Tonga feel ripped off by NRL despite filling Mount Smart.

Typical. The NRL walk over the NZRL on a cash grab and now the Tongans expect a return they didn’t negotiate on a contract they don’t have, in a country neither country cared about when jumping on a band wagon.

tonga is one of the most corrupt countries in the world. The Kangaroos made the cash grab, the whole thing was corrupt from the start, but most seemed happy that the Tongans playing a home game in Auckland was good for the game. 

If the Nrl cared, they would take the loss and play in Tonga, but no, they chose to break the Kiwis. They are doing it again with a Maori team.

The Tongans whinging afterwards is typical. Race card, evil empire, all the stuff that doesn’t admit they signed a bum deal for themselves, in a country that is not theirs, too grow a game in a country that isn’t their own either.

i have massive admiration for the blokes who stepped out to play for Tonga, and if any governing body followed their example, the game would have been in Tonga or Oz.

29 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

No surprise there sadly, the NRL clearly took advantage of the Tongans weak negotiating position.

On the plus side, the $1 million profit does show how much of a viable commercial entity the Mate Ma’a are and how it should lead to further international opportunities. Let’s hope the RLIF provide them with such. 

Slightly more concerning is the loss the Kiwis made in their own country but they were at their lowest ebb then so hopefully they can address this and gain greater support moving forwards. Having matches scheduled and tickets for sale in advance would help but still nothing for 2019. Some Kiwi children might have liked a ticket vs England/GB for Xmas...........clearly that’s too much to expect 

What's stopping Tonga inviting any of the big 3 nations to a match in Auckland net year and splitting the revenue 50-50?

And why do they always stoop to blaming it on racism?  Every team in the southern hemisphere is full of polynesian players, I don't see how racism could be a factor here.  They used the race card also when the Fifita try was disallowed too. 

9 minutes ago, langpark said:

What's stopping Tonga inviting any of the big 3 nations to a match in Auckland net year and splitting the revenue 50-50?

And why do they always stoop to blaming it on racism?  Every team in the southern hemisphere is full of polynesian players, I don't see how racism could be a factor here.  They used the race card also when the Fifita try was disallowed too. 

Since when was Auckland in Tonga?

Just now, deluded pom? said:

Since when did langpark say it was?

It's implied by him saying, " What's stopping Tonga inviting any of the big 3 nations to a match in Auckland".  Since when does a national governing body of a sport have any right to just stage a match in another country without consulting its governing body?

18 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

It's implied by him saying, " What's stopping Tonga inviting any of the big 3 nations to a match in Auckland".  Since when does a national governing body of a sport have any right to just stage a match in another country without consulting its governing body?

Must be a slow news day if you felt the need to nitpick that comment.

To all who are saying 'why don't they play in Tonga', it's cause they can't play in Tonga cause Tonga simply doesn't have the facilities to host a match.

At the best of times Teufaiva Sport Stadium is a shambles that isn't fit for a bush footy team, but after cyclone Gita earlier this year it's totally inoperable for the foreseeable future.

When talking about countries like Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, etc, you have to keep in mind that these are tiny, normally very poor, third world countries that have huge societal issues that are much more important than anything concerning footy.

BTW, that article is dodgy as all hell, unsourced leaked report with all sorts of claims, unwarranted (and frankly quite random) claims of racism, etc, etc, it's either as biased as hell or designed to create controversy where really there is none, my money would be on the latter.

48 minutes ago, Damien said:

More creative accounting and bs by the NRL. Hopefully Tonga and the other PI nations tell the NRL to get stuffed with the PI Tests and arrange their own as well as any end of season internationals.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how the PI nations would organise tests without The NRL. The unions of these nations do not appear to have the organisation, transparency or guaranteed funds to do so. 

I would rather see profits from the game go to the players and NRL led youth development in Tonga rather than given to the Tongan RL federation. 

Further almost all the talent Is contracted to The NRL so any match will have to be something they are tolerant of as other wise its difficult for the players. 

Lastly if OZ players are willing to take 5k rather then 20k for a appearance, it is going to be more likely we see more games like this. 

The NRL told 1 NEWS  it only made a "small profit" from the game but in a confidential independent analysis, obtained by 1 NEWS, it's estimated the match made around a million dollars after expenses.

In a statement, the NRL says many of its other international matches run at a loss including the mid-year Pacific tests, so when there’s a surplus like with Tonga this underwrites other international tournaments and events that don’t do so well.

But the leaked report also says the Tongans were treated in an unfair and likely underhand manner, warranting an inquiry.

I sent a message to 1 NEWS NZ asking if we could see this "leaked report" and "confidential independent analysis"

Maybe they'll get back to me tomorrow?

