Which NRL team will you follow in 2019?

I assume that the presence of a total of ten English players in the squads of certain NRL clubs in 2019 will attract the attention of some English fans.

Those NRL clubs with English players are:

Canberra Raiders: Josh Hodgson, Elliot Whitehead, John Bateman, Ryan Sutton

South Sydney Rabbitohs: Sam Burgess, George Burgess, Thomas Burgess

St. George-Illawarra Dragons: Gareth Widdop, James Graham

Sydney Roosters: Ryan Hall

Does the presence of certain English players in a team affect your preference for the team? Or do you like a particular NRL team for other reasons?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Roosters as I like the shirt and they have a illustrious history and some very exciting players in the present team. 

They have a glamour factor about them. 

I also like the Broncos as I feel they are a very iconic team and have a great name. 

Having many English players would make a team stand out more tbh however I would not support them for this. 

My favourite teams: Bears & Tigers have both been sidlined for a few years and I've no enthusiasm for Wests Tigers except when they play at Leichhardt, I enjoy watching Canberra not just for the English players but for the likes of Cotric and Rapana and their style of play but really my support goes to the Panther's, their playing roster is packed with talent but they have that old Bears trait of never knowing which of Dr Jekyll or Mr Hyde is going to turn up.

I've loosely been cheering for the Raiders since Whitehead arrived (I know the Burgii are all ex-Bradford, too, but not from the city).

Adding Bateman into the mix is only going to enhance that.

I'm also enjoying the defeatist nature of their fans.

People called Romans they go the house

1 hour ago, Manfred Mann said:

I assume that the presence of a total of ten English players in the squads of certain NRL clubs in 2019 will attract the attention of some English fans.

Those NRL clubs with English players are:

Canberra Raiders: Josh Hodgson, Elliot Whitehead, John Bateman, Ryan Sutton

South Sydney Rabbitohs: Sam Burgess, George Burgess, Thomas Burgess

St. George-Illawarra Dragons: Gareth Widdop, James Graham

Sydney Roosters: Ryan Hall

Does the presence of certain English players in a team affect your preference for the team? Or do you like a particular NRL team for other reasons?

This is the list I will follow this year. I would love to watch all the NRL games but I will prioritise these teams to watch the English contingent go around.

I don't support one particular team but I do enjoy watching the Rabbitohs in particular. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, The King Of Leon said:

Cronulla Sharks for me , Shaun Johnson to lead them around the Park alongside Matt Moylan and Josh Dugan ....nice

Johnson is overrated for me. He has no leadership skills and his kicking game is poor. He has one good game in five. His Highlights look good but the money he gets he is over paid.   No idea why Cronulla went for him as they have Flanaghans son who offers far more waiting for his chance. 

Had a soft spot for Canberra since the days of Meninga, Ferguson, Nadruku etc. Now, with the British contingent growing, I am eager to see them have some more success.

Other than that, NZ Warriors stopped underperforming last year, and I really hope they can move forwards from there. Still nowhere near title contenders, but if, one day, they take an iconic Australian trophy back across the Tasman with them, that'll be a kick up the Inverdale for the NRL.

Very intrigued to see what Johnson can do at Cronulla, and how Newcastle's extensive rebuilding continues.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Has to be the Cowboys for me, Thurston and the rest of them at Headingley a few years ago blew me away, as well as the Rhinos that night...thought they were a fantastic team! My team in the NRL.

5 minutes ago, East of the Moon said:

Has to be the Cowboys for me, Thurston and the rest of them at Headingley a few years ago blew me away, as well as the Rhinos that night...thought they were a fantastic team! My team in the NRL.

It'd be nice if they had a less appalling season than 2018. That was hard to watch.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It'd be nice if they had a less appalling season than 2018. That was hard to watch.

Yeah, very disappointing, hoping after some rebuilding they can recapture some of the sparkle they've showed up until last season...love watching them though, will have to get used to them without Thurston!

I've never really been able to get into following a particular team to any great degree. I suppose the first score I always look for when the results come in, so to speak, is manly's because they are probably the first Australian team I ever came across. Back when I was a little nipper in school there was a pe teacher who always seemed to be wearing a manly polo shirt so that has kind of stuck with me. 

If I'm watching a game though I tend to want the team with the English fella to win!

When I was playing for Walnut Warriors in Wakefield in about 1984/5, my wife bought me a Cronulla shirt for training  (because she liked the colours)... so when we moved to Sydney in 2008 and she rented a house in “the shire” we became sharks for life .... 

and whatever life and football may throw... as long as they remain the Cronulla Sutherland Sharks I will be a diehard fan!!! 

Up up Cronulla !!!

Archived