Predictions: Who Finishes Where in SL

OMEGA

Most clubs seem to have done 5heir transfer business, we’ve had the first pre season games and now we’re just a few weeks from the new SL season.

Who finishes where and if you want to elaborate you can add why.

1. St Helens - With Barber gone the emphasis is back on teamwork & the unfinished business having only won the LLS last year
  2. Warrington - Price to have a more growing influence on his players, improving them from last year
  3. Wakefield - Been knocking on the door for 3 years, quality added up front and at half back. They’ll sustain their Challenge better 
  4. Wigan - In the wake of losing Wane & Tomkins they’ll take time to settle under caretaker Lamb
  5. Castleford - Some of their best are showing their age & wear, Shelton/Millington while Webster leaves a hole
  6. Leeds - Refreshed by a new Coach & some quality additions but not quite the rebuild that’s required to get all the way back
  7. Huddersfield - Continuation of form under Woolford with Uate added to a superb three quarter line.
  8. Hull FC - No real additions and a reliance on some injury prone players but will be good enough often enough to make the 8
  9. Catalan - Better than last season by not being cast adrift but not quite good enough in a very tight mid table battle
  10. Hull KR - Big improvers in terms of performances but unlucky that the teams around them will be better too
  11. Salford - Another tough season, defied the odds for a while last year but they can’t sustain it as the season wears on
  12. London - Tough first year back and a step too far to get off the bottom, they’ll have their moments though

Everyone is giving Wakey a high finish, without considering that they benefited from poor form in the last 3 years of Wire, Hull, Hudds, Leeds and Catalan.

All these predictions are dependent on injuries but after finishing the season with 10/12 wins I'll take the Giants for a top 6 at least 

I think Wakey won't finish so high this season. I also don't think Leeds will make the top 6 yet either, but will be much improved. 

Hull will struggle again after promising much. Hull KR will also make a big noise but soon falter. But I think will out do FC 

Top 4 will be Wire, Saints and whoever else keeps the best injury record from Giants, Cas, Catalan, Wigan

19 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Most clubs seem to have done 5heir transfer business, we’ve had the first pre season games and now we’re just a few weeks from the new SL season.

Who finishes where and if you want to elaborate you can add why.

1. St Helens - With Barber gone the emphasis is back on teamwork & the unfinished business having only won the LLS last year
  2. Warrington - Price to have a more growing influence on his players, improving them from last year
  3. Wakefield - Been knocking on the door for 3 years, quality added up front and at half back. They’ll sustain their Challenge better 
  4. Wigan - In the wake of losing Wane & Tomkins they’ll take time to settle under caretaker Lamb
  5. Castleford - Some of their best are showing their age & wear, Shelton/Millington while Webster leaves a hole
  6. Leeds - Refreshed by a new Coach & some quality additions but not quite the rebuild that’s required to get all the way back
  7. Huddersfield - Continuation of form under Woolford with Uate added to a superb three quarter line.
  8. Hull FC - No real additions and a reliance on some injury prone players but will be good enough often enough to make the 8
  9. Catalan - Better than last season by not being cast adrift but not quite good enough in a very tight mid table battle
  10. Hull KR - Big improvers in terms of performances but unlucky that the teams around them will be better too
  11. Salford - Another tough season, defied the odds for a while last year but they can’t sustain it as the season wears on
  12. London - Tough first year back and a step too far to get off the bottom, they’ll have their moments though

Danny Brough will have a big impact on 2 sides hopes. Huddersfield shipping him out will make them a much more dangerous & consistent side. A talent, but a big negative impact on & off the pitch.

Giants will be sniffing top 5 this time & Wakefield will.pay the price. Also see Giants doing something in Challenge Cup.

Leeds, Saints, Wigan & Wire will.probably be top 4.

Cats could play a part if they have an injury & suspension free season. Top 6.

Cas & both Hull clubs to have ordinary seasons.

Londin will be in the fight with Salford & Wakefield to avoid bottom spot.

Having Jackson Hastings & Rob Liu in the halves should be the big thing that gets Salfiord out of trouble.

