1895 Cup details announced

Mr Plow

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im not against the idea, will be nice for Clubs like Fev, Batley, Dewsbury etc.. to go back to Wembley like they used to. 

But it is a bit if a joke that the two best teams in the Championship Toronto and Tolouse won't be competing. Makes a second rate comp a little more second rate.

3 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Im not against the idea, will be nice for Clubs like Fev, Batley, Dewsbury etc.. to go back to Wembley like they used to. 

But it is a bit if a joke that the two best teams in the Championship Toronto and Tolouse won't be competing. Makes a second rate comp a little more second rate.

Yeah, I wonder if the RFL have asked them for an entry fee though like they have done for the CC

7 minutes ago, The Lad said:

It also seems funny that the league 1 teams are fine with the idea, they had the ipro cup only a few years ago and complained that there where to many games.

That was when they had the super 8s tbf and the teams who complained about it were the one who were knocked out first 

28 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Now supposing, right, just supposing and we are talking about probabilities versus possibilities, that the draw in the challenge cup is such that a team eligible for the 1895 cup reaches both finals? .....

Yep , thats what I put when it was originally anounced , be the first time ever that a Championship club reaches the Cup semi's

Be interesting to see how Widnes , if they are near the top of the Championship react to playing a midweek game and an extra game leading up to the Qualifyers ?

A lower league that has teams in London, Toulouse, Toronto, Wrexham, Coventry and Llanelli and only one of those six sides will enter this. That’s if they get a team together, that is. 

A sad indictment on Rugby League and some of its stakeholders that they think a competition with only some of its representatives that is likely to be played in midweek is a good idea. Surely it’ll be loss making for many?

It seems an idea without a plan and it’s been implemented and improvised from the get go. It could be so much more than it inevitably is going to be, the old Northern Rail Finals were great entertainment for example, but it’s just going to be nothing of the sort, I fear. 

The “some of Yorkshire but not those we didn’t invite” Cup interests me. It seems clubs want a higher intensity in pre-season and have invented their own cup. Done properly, a lower-league cup could have provided that for all, rather than just some, in pre-season, with games in the later rounds stretching into the season, with appropriate gaps in the season for such competition. 

24 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Beforehand I'd probably go , afterwards ? , probably not

Interesting to see how many people change their Wembley routine for this. Unless it is tearing it down (I've only just dried out after that Wigan v Hull final in 2013) I prefer to stay outside the stadium - where the beer/food is cheaper and the choice is wider  - and just make sure I get to my seat in time for Abide With Me.

Can't imagine having a game on before hand will change that routine for me (and I definitely wouldn't stay after the big match), although of course I'm sure thousands would make the effort.

2 minutes ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Interesting to see how many people change their Wembley routine for this. Unless it is tearing it down (I've only just dried out after that Wigan v Hull final in 2013) I prefer to stay outside the stadium - where the beer/food is cheaper and the choice is wider  - and just make sure I get to my seat in time for Abide With Me.

Can't imagine having a game on before hand will change that routine for me, although of course I'm sure thousands would make the effort.

i wouldnt be that sure

If you wait for perfection, you'll wait forever.

As it is, two of these teams who haven't a cat in hell's chance of reaching the Challenge Cup final itself will be playing at Wembley in 2019:

Doncaster, Hunslet, Keighley Cougars, Newcastle Thunder, Oldham, West Wales Raiders, Whitehaven, Workington Town, Barrow Raiders, Batley Bulldogs, Bradford Bulls, Dewsbury Rams, Featherstone Rovers, Halifax, Leigh Centurions, Rochdale Hornets, Sheffield Eagles, Swinton Lions, Widnes Vikings, York City Knights.

I think that's pretty exciting on its own merits.

29 minutes ago, John Drake said:

If you wait for perfection, you'll wait forever.

As it is, two of these teams who haven't a cat in hell's chance of reaching the Challenge Cup final itself will be playing at Wembley in 2019:

Doncaster, Hunslet, Keighley Cougars, Newcastle Thunder, Oldham, West Wales Raiders, Whitehaven, Workington Town, Barrow Raiders, Batley Bulldogs, Bradford Bulls, Dewsbury Rams, Featherstone Rovers, Halifax, Leigh Centurions, Rochdale Hornets, Sheffield Eagles, Swinton Lions, Widnes Vikings, York City Knights.

I think that's pretty exciting on its own merits.

If Leigh make it John , I'll think about going , If Wigan make the ' big ' final , I'll stay at home

Archived