TWP cut from Premier

52 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It means you havent a clue , so you suggest that clubs just go out there and find somebody , some company , that given a reasonable contract would without spending millions would be able to market a sports club to say increase its attendances and finances for a positive return

Okay, thanks. As insults go, it's rather tame.

And if you don't think that's a viable plan for ANY business, then I'm not the one who hasn't a clue. You have to spend money to make money.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Okay, thanks. As insults go, it's rather tame.

And if you don't think that's a viable plan for ANY business, then I'm not the one who hasn't a clue. You have to spend money to make money.

I dont do ' wild ' insults , but SPORT isnt just any business , land rover have exceptional brand loyalty , but that is nothing compared to supporting a sports club ,

As I put , you find a marketing company that would guarantee for a reasonable payment to increase a sports clubs attendances and finances without spending millions , or even spending millions for a positive return on investement , and the whole sport would be interested

Anyone who doesn't treat sports as a business is doomed to failure. It's part of the entertainment business, which lives and dies on promotion. Any sports club that can't afford a marketing/promotion department won't last long. And as I am not running such a business it's not up to me.

But to turn the tables on you, just what do YOU suggest clubs do to attract more interest and more fans? All you've done for several pages now is shoot down other people's ideas/suggestions without offering anything on your own.

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

Anyone who doesn't treat sports as a business is doomed to failure. It's part of the entertainment business, which lives and dies on promotion. Any sports club that can't afford a marketing/promotion department won't last long. And as I am not running such a business it's not up to me.

But to turn the tables on you, just what do YOU suggest clubs do to attract more interest and more fans? All you've done for several pages now is shoot down other people's ideas/suggestions without offering anything on your own.

I was on the board of Leigh centurions for 4 years , i definatly realise it is a business , but sports businesses are not like normal businesses , their off field performance is highly effected by their on field , sometimes effectively reducing their options of growth , they depend on both the actual and the percieved quality of the opposition

Now we agree on the marketing/promotion aspect that you refer to , I on the other boards have long advocated that the marketing budget should be allocated and ring fenced before the playing budget is even considered , believe me that has caused plenty or discussion and argument with my fellow fans , unfortunatly it isnt an opinion the club owners have ever considered either

So then your question , which is simply , what would I do if I had my requested budget ? , well quite simply I would be looking to get the whole towns age group of 8-10 year olds ' en masse ' into the stadium including parents , grand parents and siblings free of charge for one match , followed up with specific offers of deals [ be that free or discounted ] for them to attend further matches for essentially the next 4 years

I would look to achieve this by working with the schools via our community dept to have a schools RL festival culminating with the finals matches on the pitch at the LSV stadium

Plenty of other stuff to back this up depending on funds available

I also would look at providing discounted travel to fans of visiting clubs [ something I have achieved with success in the past ] not neccessarily to bolster the numbers , more a case of improving the matchday atmosphere , a sizeable and vocal away support is the ' norm ' at top tier matches in top tier sport , specifically football and derby matches in RL

From a whole competition point of view I've tried in the past to get clubs working together to improve income streams outside the actual match ' event ' unfortunatly without sucsses

31 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

What you are talking about may be true of an under-capitalised small professional sports club. Thats not necessarily the case for other clubs.

Its a completely different paradigm to Toronto.

You see it through the eyes of running a club with very limited funds, no real investment (as in the money put in to grow and improve the business expecting pay off down the line) a small fan-base etc etc etc. but that isnt universal.

Many huge competitions have little in the way of visiting fans, NA sports, often European sports (certainly continental competitions) south american sports away fans are much much smaller.

This is the big thing the game needs to learn. We don't need to copy football. Football is bigger and better than we could ever wish to be. Offering an inferior version will not lead to success. We don't need to do what we have always done. What we have always done hasnt worked, if we learn anything from it it is what not to do. We what we need to offer is something different. That means throwing away the paradigms of the past and creating new ones.

Couldnt care less what other sports do or dont do , and not copying football , quite simply a bigger attendance and more away fans does create a better atmosphere , many on here lament the lack of Bradfords visits to headingley and the reverse fixture , lower tier matches suffer much worse in this respect and therefore dont provide the ' important ' vibrant feel of something special , again young fans are usually more affected by a better atmosphere and a fuller stadium , Derby matches more often than not are most fans favourites for that reason

So yes different clubs need different approaches , but creating that ' feeling ' is primarily what separates the live experience compared to more sterile TV one , the better you make that , the more fans old and new will want to return to experience , all of course IMO

Gubrats, you'd be much easier to follow if you didn't resort to name calling to anyone who doesn't agree with you.

Your club tried promotions and failed. Why did they fail? As it is, it seems like you're just given up and are now jealous of any clubs and organizations that are on moving ahead, expanding the game into other areas.

11 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Gubrats, you'd be much easier to follow if you didn't resort to name calling to anyone who doesn't agree with you.

Your club tried promotions and failed. Why did they fail? As it is, it seems like you're just given up and are now jealous of any clubs and organizations that are on moving ahead, expanding the game into other areas.

Where did I call you for disagreeing with me ? , I asked you a direct question , you didnt give me your opinion , you just suggested I ask somebody else

We didnt fail , we did get promoted , we did however then get relegated , without finishing bottom of the regular SL season , we won some games against the best teams in the country but not enough to avoid the end of season play offs , we lost the MPG so deserved to go down , we knew the rules at the start , no argument against that

Who am I jealous of ?

The thread drifted from Toronto no longer being on premier to the pluses and minuses of lower tier broadcasting to how a club like Leigh should market itself , that happens on MBs

Archived