My prediction:

1. Wire (GF winners, cup winners, all round good guys)

2. Saints (bridesmaids)

3. Catalans (everyone's 2nd faves but not really)

4. Cas (legendarily classy but fall short)

5. Wakey (actually, really, this time they will be ace)

6. Hudds (everyone's actual 2nd team)

7. Pies ("rebuilding", whereas everyone hopes they are dismantling)

8. London - (fingers crossed for you folks)

9. Salford (meh)

10. Rervers (also rans)

11. FC (should prob swap with Pies but I've done it now)

12. Leeds (obviously)

If you go on form with reasonably fit sides from last season

Warrington

St Helens

Giants

Catalans

Wigan

Leeds

Castleford

Salford

Wakefield

Hull

KR

London

Brough will be frustrated in his own bulk and lack of speed - that’s been his problem all along - his mind thinks his body is still 25 and it isnt - if he settles in and accepts this he will be a far better player

Giants were close to being the form team last year and mostly with a patched up side - i do think a full pre season and the additions make them as good as they have beeen for some years - best backline in the league for me - and with less interchanges a great forward pack as well

Leeds May well surprise everyone first half of the season but if fitness doesnt improve from last year they wont

I really want London to rise but yes, a year or two early - TWP really do need to have aa good look in the mirror, a repeat of such a dire performance this year will see them fail - a lot of pressure there

KR just dont do it for me - flashes of brilliance but no consistency

FC - well, nuff said - could win everything if they could raise their game or end up relegated if they dont - everyone else bar London appear to have recruited really well, certainly enough to bury FC

Dark horses to win the lot? - Catalans - I am not a McNamara fan but he doesn’t have to be brilliant just consistently good at SL level with an NRL mindset - consistency again, watch for them bang out of the blocks - if they win their first handful of matches they will gain enough confidence and they have a big enough squad to do it all

Wigan, Cas, Salford Leeds - all pretty much mid table and that would be progress for all of themspecially Wigan who wont get full value from Lockers and the players they have lost now - very experimental season - i can see Edwards hand on lams shoulder and a real change in playing style and the type of player Wigan will focus on now -  Hardaker will shine for half a season then fade as the pressure gets to him - still needs a lot of work that lad - they could do well restricting his appearances this season

Cas - without more recruitment their moment has passed

Salford - if they had depth and some quality in that depth top 5 for me but they dont - as much as i admire Hastings as a person and a player he cant do it all and they wont lift when he isnt there

Saints - i seem to disagree with everyone here - when Barba was on fire so were they - when he wasn’t there they were good but not excellent - Walmsley back will give them some fire with Thompson up front but the other recruits are pretty much slight upgrades on what they had which wont be enough - bridesmaids again at best - and as much as i hate to say it they will miss Wilkin a lot - Wellen’s cant coach on the field like wilkin did because he isnt playing like wilkin was 

Warrington for me - Austin man of steel - wont win the LLS but CC and GF up for grabs - will take an excellent performance to take them out in both comps

Really excited for this season, most open in years, and fancy Warrington to finally break through if not another new name on the SL trophy - just feels like that kind of year

The championship looks very very tasty - TWP to win it but wont top the table  - agree Macs draw card is his ability to win big matches not league form - but it will not be an easy ride for anyone there and quite a few surprises i think - might even be Leigh in the final with Olly Russell behind what is shaping up to be a strong local forward pack there 

20 hours ago, Ant said:

Everyone is giving Wakey a high finish, without considering that they benefited from poor form in the last 3 years of Wire, Hull, Hudds, Leeds and Catalan.

In the past when people have spoken about Wakefield in terms that are anything less than openmouthed awe, the response from Wakefield fans has been swift, it's been brutal, and it's been in the form if an Olympic-sized tantrum.

Although these tantrums are hugely enjoyable, they don't necessarily portray the sport in a positive light, and so I suspect that, mindful of this, people are predicting a high finish for Wakefield, just to be on the safe side.

No one really giving Hull a chance at all. My only concern is injuries again. If we keep our key players mostly healthy then I think we will be in the playoffs for sure. Too much quality there to be as low as some are predicting, and there is a point to prove as well. 

