Top class wingers this season

Col81

As I have said before I love a bet on the top try scorer markets it provides a good bet for the whole season injury aside. I have never known so many good wingers in a season. I can see lots of points this season my top 3 finishers are Johnson, makinson (although he rarely scores to many) Charnley. I also admire Greg Eden and he will walk it if he plays the full season. Then we have the likes of Regan Grace will he kick on? one thing I have noticed is Leeds seem to have no wingers of any note. WHO DO PEOPLE SEE AS THE TOP TRYSCORING WINGER THIS YEAR?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Col81 said:

one thing I have noticed is Leeds seem to have no wingers of any note.

If you ignore the international winger, Lance Todd Trophy winner in the number 2 shirt, yes. Briscoe, T was probably the least shining star of the 2014-16 All Star Backline but he's still a really, really good player and was one of the better ones last year.

8 minutes ago, Col81 said:

Briscoe seems to have lost his way. 

Bit of a myth. He had a couple of high profile horror shows through '16 and '17 (at Magic and in the cup semi vs Hull). But he pulled through it, McDermott stuck with him and he was outstanding in the '17 Grand Final.

But it's true he's not likely to be top try scorer.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Dom Manfredi is a fantastic winger and his return from injury last season was instrumental in WIgan's run and winning of the Grand Final. HIs tries from nothing, the metres he makes and match winning plays are invaluable.

Agree. If he stays fit hes a star who will be likely to have a huge impact on SL this coming season. 

Some genuinely top class wingers about . I’ve always thought there was something a bit special about Manfredi . Getting fit after so long and being part of that triumph was a real highlight . Him and Makinson are great to watch and have pretty much the whole package in a winger 

Kevin Sinfield

Sorry, just realised, wingers not whingers

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

7 hours ago, Col81 said:

Makinson finishing v new zealand was top class but he doesn't score big numbers for saints not to sure why

We play too much to our left, way too much.  It's very frustrating.  Hopefully with a new fullback and the failure experienced in two semi-finals, the coach will realise that our stellar winger on the right could do with some ball because Makinson really can finish tries.

Having said that, he had such a great season in 2018 he will be hard pressed to beat it in 2019.  Hopefully he will match it.

As for who will be the best winger in 2019 … I have not a single clue!  

9 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

A good winger needs a good pass, so best look inside him to decide who scores most. 

A lot of wingers tries these days are form kicks so look who is kicking.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Padge said:

A lot of wingers tries these days are form kicks so look who is kicking.

Yes, true.  As far as passing goes, the inside players and not just the centers are important of course. The hooker making a good choice in deciding which side to go can be the start.

The change in the corner flag rule has opened up a whole new range of possibilities for wingers.

14 hours ago, M j M said:

Bit of a myth. He had a couple of high profile horror shows through '16 and '17 (at Magic and in the cup semi vs Hull). But he pulled through it, McDermott stuck with him and he was outstanding in the '17 Grand Final.

But it's true he's not likely to be top try scorer.

If Briscoe didn't have Kirk Yeaman inside of him for several seasons he'd have at another 50 tries on his tally. I predicted TB was going to score loads at Leeds but think he lost a bit of confidence at times and really has not learnt/improved upon his defensive game since he left Hull, not helped when Leeds have been so wildly up and down. I'd still have him back at Hull (most our fans say he's garbage!) but he'd be wasted with the way we play.

Johnston won't be top try scorer next season, I'm going to go with an outside bet in Tom Lineham

4 hours ago, M j M said:

Do you mean Winner? His last game certainly lives long in the memory ?

The thing with Sinfield is that it's 'we' when you're winning and "I'm not the coach" when you're losing. When it came to the crunch and at the top level he was found wanting, was the difference at the death between a shot at the WC and not, great club player within a great team but nothing more.

58 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

If Briscoe didn't have Kirk Yeaman inside of him for several seasons he'd have at another 50 tries on his tally. I predicted TB was going to score loads at Leeds but think he lost a bit of confidence at times and really has not learnt/improved upon his defensive game since he left Hull, not helped when Leeds have been so wildly up and down. I'd still have him back at Hull (most our fans say he's garbage!) but he'd be wasted with the way we play.

Johnston won't be top try scorer next season, I'm going to go with an outside bet in Tom Lineham

Have to say as an onlooker, Briscoe has always disappointed since he went to Leeds. Never ever seems to back himself & take his opposing winger on.

Defensively lacking too. That long term injury really did stall his career.

Archived