Sign in to follow this  
Futtocks

Confirmed: Wolfpack buy stake in Skolars

13 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Does sound a bit of plea from the Skolars, agreed.

League Weekly mentions something about Argyle being too busy with “corporate restructuring” in Canada to hand over what must be a trifling sum (for him).

Thats it,  just keep making things up...foolish people might believe you some of the time...the fake crowd counting ones.

48 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Why should it matter?  See that is the thing...you said its about context of the racist statement, but there are other things too that you  missed (that also clearly matter) like location.  If you missed something so obvious what else have you missed?

There must be more to it...I think that is what he is getting at.

That is what I meant when I posted earlier that Canada is further along in these regards than the UK...we have a thing called The Charter of Rights And Freedoms (most advanced Code in world).  Do you understand what I meant now?...time to raise our game in the paradigm fellas.

Did I miss location?

What is the location of a comment on the internet? Well, when you're entering an British-based message board, I'd suggest that the context of the situation is pretty clear.

You can pick offence from anything. That doesn't mean that the thing said it's offensive. You can make something that clearly isn't about race to be about race. That doesn't make it racist. But some things can only be in the context of race, like Argyle's comment. 

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

3 hours ago, Copa said:

The chief thing is really interesting. A quick google reveals “chief” is being removed from job titles in parts of Canada.

One interesting difference between Australia and the UK is the use of the word Pakis. In Australia we shorten words all the time and, in the cricket world, we have Windies, Kiwis, Poms and Pakis. “Pakis” is even sometimes used in cricket articles in the media. Some English cricket fans have started calling people in Australia racist because of it. As you know, in England, it’s quite an offensive term.

Apologies to anyone offended. No offence meant.

I was absolutely shocked when I moved over to Aus (about 13 years ago) and saw ‘Pakis’ in a cricket headline in a newspaper. Then I discovered it does not have the same connotation at all over here and it’s just the Aussies shortening words (as they like to do!!). It’s all to do with context I guess.

On a completely unrelated subject, I find it interesting that the general term ‘Asian’ usually refers to Indians/Pakistanis in the UK, but in Australia it’s more often Chinese/Japanese/Thai.

Anyway, moving on....

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Did I miss location?

What is the location of a comment on the internet? Well, when you're entering an British-based message board, I'd suggest that the context of the situation is pretty clear.

You can pick offence from anything. That doesn't mean that the thing said it's offensive. You can make something that clearly isn't about race to be about race. That doesn't make it racist. But some things can only be in the context of race, like Argyle's comment. 

I will have to spell it out for you.  The same words, verbatim, can be said in a different place and that changes context and perceptions of the listener.  For example, the quote here about what country you are in and perceptions over what East Asians are called....exact same word.  Similarly, a speech using a racist term has a totally different context if said alone by oneself in a wood as compared to a formal speech in front of a large audience.  These all change and warp context...not that hard to understand.

The perceptions and experiences of the listener all so can affect context...there are many other things.   You missed them all. 

1 hour ago, DiH68 said:

I was absolutely shocked when I moved over to Aus (about 13 years ago) and saw ‘Pakis’ in a cricket headline in a newspaper. Then I discovered it does not have the same connotation at all over here and it’s just the Aussies shortening words (as they like to do!!). It’s all to do with context I guess.

On a completely unrelated subject, I find it interesting that the general term ‘Asian’ usually refers to Indians/Pakistanis in the UK, but in Australia it’s more often Chinese/Japanese/Thai.

Anyway, moving on....

So being in a different geographic location DOES change/affect the context, even though the same phrase is used.  This fact should not be that hard to understand.

6 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

So being in a different geographic location DOES change/affect the context, even though the same phrase is used.  This fact should not be that hard to understand.

Absolutely it does. Although I find it hard to think of anywhere in the world where Argyle’s comment would have been deemed acceptable. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DiH68 said:

Absolutely it does. Although I find it hard to think of anywhere in the world where Argyle’s comment would have been deemed acceptable. 

