Obituary Thread

A hard man, but then every side had its hard man. Hunter wasn't unique.  He was part of Revie's Leeds family , which is shrinking.  John Giles in his autobiography says the only people he really feels comfortable with (aside from family) are his former Leeds team mates.  Well there's one less today.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

9 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

As my mate earlier said, the reason we failed to qualify for the WC74 wasn't because Hunter missed that tackle.

Both he and Shilton describe that game as the lowest ebb of their career.

Shilts was as much at fault for the goal. He should have stopped that.

One of the most disappointing sporting days of my youth.

Norman was a hero in Barnsley. He followed Clarkey into the managers job, got us up and had a great team. A great period in reds history 

What people conveniently forget about that qualifying group is that against Wales at Wembley England were 1-0 down until Hunter - playing in midfield - smashed in a screamer to rescue a draw.

Then in Poland a bad mistake by Bobby Moore gave the Poles their second goal that killed off the game and made the final game against the Poles one we had to win.

P.S. In the away game against Poland, Alan Ball was sent off for ‘grabbing Lewslaw Cmikiewicz by the throat and kneeing him in the groin after a player scuffle’.  Those were the day!

The total irony of 73 was that Hunter and Shilt’s made errors which were so utterly out of character . Norman wasn’t known for being half hearted in his challenges and everyone knows  Shilt’s qualities . They were a symptom of collective underachievement and they’re a drop in the ocean in terms of how great , long lasting and iconic they were in their careers

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LeeF said:

Hunter I think played over 500 games for Leeds, another 100+ for Bristol City and then played at Barnsley. That’s a great number of matches

Yes, he had a long career, playing well into his thirties IIRC.

Could the Norman Hunter appreciation society retire to the Football Thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 09/04/2020 at 10:50, Robin Evans said:

Don't think she's done much more with her youth than the rest of us. She just did it with someone who, if discovered, would result in international notoriety.... and it came to pass.

Had she engaged in the same activity with my mate Dave from Ponty, nobody would have heard of her.

She sounded a well grounded interesting lass when I heard her speak. A likeable soul.

At the time, I was young and saw them both as grown ups.

Now, I have had young women who behave like Lewinsky and are clearly vulnerable even if they do not know it.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

It will probably mean nothing to almost everyone on here, but...

Dave Rawson. Local guitarist of many local bands over the years, most notably (in my opinion) was dizzy spells.

A brilliant massive under achieving guitarist who shunned the big time because he lacked confidence in his own artistry. Covid-19 victim. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

Hulme Grammar school?

I was a pupil there too , 1970-1977.......

I was at Salford Grammer 72-77, but after 73 it was made into A Comprehensive,  but it was same teachers doing same lessons. Although there was some crossovers as we combined with the Girls School next door.

My cousin has died in Cumbria. I wanted to go to her funeral but it turns out that it will be next Tuesday. Prior to last year I often drove up to Barrow and back on the same day. Unfortunately it is now to far for me to manage. As an hotel is out of the question I won't be able to go.

Booldy Covid 

• Sad 5

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

8 minutes ago, Bearman said:

My cousin has died in Cumbria. I wanted to go to her funeral but it turns out that it will be next Tuesday. Prior to last year I often drove up to Barrow and back on the same day. Unfortunately it is now to far for me to manage. As an hotel is out of the question I won't be able to go.

Booldy Covid 

Sorry to hear this news. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Jill Gascoine, aged 83 after a long illness https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52471574

I was a big fan of her in 'The Gentle Touch', and cop shows aren't usually my sort of thing. :kolobok_sad:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Trevor Cherry. He used to enter every Bradford nightclub on a Fridaay night to make sure his players weren't out on the night before a game.

Another Mighty White taken by the a Good Lord.

I can only imagine that the a Good Lord wanted to strengthen the defence in his team of all white so took Norman and Trevor.  This now means that the Good Lord can make a tactical change and move John Charles up front.

14 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Dave Greenfield from the stranglers.

Another one from my youth gone. 

punk and post punk keyboards seem to have sound all of their own

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Ex Miami Dolphins coach Don Shula 90. Shula has the most wins as an NFL coach and also in 1972 the only coach to take a team thru a season unbeaten.

• Sad 1

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.