21 hours ago, Ant said:

All these predictions are dependent on injuries but after finishing the season with 10/12 wins I'll take the Giants for a top 6 at least 

I think Wakey won't finish so high this season. I also don't think Leeds will make the top 6 yet either, but will be much improved. 

Hull will struggle again after promising much. Hull KR will also make a big noise but soon falter. But I think will out do FC 

Top 4 will be Wire, Saints and whoever else keeps the best injury record from Giants, Cas, Catalan, Wigan

Everyone? 

Hard to predict this season no stand out team and a few in transition, looking forward to it should be a good season. 

Up the Trin 

5 minutes ago, MZH said:

No one really giving Hull a chance at all. My only concern is injuries again. If we keep our key players mostly healthy then I think we will be in the playoffs for sure. Too much quality there to be as low as some are predicting, and there is a point to prove as well. 

Always good when nobody gives you a chance.

1 hour ago, MZH said:

Haha, yes. As you guys have proven in recent years. 

If Wakey win the LLS, Challenge Cup and the Grand Final next season it will only be due to the poor form of the other 11.  There will also be subsequent predictions (or wishes?) of doom and gloom for 2020.

Happy New (although never changing) Year everyone.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 Saints

2 Wire

3 Wigan

4 Cas

5 Leeds

6 Catalan

7 Hull

8 KR

9 Wakey

10 Hudds

11 London

12 Salford

Leeds to beat Wire in the Grand Final ?

Wakey's league form is disrupted by a cup winning run but they still finish one place ahead of their longstanding rivals ?

14 hours ago, Kris said:

If you go on form with reasonably fit sides from last season

Warrington

St Helens

Giants

Catalans

Wigan

Leeds

Castleford

Salford

Wakefield

Hull

KR

London

Well you started pretty well, stating that form would dictate the positions this coming season, then ruined it all by stating that Wire would win it, followed by the perennial bottlers, followed by two teams that never looked like winning it at any time during 2018.

Have another go.

I think most people see Saints and Wire being the top 2 and rightly so IMO.

As for the rest, really hard to call;

Wigan - Rebuilding but they could still go really well.

Leeds - Def. better than last year.

Cas - A tough year for me, recruitment not the best.

Cats, Wakey, Giants, Hull - All have potential to be top 5 but injuries, or lack of, are crucial.

KR - will shock a few for me.

London, Salford - Not really seen their squads but may suffer.

Looking forward to the season as a whole.

Warrington - Look strong in all areas.  Austin could take them to the next level.

Saints - Couple of good additions to replace Barba and Walmsley will be as good as a new signing.

Leeds - expect plenty of improvement.  New coach, some quality additions and Watkins returning.

Wigan - expect them to be a bit hit and miss this season but will probably do enough to grab 4th.

Catalan - Tomkins could be a big signing for Cats and expect him to add a bit more consistency.

Cas - No recruitment, outside backs look very weak.  Pack should be strong enough to dominate most of the lower half teams but will struggle to cut it against the top 4.

Wakey/Hudds (in either order)- strong starting 17 but may find it tough once injuries bite.

Hull - suspect inconsistency and injuries will scupper them.  

Salford - Some quality but lack depth.

Hull KR - Less quality than Salford and also lacking depth.

London - weakest squad in SL by a mile, likely whipping boys imo.

1. Warrington have recruited well with Blake Austin adding the x factor to the team's attack. They should be first ranked, certainly top two.

2. Leeds have recruited well with Konrad Hurrrell and Tuimoala Lolohea adding a lot to the backline attack alongside a rejuvenated Kallum Watkins.

3. St Helens have bought well with Kevin Naiqama starting in the centres alongside Mark Percival . But if dubious full back signing Lachlan Coote is injured or doesn't perform well (he did not perform well in Australia during 2018), then Naiqama may get the chance to show Super League what an exciting full back he is. The return of Alex Walmsley will be noticed.

4. If Matty Smith performs not brilliantly, but at least moderately well, then the addition of Sam Tomkins as a half to the Catalans' strong roster surely makes them a top four finisher.

5. Wigan are obviously much weaker without Sam Tomkins, John Bateman and Shaun Wane, and are unlikely to make the top four.

Archived