Tonga feel ripped off by NRL despite filling Mount Smart.

10 hours ago, Damien said:

I was quoting someone else if you'd read my post. I was also referring generally, the NRL have a narrative and agenda with every international match they put on and they always lose money on them, allegedly. Of course when it's a 28,000 odd sell out it's a little more difficult to say that so a small profit instead will suffice.

Wasn’t the. New Zealand v Australia game organised by the Kiwis or do Australia have to do that for them as well? I can only assume tvnz got their leaked info about the Trans Tasman game losing half a million dollars from a source at the NZRL, if it has any substance of course.

rldfsignature.jpg

Aussies in rugby league rip off scandal, who would have expected that. I am shocked.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

14 hours ago, Padge said:

Aussies in rugby league rip off scandal, who would have expected that. I am shocked.

You may want to post some actual facts before you endorse hearsay and rumour.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

13 minutes ago, Allora said:

You may want to post some actual facts before you endorse hearsay and rumour.

I know the ARL & NRL well enough thank you.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

What more does Tonga want? NZ offered to host the match, the Australians took a pay cut to play, and international RL wouldn't exist in the southern hemisphere if it weren't for the NRL. I bet the Tongans wouldn't have been lining up to cover costs if the game lost money. I wouldn't pass any profits on to the Tongans anyway, it would only line the pockets of royal family cronies or be spent at the Otahuhu KFC. 

12 hours ago, eal said:

What more does Tonga want? NZ offered to host the match, the Australians took a pay cut to play, and international RL wouldn't exist in the southern hemisphere if it weren't for the NRL. I bet the Tongans wouldn't have been lining up to cover costs if the game lost money. I wouldn't pass any profits on to the Tongans anyway, it would only line the pockets of royal family cronies or be spent at the Otahuhu KFC. 

All true. Tongan RL imo does not have much to complain about right now. They got a game against OZ in NZ. And the players got paid a OK sum to play. 

In terms of growing the game in Tonga itself I agree with others the NRL is the best vehicle for that. 

It is in the NRLs interest to develop talent from Polynesia directly as the wadges that would be appealing to a Young Man born in Tonga rather than Sydney would be likely to be lower, certainly on an Initial deal so it could be a way to keep down wadges particularly for positions such as wing and centre / second row.    Further, given the risks of playing RL RU NFL, it is likely long term that communities where there are better economic opportunities will be less likely to pursue a pro career.. Hence the poverty of opportunity in Polynesia on top of the phenomenal genetic talent and oval ball game culture makes this a place for ongoing development of players for The NRL. 

Archived