Salford in financial trouble again?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope Salford are eventually make it through as we can’t afford to lose any more real clubs. However they will never have my full support until they reinstate their Academy.

To me it’s utterly unacceptable, how can you be a proper club unless you produce at least some of your own players.

I realise the current BOD were not responsible for this travesty but none the less it can’t carry on. The true culprits are the RFL who allowed this to happen in the first place. All because they couldn’t resist the Dr and his money which at the time made him the latest in a long list of white knights - pathetic.

Salford will never be a proper club until this issue is resolved imho.

Salford are a Part Time Championship Club trying to be a Full Time Super League Club. They cant afford to be a Full Time team at any level. They should accept this and look to get relegated and be a Part Time team. 

Being a PR team in the Championship is not something bad. Halifax, Fev and Batley have a good record and have beaten the bigger FT teams. Both Fax and Fev will run reserves in 2019. Something Salford could maybe look to do in future.

Salford and others cant keep hopIng somebody will keep helping them out. The management at clubs both in SL and outside needs to get out and sell themselves to the local and wider community much better than they do. Its a worry that after over 20 years most Clubs are more reliant on TV Money than ever before.All Clubs need to think outside of TV Money and look to other areas like bigger crowds, sponsorship and Marketing themselves much better.

York, Halifax, Bradford, Batley for example have all looked to do this and had success. Social Media even at a number of SL Clubs is a joke. How many Clubs try and work with ALL local amateur teams, schools? How many Clubs try and make games interesting and make it more than just another game? Make game day exciting and an event. Face painting Kids and Adults at Halifax has received a big positive with both home and away fans for example. York have used some great ideas to sell games as events. Maybe Salford need to look at such things.

9 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Not the full story as the reason for Salford wanting the money - or where it came from - hasn't been revealed.

It was more revealing that the Super League clubs - those that don't want clubs in The Championship/League 1 to have any central funding - apparently readily agreed and gathered the requested money.

Yet they didn't hold an emergency meeting and gather money for Toronto - probably soon to join them - or the French clubs,so they could enter the Challenge Cup - nor any money for Keighley;if it becomes worthwhile.

It is nice to think that the Super League clubs do though have such respect for Salford that they were willing to assist,at short notice.

Once again,though,the supporters of a club are kept in the dark.

The Challenge Cup is an RFL run competition, nothing to do with SL so why would they get involved?

15 hours ago, Oxford said:

On the Devil Talk forum they don't seem worried by this too much the fans and Salford fans worry about everything.

For a number of years now, the Salford club has been subject to a steady trickle of negative stories like this, and they invariably peter out into nothing. As a result, the Salford fans have decided to focus on the core business of worrying about things that are actually happening, and have outsourced the worrying about the impending Salfageddon to fans of other clubs, particularly The Daddy: the G4S of Salford's professional mourners.

6 hours ago, DoubleD said:

The Challenge Cup is an RFL run competition, nothing to do with SL so why would they get involved?

They haven't got involved - but the Challenge Cup has clubs from within and outside Super League yet only full time Super League clubs are able to win it in recent years.

Their actions/omissions must be based on self-interest,again.

You never know - it may have been money required to be paid by Salford should they reach the Challenge Cup Final...

( But I doubt it.)

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

4 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

They haven't got involved - but the Challenge Cup has clubs from within and outside Super League yet only full time Super League clubs are able to win it in recent years.

Their actions/omissions must be based on self-interest,again.

You never know - it may have been money required to be paid by Salford should they reach the Challenge Cup Final...

( But I doubt it.)

You do talk some nonsense at times, the Challenge Cup is not a SL run comp, there’s no agenda

11 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

I hope Salford are eventually make it through as we can’t afford to lose any more real clubs. However they will never have my full support until they reinstate their Academy.

To me it’s utterly unacceptable, how can you be a proper club unless you produce at least some of your own players.

I realise the current BOD were not responsible for this travesty but none the less it can’t carry on. The true culprits are the RFL who allowed this to happen in the first place. All because they couldn’t resist the Dr and his money which at the time made him the latest in a long list of white knights - pathetic.

Salford will never be a proper club until this issue is resolved imho.

Like i have said in another thread, No academy to me = no Super League place

59 minutes ago, Hammerless Nail said:

For a number of years now, the Salford club has been subject to a steady trickle of negative stories like this, and they invariably peter out into nothing. As a result, the Salford fans have decided to focus on the core business of worrying about things that are actually happening, and have outsourced the worrying about the impending Salfageddon to fans of other clubs, particularly The Daddy: the G4S of Salford's professional mourners.

Too true and it becomes the common currency of forums and partial reporting, gloomily.

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated?"

Severally and monotonously, a bit like the worst winter ever stories, bound to come true one day     ...... sadly.

And the truth is if they had a fully functioning academy side it'd be their crowds and if their crowds went up it would be not by enough and if they had a full house it would be ........

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Salford are completely unsustainable as a Super League club. In the regular season they had 30,000 paying spectators. This compares to Leeds 140,000, Hull fc 133,000, Saints 126,000, Wigan 117,000, Warrington 110,000, Catalan 92,000, Hull kr 88,000, Cas 87,000. You can’t run a Super League club with such little income, it’s only a matter of time before Salford go bust, the Championship could be the best place for them. 

24 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

the Championship could be the best place for them. 

Just kill them off altogether and save time.

15 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

You can say that about plenty of sports.

The difference being that many Rugby League clubs wouldn’t just fall from their lofty perch in the higher division, they’d become seriously and severely financially insolvent or fold completely.

