TWP cut from Premier

To any of those who are supporters of those clubs in Championship 1, did the Our League streaming of their games last season effect attendances? Albeit being cast on that medium is not as straightforward as switching the TV on to view, only time will tell if live streaming is the way to go.

Judging by the few number of comments on this site in relation to the Aussie Schoolboys tour were all 5 games were streamed live and for free it does not seem to be very well recieved, considering we are all fans of this sport I should think that had those games been broadcast on the TV there would have been a very large TV audience. 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dave T said:

So if the conditions were right (i.e payments etc), you would be happy with more TV coverage?

But that TV coverage Gubrats speaks off, is a made for TV competition not the bread and butter league games, I would be in full agreement with his proposal, but as I said in a previous post, when would be the best time to schedule it.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

But that TV coverage Gubrats speaks off, is a made for TV competition not the bread and butter league games, I would be in full agreement with his proposal, but as I said in a previous post, when would be the best time to schedule it.

So if a provider wanted to broadcast the Championship and pay a reasonable rate for it, broadcasting at 3pm on a Saturday that'd be a no?

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

So if the conditions were right (i.e payments etc), you would be happy with more TV coverage?

As in everything dave , it comes down to the cash

As I put , my first priority would be a MOTD style highlights , the bulk of the footage is already produced by the clubs for their own use and for the RFL disciplinary

' Live ' broadcasting is very different IMO , that would require a not inconsiderable investement , live outside broadcasting of team sport isnt cheap , so if you going to do it , make sure it comes across in its best possible light , pointless wasting the production money to provide a negative image of the sport ,  ie sparce crowds and a poor atmosphere

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

So if a provider wanted to broadcast the Championship and pay a reasonable rate for it, broadcasting at 3pm on a Saturday that'd be a no?

Nobody would turn that down , depending on who's deciding ' reasonable '

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

As in everything dave , it comes down to the cash

As I put , my first priority would be a MOTD style highlights , the bulk of the footage is already produced by the clubs for their own use and for the RFL disciplinary

' Live ' broadcasting is very different IMO , that would require a not inconsiderable investement , live outside broadcasting of team sport isnt cheap , so if you going to do it , make sure it comes across in its best possible light , pointless wasting the production money to provide a negative image of the sport ,  ie sparce crowds and a poor atmosphere

Apart from SKY/BBC, most of the highlights coverage is rubbish, including the commentary.

The BBC match of the day coverage is very professional, including analysis slow mo, clever graphics etc.  EFL coverage is good quality as well.   Throw in the fact that it's Championship standard then no one is going to pay to produce a viable RL tv package that would be worthy of the game... And which tv station would make money out of it?

19 minutes ago, Dave T said:

How do you think the SL clubs would react to that kick off time ?

Just now, Rupert Prince said:

Apart from SKY/BBC, most of the highlights coverage is rubbish, including the commentary.

The BBC match of the day coverage is very professional, including analysis slow mo, clever graphics etc.  EFL coverage is good quality as well.   Throw in the fact that it's Championship standard then no one is going to pay to produce a viable RL tv package that would be worthy of the game... And which tv station would make money out of it?

I originally suggested this way back in the gloomy days of licencing , that the clubs should do it themselves , firstly going online , and hopefully as they progressed then maybe provide the content for a mainstream broadcaster , never said it would be easy , make money either for the clubs or the broadcaster ,

Essentially you've hit the nail on the head , the title of this thread is that TWP are no longer willing to PAY to have their games covered , so are we ever going to see ANY broadcaster be willing to PAY to broadcast live lower tier games ? , no

58 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

The problem is Dave that the conditions are based in reality. I'd love for l1 to get 10mil a year from a tv company for broadcast rights but it's unlikely to the the case.

What is a realistic expectation in terms of what money is paid to the lower leagues, when the games are played and how often they are televised etc probably won't be 'right'. 

