Obituary Thread

Ken Nordine, aged an entirely repectable 98. His 'Word Jazz' recordings were compelling, weird and often funny, delivered in a voice like vintage port poured over velvet: https://www.wbez.org/shows/wbez-news/word-jazz-creator-and-host-ken-nordine-dies/71c82188-3b11-432b-93da-91d83affdaad 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dick Churchill, last surviving member of those who escaped during the Great Escape, passed away on the 13th February aged 99.  Always maintained that he thought he was not one of the 50 executed because the Germans assumed he was related to Winston.

• Sad 1

By the way , on Gordon Banks , it’s an absolute disgrace every member of the 66 winning side didn’t get a knighthood . You look at some around nowadays and what you get them for . Plenty of time over the years to remedy it to

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DavidM said:

By the way , on Gordon Banks , it’s an absolute disgrace every member of the 66 winning side didn’t get a knighthood . You look at some around nowadays and what you get them for . Plenty of time over the years to remedy it to

I agree. After the New Years Honours annual fiasco I did have a slight disagreement with another member of this galaxy regarding the lack of a knighthood for Sir Gordon.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Roger Hunt , Martin Peters , George Cohen , Jackie Charlton , Nobby Stiles are still alive even though in various states of health . At the very least that must be remedied ASAP . 

So nominate 'em

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld*

*I thought he was a Bond villain

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

53 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Mark Hollis being reported. RIP. Great music

Often sighted for providing inspiration.  'Its My Life' and 'Life what you make it' still hold up well.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, shaun mc said:

Mark Hollis being reported. RIP. Great music

That's a real shock. He was a proper singer and songwriter. For me Talk Talk were one of the few "progressive" and innovative bands of the 80s. 

Spirit of Eden was considered their best CD.

My favourite was Live at Montreax in 1986 which contained more spacious and developed versions of their earlier songs. 

André Previn - conductor, composer and celebrated victim of Morecambe & Wise.

• Sad 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

42 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

André Previn - conductor, composer and celebrated victim of Morecambe & Wise.

He won 4 Oscars , 10 Grammys and was one of the great composers and conductors and he’d say all most people here said was he was on morecambe and wise ... when asked did it bother him he said no not at all it made me a household name ! 

RIP Mr Preview ... Privet

Edited by DavidM

21 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He won 4 Oscars , 10 Grammys and was one of the great composers and conductors and he’d say all most people here said was he was on morecambe and wise ... when asked did it bother him he said no not at all it made me a household name ! 

RIP Mr Preview ... Privet

He must have enjoyed it, as he came back for a quick follow-up sketch later in the show's run.

One of the things I really like about that sketch is watching the reaction of the orchestra. They'd have been hard-nosed, hard-drinking professionals - rarely impressed by anything or anyone. In the sketch, they are absolutely loving it. :smile:

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

24 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

He must have enjoyed it, as he came back for a quick follow-up sketch later in the show's run.

One of the things I really like about that sketch is watching the reaction of the orchestra. They'd have been hard-nosed, hard-drinking professionals - rarely impressed by anything or anyone. In the sketch, they are absolutely loving it. :smile:

My mam says the exact same thing every time she sees it . Especially the guy with the violin at the end . Great reactions and totally spontaneous 

In the search for approbation from our fathers that many of us do, the closest I got was sourcing a copy of Previn's Berlioz Requiem, long before it was readily available.  My dad had previously written to him asking for a recording and received a hand written reply.  

My dad was not one to be star struck, but Previn for him was a mighty conductor.