There are about 5 English SL clubs who have revenue streams that would allow them to stay somewhat competitive. Leeds & Wigan could do so without much assistance from a benefactor while Sts & Warrington would need the financial input of their rich owners. The 5th possibility is Huddersfield who have one of the wealthiest and most committed owners in the game but their revenue must be very low. Hull FC have the fan base but a relatively poor owner.

Cas & HKR might survive as Championship Clubs

Salford & Wakefield would be gone as they have poor fan bases and owners who don’t have the finances or the inclination to put money in.

4 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Cas might survive as a Championship club

Salford, HKR & Wakefield would be gone as they have poor fan bases and owners who don’t have the finances or the inclination to put money in.

But when the idea is less clubs who have more money to share with each other and player acquisition like asset stripping some clubs need to be gone and people who champion this idea that some shouldn't be allowed in or to remain even when they've earned the right to do so ......

Salford's problem now was caused by the necessity to move to a new, out of town stadium, out of reach of most of the 'walk to the game' supporters that existed at The Willows. They were told they would not have retained their place in Super League if they had stayed, just like two other clubs! Since then it has been a never ending struggle to survive. Us true Salford fans will keep the faith that things will improve, and one day we will again be a big club in the game. For those of you who want us to disappear and die, shame on you.

I don't think anyone wants you to 'disappear and die', Johnh1 

Certainly, speaking only for myself of course, I want all clubs to thrive and grow - but there doesn't seem to be much sign of Salford doing that. Please enlighten us: what plans are in place for Salford to grow? How do you intend to grow the supporter base? After all, you cannot keep going on about how you 'had' to leave The Willows. Whatever happened then is history now, and The Willows has gone. Are there plans for an Academy, so you can start to develop players? How do you intend to engage with 'missing' supporters? And so on...

Simply saying you will 'keep the faith that things will improve' isn't really much of a strategy. And it is for that reason, the lack of an apparent plan to grow the club, that people get a bit cynical about Salford.

Anyway, good luck for the new season!

22 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

I bet it's not just Salford,I bet there's a fare percentage of the game in the knacker's yard financially.

That's a pretty safe bet.

22 hours ago, Hammerless Nail said:

Salford's failure to just lie down and die seems to be massively frustrating to some people.

I'm not commenting. Goodbye pinks, stupid new stadium on the ass-end of Peel Green, in the middle of nowhere, backed by our council that wont help the team where the town hall is based!

RIP SCRRLFC, Buenos Noches

I trust Salford can resolve any financial problems they are facing this season. I'd like to think that they have something to gain from the new regime of SuperLeague, too, in the guise of increased attendances - both home supporters and visiting supporters. 

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

Just kill them off altogether and save time.

Why would the Championship kill Salford off? It hasnt killed any other club off. As per usual Clubs need to adjust to reality and not pretends to be something they are not. The Championship is a fine competition that has a number of forward thinking clubs. Many SL clubs could learn alot from looking at how championship clubs do things.

The Willows could've been redeveloped. The North Stand was one of the best views in RL, Weaste Lane Stand (Shed) was garbage, demolish & Rebuild a new full length gym & Changing area, the changing rooms were awful, tiny. Kennedy Road could be doubled in width, and height, withought that cinder track, then made more attractive by Workington fans burning it down again, like they did in 1975/ The Club at the South side was OK in the 70's, like our Squash Club, but they were both male genitals.

And to prove beyond all doubt that this is true (and to cut this nonsense short)

image.png.e28e9b10ddab5f131a7ae43caa0a8f6a.png and how do I know this?

"Biblical APOCALYPSE: Is THIS the sign the world WILL end in 2019?"

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird-news/749054/end-of-the-world-2019-bible-rapture-apocalypse-jesus

7 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I don't think anyone wants you to 'disappear and die', Johnh1 

Certainly, speaking only for myself of course, I want all clubs to thrive and grow - but there doesn't seem to be much sign of Salford doing that. Please enlighten us: what plans are in place for Salford to grow? How do you intend to grow the supporter base? After all, you cannot keep going on about how you 'had' to leave The Willows. Whatever happened then is history now, and The Willows has gone. Are there plans for an Academy, so you can start to develop players? How do you intend to engage with 'missing' supporters? And so on...

Simply saying you will 'keep the faith that things will improve' isn't really much of a strategy. And it is for that reason, the lack of an apparent plan to grow the club, that people get a bit cynical about Salford.

Anyway, good luck for the new season!

There are people on this thread who want us to disappear and die. I'm just a simple, long standing supporter who loves the club. You can't blame us feeling miffed that we moved grounds when other clubs didn't and we suffered because of it. I don't have the wherewithall to have a strategy to grow the supporter base, as most supporters don't. Our club almost disappeared in the early 60's, yet got to Wembley in 69. The faithful few are hoping that something like that might happen again, otherwise we will just continue to struggle along with the occasional highlights and victories, like the mpg game two years ago. It's moments like that that help us to 'keep the faith'. 

But thanks for your good wishes. It's this time of year when we are all filled with optimism.

I foresee the death of some of the higher end clubs, who don't diversify. 

There are many, clubs that own their own premises, but do nothing to emphasise, and capitalise on this. Keighley, Bradford, HKR, Saint Helens, you are all doomed with 15 games per year. Salford do not take enough capital out of the Union revenue to be safe, neither is any sponsorship/naming rights guaranteed to any franchise in the RFL.

Salford sold the Willows, on Marwan Koukash say so, and he has killed your club like ours was. There isn't even a planning application in at the moment for those 300 Nurses homes that Peel Housing were proposing

10 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Why would the Championship kill Salford off?

It's nice that we're carrying on where 2018 left off completely misunderstanding each other's posts.

Gives one a sense of continuity with the past

Archived