There will be some sort of sacrifice and some won't believe it is worth it. I would disagree but they will make the argument.

Again, agreed, people will have different demands, and that is why we need to make sure the right people are making the decisions around the game, there needs to be a level of pragmatism and wider thinking.

19 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

A price that will never be offered IMO

Possibly right. But refusing to gift rights (or sell cheaply) is different to not wanting tv coverage. That is my whole point here. People are being portrayed as backward and not wanting TV coverage of our sport.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure why they would be concerned. It isn't a currently used regular SL slot.

Exactly , but nobody chooses to play then , maybe corporate isnt as good ? , maybe local football has an impact ?

My personal choice is a saturday , probably 6pm , but i'd happily go for 3

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Possibly right. But refusing to gift rights (or sell cheaply) is different to not wanting tv coverage. That is my whole point here. People are being portrayed as backward and not wanting TV coverage of our sport.

Which is why I suggested a for TV only comp , that is what we have when the Championship is on TV , a ' made for TV event ' , ie the ' Bash '

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yup, and that is my point. We all want more coverage, what we are prepared to 'sell' that for may differ.

You say we all want more ' coverage ' , do we ? , or do we want more money ?

If selling out the HJ every game meant you didnt need any games to be televised and the income that gave you , would you take it ?

Is having Batley v Dewsbury in front of 1,200 fans at MP a good TV advertisement for RL ? , Would Kevin  the Batley chairman rather have game played in front of 4,000 but not be on TV ?

What do we want from the Championship ?

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think it is accepted that tv affects crowds.

So your statement that you have never met a fan who doesn't want the televised games because they could affect crowd size in a negative way, for any reason, is incorrect then?....I think you looked in the mirror and started to argue with that very person you denied existed!

5 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

So your statement that you have never met a fan who doesn't want the televised games because they could affect crowd size in a negative way, for any reason, is incorrect then?....I think you looked in the mirror and started to argue with that very person you denied existed!

Most complaints from fans about TV coverage is the ability to get to the game when a game in being shown.  Thursday night RL I like to watch in the pub, but getting to the game is a bit of pain in the ass.  Also when it comes to the tail end of the season with short notice of changes rattles quite a few and a lot make arrangements to ensure they can attend, only to find out its moved date & time

That all said, the majority know that its a necessary evil as without the TV Coverage there'd be little money in the game

26 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

No, as has been highlighted here, the people still want tv coverage, they just want the payments that go with it, which should more than offset any negatives. It's quite simple.

I am happy to concede the point about not knowing anybody not wanting TV coverage, I didn't account for the couple of Leigh fans, although their message is confused as they have also stated they would want tv coverage with the money.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

You say we all want more ' coverage ' , do we ? , or do we want more money ?

If selling out the HJ every game meant you didnt need any games to be televised and the income that gave you , would you take it ?

No, not in the slightest.

Sport is a made for TV product as much as it is a live stadium product.

More people watch RL on TV that go to these games.

46 minutes ago, Spidey said:

aMost complaints from fans about TV coverage is the ability to get to the game when game in being shown.  Thursday night RL I like to watch in the pub, but getting to the game is a bit of pain in the ass.  Also when it comes to the tail end of the season with short notice of changes rattles quite a few and a lot make arrangements to ensure they can attend, only to find out its moved date & time

That all said, the majority know that its a necessary evil as without the TV Coverage there'd be little money in the game

Not neccessarily , Im sure when Leigh used to be on thursday nights the local pubs were full of ' fans ' unwilling to fork out the 16 quid to attend , but happy to watch in the pub for free

As I asked earlier , is it more coverage ? , or just more money , and if no coverage meant more money , would you take it ?

35 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If there was no sport on TV , would more attend games ?

36 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We are discussing lower tier sport here , if the sport being shown gives a poor impression of the sport at that level , is it a good idea to be on TV ?

Far too often assumptions are made without actually asking the right question in the 1 st place

Archived