Obituary Thread

3 hours ago, Shadow said:

Nor would bonio’s ego

Or even David "The Hedge" Evans' rank of guitar pedals.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tony Garnett has died.

Involved in making Kes with Ken Loach among many other great projects like The Price of Coal , Between The Lines and This Life.

Also Cathy Come Home and many others. 

Edited by bazzzz65
Additional material

58 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Bernard .... 82

Brilliant.

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

--------------------------

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

Followed by a half a minute justification of this point of view.

On 21/12/2019 at 17:46, DavidM said:

Still a disgrace ALL of these guys didn’t get a knighthood . They achieved the ultimate we still live off and eulogise to this day . Especially when you see what folk get them for now 

Well said.

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

On 05/11/2019 at 17:05, graveyard johnny said:

he must have realised what misery they were about to bring to the world

A fine observation. Both from yourself & Gaybo. ?

Mainly known for his diffident civil servant character, Fowlds could also do sci-fi action hero!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 01/11/2019 at 17:43, terrywebbisgod said:

Former Oldham,Leeds and GB prop Hugh Waddell. 

R.I.P Hughie old pal.

I remember playing against the GB Legends side. "Vegas. Can you play in the backs today?" I said sure, who am I up against? I looked at the side. Chris Smith (Cas & Sts), Ikram Butt (***ds & *ev), Tony Marchant (Cas & Brraffutt - who never seems to age, so he's clearly a witch) & I'm thinking "No probs about playing in the backs again".

"No no", I get told. We need you to mark Newlove". I'm thinking "Paul ****ing Newlove? are you out of your mind?". So I just kept racing out of the line to stop the ball getting to him in the first place. He then leaves the field as his knees are bad. And I'm thinking "job done".

Then the coach goes, "can youse go in at prop? We're going destroyed in the scrums.". The coach has asked me... so I go okay, who am I up against? "Hugh Waddell".

First scrum, Hughie goes "You seem like yer up ferrit today, Big Man!". My arms are still sore from packing down against him. And such a decent man*.

* He picked me up after flattening me.

• Haha 1

I don't know if this was already posted, but "Big Den" died (Dennis Hartley), & I have to say what a kind man he was. I mean, seriously lovely (on the field he was a man that Malcolm Reilly & Artie Beetson admitted that they were afraid of him).

The funeral was a "who's who" of rugby - apart from me & his missus, obvs.

Johnny Ward (also a Wembley winner & Lions/Ashes-winning forward for Cas) said to "nah then d:c/<'ead, what's tha' been up to?". Whilst I'm composing a response, he points to Brian Lockwood (another serial Wembley winner & Lions forward) & says "& he's a dic/<'ead n all!" Never felt in such exulted company.

Unfortunately within days, Johnny also passed away.

There's a reyt front-row in Heaven these days.. ?

26 minutes ago, ckn said:

? 

26 minutes ago, Shadow said:

It seems particularly cruel when someone possessed with such intelligence and wit succumbs to dementia. So sad. ?

• Sad 1

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

44 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Funniest female impersonator of the Python crew.

Classic in the Life of Brian, impersonating a female, pretending to be a man.  Only Python could think of that!

Very sad

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Very saddened by this . Very fun man ... even funnier woman . He will go down as giving us one of the most famous lines in cinema history . And not to be forgotten a very academic man who adored history . So a doubly great man in my book !

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Very saddened by this . Very fun man ... even funnier woman . He will go down as giving us one of the most famous lines in cinema history . And not to be forgotten a very academic man who adored history . So a doubly great man in my book !

He made some very entertaining and informing documentaries, post-Monty Python. What a history teacher he might have been!

Ralph Waldo Emerson