Of course it does...I didn't realize that me saying it would cause such a stir...

30 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Of course it does...I didn't realize that me saying it would cause such a stir...

It’s an interesting topic. They relaunched an old Saturday night variety show here a few years ago called Hey Hey It’s Saturday, and someone in their wisdom thought it would be a good idea in the first episode to incorporate a skit they had done in the original show many years back - a blackface skit ?‍♀️. Needless to say it got noticed in the US and Aussies were called racist and told ‘how could you do that?’

But in their defense, Africans/Aftican Americans/Afro Caribbeans have never had much of a footprint in Australia so people here really were not aware how offensive this was.

This would have been OK if people had used it as a learning experience, a chance to grow and a chance to educate themselves on a whole different area of history so as not to cause offense in the future, but instead many just dug their heels in and said ‘yeah but this is Australia and it’s not offensive here’. 

Anyway, we digress... back to the Skokars...

• Like 1

After reading all this on here about whether a word is deemed offensive or not I would be terrified to promote the 2002 Australian football (and I mean proper football not the aerial ping-pong) biography of Johnny Warren. ???

5 hours ago, DiH68 said:

That confused me quite a bit initially... I was thinking “who is this fool? they’re no Asians here”. Then it dawned on me they were referring to Pakistanis/Indians. 

And lets not get onto “Wogs out of work”! ?

• Haha 1

Is this  discussion about whether Argyle is putting money into the Scholar's or is it one on racism? You guys in the UK seem obsessed with racism and it seems to be mentioned on every  item on these boards.Try giving it a rest.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, frank said:

You guys in the UK seem obsessed with racism and it seems to be mentioned on every  item on these boards.

The thread changes until the admin gets fed up and locks it or sends it to cross code oblivion.

As for racism, you always turn into the thing you hate most! It's a love hate thing .... we love to hate and like to pretend we don't.

So we'd love it and hate it if TWP owned Scholars in equal proportions and there's foreigners involved brings out the Alf Garnet in our psyche and culture. And judging by what Leonard Cohen said of Canadians we exported this to the colonies very successfully, There's no need to thank us if you're an indigenous people!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, frank said:

Is this  discussion about whether Argyle is putting money into the Scholar's or is it one on racism? You guys in the UK seem obsessed with racism and it seems to be mentioned on every  item on these boards.Try giving it a rest.

Be good to keep this thread on the original topic. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I will have to spell it out for you.  The same words, verbatim, can be said in a different place and that changes context and perceptions of the listener.  For example, the quote here about what country you are in and perceptions over what East Asians are called....exact same word.  Similarly, a speech using a racist term has a totally different context if said alone by oneself in a wood as compared to a formal speech in front of a large audience.  These all change and warp context...not that hard to understand.

The perceptions and experiences of the listener all so can affect context...there are many other things.   You missed them all. 

I have missed none of it. I am fully aware of all those things. I don't see what it has to do with the point that A) no matter what location Argyle was in, it's a comment based on race and a negative one at that; and B) your comparison to being called Chief on a British rugby league forum is not comparable as the context was not racial nor local enough for those norms to be assumed.

You can argue about the semantics of the word being perceived as racist or not in different quarters until the cows come home (I hope the term cow didn't offend anyone from different cultures in not aware of). But you are trying to compare a word with innocent connotations over here (but some negative ones where you're from) to a phrase that can only be taken as about race no matter where you are from.

He didn't not realise he was talking about race, did he? That's the difference and that's why it's not comparable. 

To compare being called Chief on a British rugby league forum to being asked if they allow black people in Swinton is at best stupid and at worst disingenuous.

1 hour ago, EssexRL said:

I'm done with it now, I apologise for continuing it on.

Hope you guys get all the extra investment promised to add to your success so far this season. 

With rumours about the future of League 1, this may be vital.

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

People should be offended for other people. Racism, sexism and homophobia etc should offend us all. 

