PNG Hunters players update

B rad

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/20182/112/19/png-hunters-announce-2019-squad/

The PNGRFL also wished those players leaving the club to continue their careers well; with Willie Minoga, Wartovo Puara Jnr and Stargroth Amean (who left the Hunters squad mid-season to study) the latest players to be snapped up by an overseas club.

They will play for Barrow Raiders in England; joining Ase Boas, Watson Boas and Thompson Teteh in the UK after they signed with Featherstone Rovers.

Rahdly Brawa and Edene Gebbie have made the move to the Wynnum Manly Seagulls in the Intrust Super Cup; while Brendon Gotuno will also trial and train with the Penrith Panthers.

I thought Stargroth was lost to our game. Glade he made a come back. I predict he will be a gun for Barrow next year. 

I suppose, much like Super League losing English players to the NRL or Catalans French players to other English clubs, that PNG Hunters losing players increases player churn and opens up more spots for PNG players. This can only widen the PNG elite player pool for the national team and so should be seen as a good thing.

Minoga's a tough lad, even by PNG standards.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Very smart signings by Barrow and Featherstone, I expect these to be some of the star players in the Championship in 2019

I feel they will be solid preformers however the Championship is a good standard and I can't see them being stars tbh against the likes of Gelling, Ford, Kherillah and 0'Brien... 

PNG players who are not already in the NRL are by in large willing and solid but unspectacular and lack skill. 

Having said that I can see the Hunters as a good place to recruit motivated players on lowish salaries who will do a good job and maybe there will be one who turns out to be a SL level talent. 

17 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

I feel they will be solid preformers however the Championship is a good standard and I can't see them being stars tbh against the likes of Gelling, Ford, Kherillah and 0'Brien... 

PNG players who are not already in the NRL are by in large willing and solid but unspectacular and lack skill. 

Having said that I can see the Hunters as a good place to recruit motivated players on lowish salaries who will do a good job and maybe there will be one who turns out to be a SL level talent. 

Stargroth Amean could be that talent.

Archived