Obituary Thread

12 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Dave Greenfield from the stranglers.

Another one from my youth gone. 

Woke this morning to the news. Not often that I'm affected by the passing of "famous" people not having actually met them, but this one has got to me. I was a big fan and The Stranglers really did provided the soundtrack to my youth. Dave's keyboard playing was the heart of The Stranglers sound. Truly gutted. ?

• Like 1

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

33 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Woke this morning to the news. Not often that I'm affected by the passing of "famous" people not having actually met them, but this one has got to me. I was a big fan and The Stranglers really did provided the soundtrack to my youth. Dave's keyboard playing was the heart of The Stranglers sound. Truly gutted. ?

Pretty much.... I remember peaches... it blew me away.... 6th form n'all that

• Like 1

On 29/04/2020 at 23:16, Wolford6 said:

Trevor Cherry. He used to enter every Bradford nightclub on a Fridaay night to make sure his players weren't out on the night before a game.

He had a very good career. As well as being an accomplished Huddersfield Town footballer, England international, player for Bradford & Leeds, manager at Bradford City and he successful businessman, he was a down to earth and approachable chap. RIP. 

15 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Dave Greenfield from the stranglers.

Another one from my youth gone. 

Dave Greenfield's keyboard playing gave The Stranglers a different sound from most of the new wave bands around in the late 70s & early 80s. They were arguably the best band of that period and one of the best British bands ever. I remember vividly seeing them live the first time. RIP Dave.

• Like 1

Dave Greenfield was integral to the Stranglers sound , it set them apart from the other groups that came along on the Punk wave . Always loved groups with a prominent keyboard player , time for a quick blast of Walk On By .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, longboard said:

Dave Greenfield's keyboard playing gave The Stranglers a different sound from most of the new wave bands around in the late 70s & early 80s. They were arguably the best band of that period and one of the best British bands ever. I remember vividly seeing them live the first time. RIP Dave.

Saw them only a couple of years ago. They were a still a fine live band and a great reminder of what an outstanding back catalogue they have.

Really sad to hear he's gone.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

Saw them only a couple of years ago. They were a still a fine live band and a great reminder of what an outstanding back catalogue they have.

Really sad to hear he's gone.

So did I. They've still got it. Which is probably more than you can say about hundreds of bald, fat, middle aged blokes who still think they can pogo through an entire set but are wheezing and gasping for air before the first song is half way through! ?

• Like 1

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

10 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

So did I. They've still got it. Which is probably more than you can say about hundreds of bald, fat, middle aged blokes who still think they can pogo through an entire set but are wheezing and gasping for air before the first song is half way through! ?

They weren't even middle aged. They were old....Dave was 71..... and they still rocked... and as you say.... proper rocked. They weren't blowing out their botty half was through the set.

Edited by Robin Evans
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

They weren't even middle aged. They were old....Dave was 71..... and they still rocked... and as you say.... proper rocked. They weren't blowing out their botty half was through the set.

It's not the band that I was talking about, it was myself and my fellow audience members! JJB us pushing 70 but still looks like he could manage 80 minutes of rugby league.

Edited by Griff9of13
  • Like 1

When I were a lad (no, wait, come back!), I hated Kraftwerk and electronic music in general. Over the years, it sort of got under my skin and I eventually got it. Those wonderful analogue synth tones are now filling my flat as I play the 'Trans Europa Express' album.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 hours ago, Futtocks said:

When I were a lad (no, wait, come back!), I hated Kraftwerk and electronic music in general. Over the years, it sort of got under my skin and I eventually got it. Those wonderful analogue synth tones are now filling my flat as I play the 'Trans Europa Express' album.

I always loved them, right from the Autobahn days. They created some fantastic melodies.

Another sad loss to the world of music.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Just in passing , my granda was one of 12 brothers ... and 10 of them served in the war . For example Uncle Kit was a pilot and Uncle Ted was captured by the Japanese and came back home totally broken and eventually vanished without trace . The other two were in reserve occupations . I think of them at times like this

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

Roy Horn, from the Vegas act Siegfried & Roy, has died of COVID-19.

• Sad 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson