Obituary Thread

This is a thread for reporting deaths and saying positive stuff. Enough please.

6 posts removed, including some completely fair enough ones quoting 2 that were not. 

• Thanks 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

33 minutes ago, ckn said:

6 posts removed, including some completely fair enough ones quoting 2 that were not. 

whats wrong with people? if you have to start removing posts from an obituary thread then its time to remove it,or them

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ckn said:

No it isn't.

It clearly states "Obituary Thread".

I can't be bothered tracking back, but don't remember many positive comments when Mugabe croaked.

Allow opinions good or bad, or take the thread down.

1 hour ago, BryanC said:

No it isn't.

I can't be bothered tracking back, but don't remember many positive comments when Mugabe croaked.

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.”

― John Donne, Meditation XVII - Meditation 17

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BryanC said:

No it isn't.

Yes, it is.

We’ve had Obituary threads for the 20 years I’ve been on here. We’ve run at least two polls over that time to assess what people wanted from them after a few were locked due to outright nastiness and the forum overwhelmingly has decided on all occasions that those are the rules for these threads.

The forum has decided that these threads are not negative ones and that if people want to have a rant about a dead person then they should go create a separate thread for them. We even upheld that rule when Thatcher died, not a single nasty or negative comment on Thatcher was posted on the Obit thread at the time, the Thatcher death gloating thread was a shame on the forum but it was a lively one..

For my own personal view, I’m delighted at the forum view on this. It’s nice to have at least one thread on the forum where people can come and be fairly sure they’re not going to get sucked into vile, bitter or outrageous posts. It’s also somewhere people can come and post about their own personal losses without the inherent tribalism of social media.

Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it’s wrong. Think of it this way, would you go to someone’s funeral and publicly whine about the dead person while grieving people are around? Why not treat this thread like the waiting area to a funeral? If you want to rant about someone, go create a thread, don’t do it here.

• Like 6

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Never heard of her before this.

Same , but as has been stated purely on a human level anything of this ilk is very sad for friends and family , and disturbing and sad that individuals get to this state 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

On 16/02/2020 at 07:44, Johnoco said:

That’s hardly a like for like comparison though is it? She was a lightweight entertainment presenter, fronting TV shows that were IMO, cobblers but for many others enjoyable. She was hardly comparable with Mugabe FFS. 

To come on the thread and basically say, ‘tough, she deserved it’ is not only unnecessary but pretty sick. I’m not sure what she did to warrant such venom but it must have passed me by. 

Besides which, we do get contributions where people say ‘well I never liked X but sad news all the same’. There’s bad opinions of people without unnecessarily sticking the boot in. 

And then there was the outporing of grief on BBC Breakfast that lasted nearly 15 minutes. FFS. She was a TV Presenter, it shouldn't get more than a 5 minute mention, certainly not more than Harry Gregg who saved lives in 1958.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/02/2020 at 01:58, Liverpool Rover said:

Sadly it it will keep on happening. People really think that they can say anything they want on social media.

Surely the answer is then not to be on any form of social media or am i missing something here?

• Like 1

One of our own: Pilkington Recs legend "Jethro" Geoff Philips

I was fortunate enough to play under his stewardship of the Pilks 'A' team in the 1980s. A true rugby league character; very well know and well loved in the rugby league community of the north west. RIP big fella.

• Like 1

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

3 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

One of our own: Pilkington Recs legend "Jethro" Geoff Philips

I was fortunate enough to play under his stewardship of the Pilks 'A' team in the 1980s. A true rugby league character; very well know and well loved in the rugby league community of the north west. RIP big fella.

Agreed I played when Jethro was in the background helping out with teams he was just one of the guys who were always there. RIP Jethro. 

• Like 1

Dr Heather Couper, astronomer and broadcaster.

Edited for spelling. There is an astronomer called Heather Cooper, but she's not the one who died.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Apropos of not much, last night I  was reminiscing about Edwin Shirley Trucking, haulier for many bands tours throughout the 1970's and 1980's. I once got a backstage pass to a Rolling Stones gig courtesy of my ex-brother-in-law being a friend of one of EST's managers.

I haven't seen any of their distinctive wagons for years ...   purple livery with the logo "You Rock, We Roll". Looked Edwin Shirley up on Google and he died in 2013. His son ran the business for a few years but returned to academia.  Nowadays he's an astronomer. So there's still stars in the family.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police