Rugby League in the summer

Gosman

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

To give SKY something to show through the summer when soccer wasn't on and to line up with the NRL.

There was already a strong movement to switch to summer anyway. IIRC Gary Hetherington (then at Sheffield) was a vocal advocate.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

In 'winter' we didn't have games in June, July and August. Now we don't have games in November (unless there are internationals), December and January. Having stood on the terraces at places like Odsal, Watersheddings, Hilton Park, Alt Park, McLaren Field etc, etc in those winter months,  I know when I would rather watch rugby. 

As a younger fan, I don’t really have any memories of winter rugby to compare but I infinitely prefer a summer season. Better weather, less clashing with the football season, fewer games postponed.

The only argument I can see for a winter season is to avoid summer holidays. Perhaps for a lot of people it’s nostalgia, or maybe i’m missing something.

12 hours ago, Gosman said:

What was the reason for the top level competition for Rugby League in the Northern Hemisphere going to a summer season?

Because Lance Todd thought it was a good idea. Clearing the snow off the Willows pitch can do that to you!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

16 hours ago, Gosman said:

What was the reason for the top level competition for Rugby League in the Northern Hemisphere going to a summer season?

Was this justified in retrospect?

I think the quoted reason was to avoid the mudbath and/or frozen winters which would amongst other things encourage more attractive games.  My memory was that the hope would be that there would be more end of season games against Aussie clubs.

To me this was logical and sensible. The downside has been that there are no Tours now within the season.  Because of the need to have internationals (if we have any!) at the end of the season ... including travel ... this seems to have pushed the start of the season earlier where as February was clear. 

SL should play fewer games and December January and February should be clear and the league structure should be finished by the end of September.

I suppose if we went back to winter, there would probably have to be a mid winter break (January?), with the close season being July and August  (?).

6 minutes ago, thepimp007 said:

Pro game definitely not. Amateur game there is a valid argument

Agree. Both RL and cricket have seen reduced participation, one reason possibly being that it's now difficult to play both.

2 minutes ago, John Fisher said:

Agree. Both RL and cricket have seen reduced participation, one reason possibly being that it's now difficult to play both.

Thats a big point especially in Bradford there did used to be a bit of a crossover with the Bradford league being fairly strong

16 minutes ago, John Fisher said:

Participation in 11-a-side football has also declined. Could it be that people just don't play as much sport as they used to?

Giving up the Xmas/New Year slots has been the biggest negative I think.

The drop in gates in August exceeds the traditional pre Xmas dip.

The chill of Feburuary n March in the old days had the excitment of the CC to encourage which the early rounds of the new season doesnt have.

Winners and losers in the switch to summer,spent many a winter's Sunday afternoon at derwent park from the late 70s,habit forming and with no other competition back then,nowadays may to August free weekends are spent fell walking or with family holidays.Times change,preferably for me Saturday evenings would work but decisions need to be made for the majority not individuals 

1 hour ago, Colin James said:

Participation in 11-a-side football has also declined. Could it be that people just don't play as much sport as they used to?

Definitely a factor. Again in Bradford its massive the amount of teams, but there have been some big sides who have folded. Technology has a lot to answer for, it is the biggest change that has come about over the last 10-15 years especially for the younger end.

When we were kids we saw the open age guys at the club having beers after training and doing stuff together. When we went onto open age we took the mantle at the club until late after Thursday training everyone together. Nowadays players barely get showered let alone stay for a beer. The whole dynamic has changed and I can't see a way of it changing

6 hours ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

Reading through the fore going, its obvious that the round ball fans are of a far hardier nature than those of rugby league!

There are more of them.

But a quick look over most leagues - it's really noticeable in non league - will show lower crowds when it rains than when it doesn't and much lower crowds for winter mid-week versus Saturday afternoon.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The reason was money, the game was broke, then the super league/nrl war broke out players were having money thrown at them, I remember Martin Hall signing a NRL contract and never going. 

Two media giants going to war over TV rights in oz. 

Do I miss standing on sheddings in the snow and cold, not really, do I miss playing in the winter sometimes but I miss playing full stop. 

Do I think that it is good overall yes, downside is Mr Hemmings on sky, not very impartial 

1 hour ago, clifford said:

The reason was money, the game was broke, then the super league/nrl war broke out players were having money thrown at them, I remember Martin Hall signing a NRL contract and never going. 

Two media giants going to war over TV rights in oz. 

Do I miss standing on sheddings in the snow and cold, not really, do I miss playing in the winter sometimes but I miss playing full stop. 

Do I think that it is good overall yes, downside is Mr Hemmings on sky, not very impartial 

I can see the advantages and disadvantages of summer and spectator wise it's down to the individual as to how it fits with their life but it should be a easier sell in the warmer month's. I recall that one of the benefits put forward at the time was how it would be easier to get media coverage in summer not being up against soccer and RU, that went well didn't it even in the first few years after the change it didn't improve much, now Soccer's 12 months a year and probably accounts for75% of sports coverage, newspapers are dying a slow, painful death and forms of communication never envisaged back in 1995 have taken over and RL generally as been slow to engage with them and so is even further down the line trying to stay relevant and attract attention for the right reasons, we've no difficulty getting it for the wrong reasons, funny that!

Archived