Obituary Thread

1 hour ago, Padge said:

Far more talented than often given credit for.

The Hudd Lines was always great.

As has been pointed out already, not just an entertainer, not just a talented actor, but also a historian of an era of entertainment that might have been forgotten without his decades of dedication.

• Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Big Dave Young.

Long standing mate of mine going way back to Wigan Beer Keller days. Succumbed to the BIg 'C' after a long hard battle.

R.I.P. big buddy.

Edit, just realised in these times big C may have a different connotation, it was cancer not corona.

Edited by Padge

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Kenny Rogers (81) Just announced

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 10:40, Futtocks said:

Roy Hudd.

Extremely knowledgeable about British music hall comedy.  Not just the nationally famous but regionally famous acts like Frank Randle, and Bobby (The Little Waster) Thompson.  Two men I find funny even today.  A sad loss.   I wonder if Archie Shuttleworth (his part in Corrie) is doing the funeral.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

7 hours ago, Padge said:

As a card player his line from The Gambler "you never count your money while you're sitting at the table, there'll be time enough for counting when the last deal is done"  has always been my maxim.  Well Kenny the last deal is done lad.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I notice Betty Williams of the Northern Ireland Women's Peace Movement, died on St Patricks Day.  A Nobel Prize Winner.

Clement Attlee.

7 hours ago, Padge said:

I hadn't realised he wasn't from a classic Country background, but had been in jazz, blues, psychadelic pop and folk until he drifted in Country by accident.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 10:40, Futtocks said:

Roy Hudd.

Here he is introducing Bobby Thompson

Clement Attlee.

12 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Here he is introducing Bobby Thompson

Wow that brings back memories . My granda was a Geordie , he adored Bobby Thompson and as a kid he never tired of telling me 

34 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Wow that brings back memories . My granda was a Geordie , he adored Bobby Thompson and as a kid he never tired of telling me 

He was a really funny man, and not that hard to understand.  But he like Frank Randle was adjudged by those running the theatres to be unsuitable for anyone south of Nottingham.

Clement Attlee.

10 minutes ago, Trojan said:

He was a really funny man, and not that hard to understand.  But he like Frank Randle was adjudged by those running the theatres to be unsuitable for anyone south of Nottingham.

He packed em out everywhere across the north 

Asterix illustrator Albert Uderzo.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

36 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Saxophonist Manu Dibango 

Looks like I'll be playing Polysonik good and loud through the headphones some time soon. :kolobok_sad:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 24/03/2020 at 10:04, Futtocks said:

Asterix illustrator Albert Uderzo.

For those of us who read the Asterix stories in English, much credit must go to Anthea Bell, who translated them, with great thoughtfulness and wit, from the French.  She died about fifteen months ago.  Her brother was Martin Bell, the 'man in the white suit' who famously became the independent MP for Tatton.  Her son was Oliver Kamm, a leader writer and columnist for The Times, who also takes a much more relaxed approach to both written and spoken English than many, explained in his Accidence will happen. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I'm unfamiliar with his work but will dig around and have a listen.

'Soul Makossa' was his biggest hit, but 'Polysonik' was the first album of his that I heard, and I still love it.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson