many many Championship threads. You are right, the exchange is the bit being debated (i.e some clubs not being happy that Bradford turn up and just televise from your ground free of charge), or SL fans not being happy with Thursday night scheduling, or late changes - but ultimately, the desire at the top - for games to be televised is there. 

It would be me that some are claiming we shouldnt have live Championship matches on TV , and to a degree I still stick to that

Personally the priority should be a magazine highlights show featuring extended highlights of a Championship and a league 1 match with tries from the rest , this is something the clubs themselves should have initiated when licencing was introduced , the costs could have been minimal

Perhaps a ' made for TV ' competition along similar lines to the old floodlight trophy could supply live lower tier games , as long as Dave T suggested that whichever clubs are featured recieve realistic compensation , in fact I'd suggest a situation where entry to the televised match was free with the TV fee's covering what realistically the clubs could have sold , then allowing the clubs to go all out in providing the best possible image for the TV product

Would any TV production co be willing to fund something like that ? , probably not

8 hours ago, Kayakman said:

That is an argument made all the time , and it has some credence , how much is open to debate , you are right that regular televising , be that live or highlights is crucial to the development and promotion of the sport , its just how much and when ? sometimes having live televised matches can give a negative perception of the sport to the general public , that is something that has to be avoided at all costs , hence my preference initially for highlights

38 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It would be me that some are claiming we shouldnt have live Championship matches on TV , and to a degree I still stick to that

Personally the priority should be a magazine highlights show featuring extended highlights of a Championship and a league 1 match with tries from the rest , this is something the clubs themselves should have initiated when licencing was introduced , the costs could have been minimal

Perhaps a ' made for TV ' competition along similar lines to the old floodlight trophy could supply live lower tier games , as long as Dave T suggested that whichever clubs are featured recieve realistic compensation , in fact I'd suggest a situation where entry to the televised match was free with the TV fee's covering what realistically the clubs could have sold , then allowing the clubs to go all out in providing the best possible image for the TV product

Would any TV production co be willing to fund something like that ? , probably not

So if the conditions were right (i.e payments etc), you would be happy with more TV coverage?

Archived