Sorry, I simplified too much. I meant more in terms of find offence for other people where there is no offence. 

The politically correct "you can't say that, it might offend them" type (who actually end up being just as offensive by assuming it to be offensive and making a fuss about it).

Anyway, no more from me. PM me for further discussion on this if prior feel necessary. I'm sure we've all had enough though!

1 hour ago, EssexRL said:

8 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I'm done with it now, I apologise for continuing it on.

Hope you guys get all the extra investment promised to add to your success so far this season. 

With rumours about the future of League 1, this may be vital.

Just to add to that point, with the rumours of 14 SL and 16 Championship clubs after 2021, do Skolars fit in to the 30 here? Currently there are 37 clubs with Ottawa and NYC to join. This recent surge and hopefully investment could be coming at just the right time for them.

3 hours ago, EssexRL said:

I agree. There are other threads where the racism topic is discussed. Hopefully the investment will still happen as planned. Any additional finance going to clubs should be welcomed.

3 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Just to add to that point, with the rumours of 14 SL and 16 Championship clubs after 2021, do Skolars fit in to the 30 here? Currently there are 37 clubs with Ottawa and NYC to join. This recent surge and hopefully investment could be coming at just the right time for them.

No guarantee but the business plan is to get us promoted over next two seasons 

TWP seem very good with words and shout them very loudly so that we all hear.  Sadly, and not for the first time, the actions in the background bear no resemblance to the words

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Here we go again .....

3 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I have missed none of it. I am fully aware of all those things. I don't see what it has to do with the point that A) no matter what location Argyle was in, it's a comment based on race and a negative one at that; and B) your comparison to being called Chief on a British rugby league forum is not comparable as the context was not racial nor local enough for those norms to be assumed.

You can argue about the semantics of the word being perceived as racist or not in different quarters until the cows come home (I hope the term cow didn't offend anyone from different cultures in not aware of). But you are trying to compare a word with innocent connotations over here (but some negative ones where you're from) to a phrase that can only be taken as about race no matter where you are from.

He didn't not realise he was talking about race, did he? That's the difference and that's why it's not comparable. 

To compare being called Chief on a British rugby league forum to being asked if they allow black people in Swinton is at best stupid and at worst disingenuous.

Full of false assumptions, glaring misconceptions and overt bias...sounds like I hit a little to close to the mark.  The man he doth protest too much...I will leave it at that.

8 minutes ago, DemonUK said:

TWP seem very good with words and shout them very loudly so that we all hear.  Sadly, and not for the first time, the actions in the background bear no resemblance to the words

Give examples.

• Like 3

On 10/06/2019 at 00:06, Kayakman said:

Don't call me 'Chief' thats a racist comment and just as bad, if not worse, than what Argyle said (Do you not hold yourself to his same standard; one which you critique?).   Don't make me have to report you to Parky for racism....

Visa smizza...you gotta quit worrying about this type of stuff and just relax watching the Wolfpack games....I would imagine they would let Aussies in Swinton...the bars have got to make money somehow.

intersting does that racist comment apply  to toronto police CHIEF mark saunders or toronto fire  CHIEF mathew pegg  regarding wolfpack buy stake in skolars lets look at the bigger picture toronto and argyle sponsor FEV lions

6 hours ago, Oxford said:

The thread changes until the admin gets fed up and locks it or sends it to cross code oblivion.

As for racism, you always turn into the thing you hate most! It's a love hate thing .... we love to hate and like to pretend we don't.

So we'd love it and hate it if TWP owned Scholars in equal proportions and there's foreigners involved brings out the Alf Garnet in our psyche and culture. And judging by what Leonard Cohen said of Canadians we exported this to the colonies very successfully, There's no need to thank us if you're an indigenous people!

Skolars

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DemonUK said:

what evidence do you have for that. DA & TW definitely hand on heart can say hes literally put his money where his mouth is

• Like 4