19 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Unfortunately I'm not sure how the PI nations would organise tests without The NRL. The unions of these nations do not appear to have the organisation, transparency or guaranteed funds to do so. 

I would rather see profits from the game go to the players and NRL led youth development in Tonga rather than given to the Tongan RL federation. 

Further almost all the talent Is contracted to The NRL so any match will have to be something they are tolerant of as other wise its difficult for the players. 

Lastly if OZ players are willing to take 5k rather then 20k for a appearance, it is going to be more likely we see more games like this. 

Just like other nations do. Even let the RLIF step up to the plate and organise them. It's really not that difficult. This all boils down to the NRL trying to control the international game for its own ends and not to benefit the game as a whole. 

The article lost credibility when after stating the Aussie players took a 75% pay cut and then revealing the Tongan players weren't far behind in pay (when normally there is a huge disparity), making that out as a negative. 

I don't know what was agreed to but had the game lost 500k, who would have covered the loss? The answer to that question may put this in a different light.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

51 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

How on earth do you lose 500k on a small time test match hosted at Mr Smart?

Because it's convenient for the NRL to say they did so and it suits their narrative. They also know that some gullible people will blindly believe everything the NRL say without any sort of critical thinking.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Because it's convenient for the NRL to say they did so and it suits their narrative. They also know that some gullible people will blindly believe everything the NRL say without any sort of critical thinking.

If you read the article it isn’t the NRL quoted as saying the NZ v Australia game lost $500,000. It’s a claim made by tvnz.

rldfsignature.jpg

3 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

If you read the article it isn’t the NRL quoted as saying the NZ v Australia game lost $500,000. It’s a claim made by tvnz.

I was quoting someone else if you'd read my post. I was also referring generally, the NRL have a narrative and agenda with every international match they put on and they always lose money on them, allegedly. Of course when it's a 28,000 odd sell out it's a little more difficult to say that so a small profit instead will suffice.

12 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

How on earth do you lose 500k on a small time test match hosted at Mr Smart?

The players, management and the medical staff for each team all need paying. There are flights, transfers and accommodation. The ground rental. I don’t know how much all that costs but $500k in NZD is roughly 250k in sterling. I could see the costs being somewhat over that but to make a loss of tha magnitude would mean a very poor attendance.

With anything like that, there is risk. Whoever underwrites that will expect to be the main beneficiary if it is a success. If Tonga couldn’t afford to carry the risk, then their lesser return will reflect that in the case of this successful event.

If Tonga in hindsight look at how the money was divided and want more, they  needed an agreement prior to the event to ensure they got a bigger payout. They would need to be prepared to shoulder the risk too in that case.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

5 hours ago, Damien said:

Just like other nations do. Even let the RLIF step up to the plate and organise them. It's really not that difficult. This all boils down to the NRL trying to control the international game for its own ends and not to benefit the game as a whole. 

You're overlooking the fact that only Australia, England, France (maybe) and New Zealand (maybe) can afford to organize their own matches without financial help from the RLIF and/or RLEF which in effect means Australia and England.  Beggars that the other countries' governing bodies are, they can't be choosers.

7 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

You're overlooking the fact that only Australia, England, France (maybe) and New Zealand (maybe) can afford to organize their own matches without financial help from the RLIF and/or RLEF which in effect means Australia and England.  Beggars that the other countries' governing bodies are, they can't be choosers.

I'm not overlooking anything and I did say even if the RLIF organise them, countries outside the ones you mention organise their own matches all of the time.

Karma! it's payback (or not as it were) for the disgusting way Tongan's made death threats to a RL referee, the way the King of Tonga did not step in to end it all when he had an opportunity to, nope, this weak ass fraud just sat on his throne and allowed his minions to make death threats to another human for having the temerity for making a correct decision in a sporting event. Tongan's even made threats to the children and family of the referee who all had to move away and completely leave his career!!

Did any Tongan players come out and tell their kin to put an end to it all, the coach, the Tongan RL, did they F@@@! 

Karma is a #####!

11 hours ago, Farmduck said:

I sent a message to 1 NEWS NZ asking if we could see this "leaked report" and "confidential independent analysis"

Maybe they'll get back to me tomorrow?

No response yet so I sent another message asking to see the "leaked report."

I also sent a message to Melino Maka, of the Tongan Advisory Council NZ, who was quoted in the 1 NEWS NZ report. Since his quote appears to be a reaction to the report, I asked if he could help me get a copy.

They are probably all busy, being Xmas Eve and all and given that it is past standard business hours now in NZ.

Archived